New years resolensons!

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there any bits of equipment that you've promised yourself next year??

I think it would be a nice discussion for goals and best buys this year :)

There's a few lenses on my must have next year goal and they are as follows:

-Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS
-Tokina 12-24mm f4
-Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR (had this and sold for a sigma 120-400 which I sold for a compact which I sold for another compact and although I love my compact, wish I still had the 105 lol).

As a side goal, I want to make time for more photography trips starting with another camping trip to the lake district!

My best buy this year......tricky one. 18-200 or gorillapod....

I'll go with the gorillapod!!!! It's great because I can have a tripod with me anywhere I go hasselfree and that tripod can attach to anywhere :)

Anyone else have any photography related goals they would like to share??

Phil Young said:
Is there any bits of equipment that you've promised yourself next year??

I think it would be a nice discussion for goals and best buys this year :)

There's a few lenses on my must have next year goal and they are as follows:

-Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS
-Tokina 12-24mm f4
-Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR (had this and sold for a sigma 120-400 which I sold for a compact which I sold for another compact and although I love my compact, wish I still had the 105 lol).

As a side goal, I want to make time for more photography trips starting with another camping trip to the lake district!

My best buy this year......tricky one. 18-200 or gorillapod....

I'll go with the gorillapod!!!! It's great because I can have a tripod with me anywhere I go hasselfree and that tripod can attach to anywhere :)

Anyone else have any photography related goals they would like to share??

I'd like to second shoot a few weddings. Also add one or two L lenses. (A prime and a short zoom).

Don't think either will happen though. :(

3x6d's to replace 40ds that re getting tired, looking forward to that bill.

Maybe a upgrade to the Wacom 21ux if all goes well.

kris3291 said:
I'd like to second shoot a few weddings. Also add one or two L lenses. (A prime and a short zoom).

Don't think either will happen though. :(

I would like to second shoot for a couple members on here as I think I could learn so so much from them.

For me has to be.

85mm 1.4g

A fast zoom for sports and thats me sorted.

On a shooting point of view, I really want to get out with someone to learn more and or get some studio practice.

Hmm looks like a sensible ask. ;)

No plans to get anything else next year - if anything, my plan is to control my GAS better!

Maybe a few more trips with a camera. Not necessarily photographic trips or breaks, just get out snapping a bit more. Of course I'll have some extra health and fitness next year, not to mention a few fewer stone in weight... Current plans include a filthy 48 in early January and a (yet to be booked but much anticipated) usual June fortnight in Crete. Also aiming for a September fortnight there, with a week in one place then the second week on a mini tour to South coast towns and villages. Maybe in 2014, we'll drive down - be more expensive (and slower!) than flying but a lot more comfortable. Not sure about the Jag on those Cretan roads though - not so much the road conditions, more the driving "standards" of some locals.

Got a couple of longer term travel plans, including the Seychelles and NZ but nothing concrete yet. Iceland at some point too.

I'd like to add a 70-200 f/2.8 to my small collection of primes and maybe a decent flash gun or two.

I'd like to spend far more time shooting with my camera and far less time looking at others fantastic contributions here and other places.

If I could achieve both of those, I'd be quite happy this time next year photography wise.

Last edited:
I'd like to add a 70-200 f/2.8 to my small collection of primes and maybe a decent flash gun or two.

I'd like to spend far more time shooting with my camera and far less time looking at others fantastic contributions here and other places.

If I could achieve both of those, I'd be quite happy this time next year photography wise.

:plus1:

D800 + video equipment and maybe a nice 85mm

In reality, probably lots more studio practice as I need it and hopefully some studio space.

equipment wise im satisfied (have said that before)

im just wanting more experience, maybe some training days and more free time to get out and about taking pictures...- thats more days off boss if your reading!!

My D700 will be four in January, but doesn't need replacing. Lens wise - may upgrade my 35mm F2 for the Sigma 35mm F1.4, and I wouldn't mind a carbon fibre tripod as my aluminium one has served me well but is too big and heavy for carrying long distances. Maybe a Wacom tablet as well if my annual bonus will stretch that far!!!

Job and finances willing(and unless I spunk loads on a new(ish) bike something like;

Nikon 70-200 f2.8(prob s/h vr1) and a tele to match or Sigma if I can't stretch that far.

Nikon 105micro or Tamron 90 macro again depending on cash.

For me, if the money fairy is kind, something wider, to 10mm and something L, would love 400 but I think the Fairy and the Mrs might have differing views.
All in all I've had a great first year with the DSLR but the classified on here seem to draw you in like an electric magnet'

Let's hope Jan, Feb, March and April are extremely cold and many many boilers break down ;)

Last edited:
I'd like a property landlord that doesn't have me jumping through hoops for weeks coming up with detailed plans for a studio only to tell me they've let the property to some charity or coffee house - it's happened three times since the beginning of October :bang:

On the gear front, two D600 bodies to replace my D300's :D

I'm that sad that I find myself wandering the forum even when I'm out shooting!!!!!!

Who would have thought something so simple like a discussion site could bring so many like minded people together!?

I know I said this year but seriously, the best thing I've achieved in photography was to join TP - I have never been a member of another forum for photography nor do I feel I need to :)

I accept I'm a saddo lol.

I'll be getting some of my photos printed and framed for the house.

I will be getting a Nikon 24-70 at some point next year.

Best buy this year my Siggy 70-200 by a country mile.

New years resolensons!

What?

.....to stop being controlled by upgrading gear, buying/selling, pixel peeping, photoshopping, and worrying what other people do or say on TP.

When the last of my gear sells, I will be buying a compact, snapping away to my hearts content and creating memories - not continually trying to create works of art.

IMHO far more important than worrying about how many MPs, apertures, or ISOs

Good on you Alan! A hobby should be about enjoyment and results you're happy with rather than chasing absolute perfection (or what is perceived as such). The best kit available can't make anyone a better photographer, all it can do is make any photographer's results better.

I'm going to be getting a bigger one :eek:

Canon Rumours seem to think there are some new EF 400mm lenses on the way in 2013... a 5.6 MkII with IS and also possibly a non-DO f4. The latter would be the one for me but until we know exactly what they're up to I'll probably grab a 150-500 Siggy as a stop-gap.

I'd like a Nikon 105 Macro and a 85 f1.8 (1.4 would be nice) for portraits but can't see me affording both, so it may be the 85 and maybe the tamron 90mm Macro??

105 might kill both birds with one stone though? How is it for portraits?

Decisions decisions...

There's nothing I'm really after on the gear side of things, I just want to get out to use my equipment more and enjoy it! :)

i just want an FX UWA.
prob 14-24 but i'm strongly considering the 17-35 :thinking:

I've had a lot of issues with the 17-35 2.8 in the past. Its a tricky lens, excellent range, but should only be bought new, as a lot of used ones have AFS/swm motor issues...
My vote is for the 16-35/4! Stunning piece of glass...

Sigma 35mm will be my first buy,only other real/materialised item would be some studio lights. Un materialised items would be a new sigma/Nikon 135 f2 and the hopeful d4 in d800 body that was posted on NR..

I need to get out shooting more and learn flash work as I've had a flash for nearly two years and barely used it.

I'm considering the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM when I can stretch to it. I'm also thinking about signing myself up for a portrait & studio evening course at my local art college.

In the meantime I shall be concentrating on learning low key with the gear I've already got in the cramped confines of my living room and kitchen.

Merry Christmas to one and all. (y)

There's nothing I'm really after on the gear side of things, I just want to get out to use my equipment more and enjoy it! :)

This, mostly; but:

The only thing missing from my lens line-up is a good wide angle prime; which doesn't seem to exist. Something to complement my Tamron 28-75mm on the D700.
The Nik 24mm f/2.8 wasn't wide enough (or good enough), and the Nik 20mm f/2.8 is reputedly crap.
If only Samyang would get busy on a 20mm, give or take a couple of mm. Their 14mm sounds really good, but too wide for me.

Please don't mention the Zeiss Distagon 21mm; not even slightly in the price band.

Short of a lottery win I don't really think there's much more that I want. A 1Dx, a 1D MkIV, a 400 f2.8L IS and/or a 600 f4L IS, a few small L primes (28,35,50,85) are all on my list and are all out of my price range but there's nothing to stop me dreaming.

If I don't get the lottery win though I wont be disappointed with what I've got now. I'd just like to get some more chances to shoot and get some more great photos again next year.

Back