New years resolensons!

I will be getting a Nikon 24-70 at some point next year.

Best buy this year my Siggy 70-200 by a country mile.

Agreed, it's an amazing lens. I'll be getting either a 35 1.4, 85 1.4 or a D800 lol. That's all I'm interested in. Had the sigma 70-200 been a stinker I'd love to have used it as an excuse to get a 70-200 vr2

My resolutions are to take more photos, get to better locations and get myself into better positions when taking photos

I aim to get another Nikkor 85mm f1.4G. Mine got stolen :(

I would like to update my 70-200F2.8 VR with a VRII... but I'm struggling to justify that.

I'm also debating whether to trade in the D800 for a D800E.... and I'm also struggling to justify that too.

My money may actually be better spent investing in a Leaf Mamyia or Phase One based system with a IQ back. I can borrow one of these beasties any time I like, but there's nothing better than owning your own.

I also want a supercharger for my Mustang.

I need a higher paid job!

I'd like to complete the project I'm currently working on, and get it published in Source or Foam, or have it exhibited. I never finish projects since I started teaching full time... so that's my main goal.

a new D600 and a secondhand 24-70 f2.8

Every Nikonians dream if they don't already have it. Surprising really given all the talk of dirt/oil on sensors, but hey, that is just further testament to how good this camera and lens must be.
Certainly I would be chuffed to bits to acquire one of these this year and that has to be my aim. Achievable? Don't know!:shake:

My goal is to sell my efs lenses in the new year rather than keep putting it off!!!!

I would love to save enough for a 17-40.
That would give me a line up of 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200 all f4! paired with my 5dmkii.

I've started a 365 recently so hope to keep my mojo throughout the next 361 days :)

This year was my biggest spending ever on camera gear. I was in a very lucky position to do so, got it all done while I had the chance. I may never have that kind of cash again! I also managed to sell ore this year than any other, all my old DX gear went without any real loss too.

Got the D800E, 24-70, 105mm, a new 50mm 1.8G, the 70-200 VRII, bought some new bags, a couple of SB900 units, a new tripod, and a gorrilapod, a second light stand ... cant think of anything else I need right now, wouldn't mind a wide angle but it's not a must.

Every Nikonians dream if they don't already have it. Surprising really given all the talk of dirt/oil on sensors, but hey, that is just further testament to how good this camera and lens must be.
Certainly I would be chuffed to bits to acquire one of these this year and that has to be my aim. Achievable? Don't know!:shake:
That was happening with the first batch but in the new year the problem should already be sorted.

I've had a lot of issues with the 17-35 2.8 in the past. Its a tricky lens, excellent range, but should only be bought new, as a lot of used ones have AFS/swm motor issues...
My vote is for the 16-35/4! Stunning piece of glass...

went for the 14-24 in the end :nuts:

just need to get out & use it now..

Nothing too extravagant from me. I only got the D7000 6 weeks ago and already have a few lenses.

Will be adding the Nikon 35mm AF-S f/1.8 and a new bag in the next few weeks. Currently I only have a huge Lowepro bag which while very nice to hold everything I own, is too much when I just want to walk about town.

Since one of my two aims for 2013 is to get my camera out more often, a smaller bag that I can take to work/out is a part of that aim.

Been looking at the Manfrotto Stile Bella V as a suitable option at only £25. Though I don't think it is big enough to take my D7000 with the grip that I really do like to keep on.

Last edited:
Nothing too extravagant from me. I only got the D7000 6 weeks ago and already have a few lenses.

Will be adding the Nikon 35mm AF-S f/1.8 and a new bag in the next few weeks. Currently I only have a huge Lowepro bag which while very nice to hold everything I own, is too much when I just want to walk about town.

Since one of my two aims for 2013 is to get my camera out more often, a smaller bag that I can take to work/out is a part of that aim.

Been looking at the Manfrotto Stile Bella V as a suitable option at only £25. Though I don't think it is big enough to take my D7000 with the grip that I really do like to keep on.

What you need is a Bilingham Hadley Pro, plenty of room for a D7000, lens, flashgun if needed and also a newspaper/magazine. It's what I'll be getting if/when my "manbag" gives up the ghost. My current setup is a standard manbag from Next, with a camera insert from ebay, works really well and is quite inconspicuous - it's no Bilingham mind...

Many things! Mainly for shooting film...
A great tripod.
A camera slider or dolly.
A shoulder rig or glide cam of some sort
Lighting equipment
External mic
Wide angle lens or fisheye
An L lens ;)

So much to get as I'm only 18 and a student so my gear at the mo is very small:(

That was happening with the first batch but in the new year the problem should already be sorted.
I hope they do. Sounds like a great camera. If crop sensors are to be phased out (which was a rumour) I'll be looking to one of these. Not a bad price either at the moment.

I'd like to get a 70-200 (canon f4 is or sigma 2.8 OS) and / or a canon 100-400 or sigma 150-500 in 2013.

What you need is a Bilingham Hadley Pro, plenty of room for a D7000, lens, flashgun if needed and also a newspaper/magazine. It's what I'll be getting if/when my "manbag" gives up the ghost. My current setup is a standard manbag from Next, with a camera insert from ebay, works really well and is quite inconspicuous - it's no Bilingham mind...

I'm sure the Billingham is nice (not the Tan one though :puke:) but I'm not dropping £160 on a camera bag. That's £100 over what I'm looking at and is money that I could better spend on a lens. It does seem difficult to find a bag large enough to take a gripped body and 2 lenses and it not be a suitcase (compared to the many that will take a non gripped SLR adn 2 lenses) or expensive.

I shall hunt around further. The Nikon 35mm AF-S f/1.8 should be mine in a week though :D

Last edited:
Darren, have a look at RedSnapper's range of bags. I reckon one of their bags might be what you're after at a price you'll be happy with. I know at least one pro wedding photographer who uses one with a gripped D700 and a selection of f/2.8 lenses (she uses a Duo IIRC). In fact, the Duo might be too big for what you're looking for - possibly encouraging any GAS you may have to fill the space!

DBT85 said:
I'm sure the Billingham is nice (not the Tan one though :puke:) but I'm not dropping £160 on a camera bag. That's £100 over what I'm looking at and is money that I could better spend on a lens. It does seem difficult to find a bag large enough to take a gripped body and 2 lenses and it not be a suitcase (compared to the many that will take a non gripped SLR adn 2 lenses) or expensive.

I shall hunt around further. The Nikon 35mm AF-S f/1.8 should be mine in a week though :D

Manfrotto do a range of nice messenger type bags in the £50-60 price range, I had a look at one in Jessops a few weeks ago and was quite impressed.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Jessops have got the Manfrotto Unica V bag in the red and white which I quite like the look of for only £30. The regular plain colours are £40 for White and £60 for the Black or Cord.

It's bigger than I was looking for, but it'll mean I don't need my regular bag that I take everywhere with me which holds my current book, PS Vita, lunch, etc.

I'm quite sure that they do a range of sizes, it may be that Jessops don't stock the full range, check out the Manfrotto website.

I'd like to put one of my images on a big canvas and hang it in my new house next year. Maybe a couple of smaller images too.

Equipment wise I'll be browsing the classifieds for the right 70-200 L. Apart from that I'll try and keep my money in my pockets!!

I would like to replace my Sigma 18-200 with a Canon 70-200 f/4 before I start going to air shows in the summer.

I'd also like a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and a better tripod than my crappy Jessops one!

I'll definitely be getting myself an 85mm...I don't think I can justify the cost of the 1.2L and it probably wouldn't suit my needs any way, so it'll be the 1.8 which is still a fantastic piece for about 900 less! And I'll use that 900 to go towards a 24-70II as the prices seem to be falling a bit so hopefully in a couple of months they'll have settled even more.

I'd like to invest more time into my photography. Went through a phase buying all I could ever want and then found no time to go out and enjoy it :(

I'm quite sure that they do a range of sizes, it may be that Jessops don't stock the full range, check out the Manfrotto website.

I have sadly. Manfrotto have quite a jump from a bag large enough for just a SLR with no grip + a couple of small lenses to a bag that can take your entire summer clothing for holiday. As I said, I currently carry a backback everywhere anyway so getting something a bit bigger means I'll only have the one bag with me and also mean I always have the camera which is what I want. It would all be so much easier if I just didn't use the grip but it's so good for me!

I'd like to invest more time into my photography. Went through a phase buying all I could ever want and then found no time to go out and enjoy it :(

This has been me for several years. By the time I sold my D80 I'd had it for about 5 years and had only taken about 13,000 images. My aim for 2013 is to carry it with me almost everywhere (hence the new bag) and to continue my web development learning.

I've always felt self concious when out in public taking pictures but noticed something with my family on Boxing day. With my 50mm on nobody really noticed me taking any pictures so I have a lot of more natural shots. I put the much larger 24-70mm Sigma on as I wanted one particular image (Sister + dog on sofa) and she immediately noticed I was taking a pic of her and got self concious. She saw the lens and assumed I was zooming in on her, when in reality I was after a wider angle than the 50mm could offer.

I did have the nice Nikon 70-300mm VR and a Sigma 10-20mm EX DC but both got used so very very rarely that I sold both.

Amen to that. I spent last year accumulating loads of gear. It was superb stuff but I think I became far more interested in the equipment than the image taking. A never ending drive for perfection. I got a kick up the bum to an extent as we're looking to upgrade our house early next year and when scraping a deposit together, it's quite hard to ignore the thousands of pounds worth of camera gear that get's used to a fraction of it's potential.

So my plan for 2013 which is very much already underway is to strip back my gear to:

A compact (my S90)
My Fuji X100 which I'll use mainly for landscapes, architecture etc.
A D300 with a 50mm and a flash for people. I may also pick up a cheap wide zoom but that can wait.
An Olympus OM1N as I really want to use B&W film much more next year.

I also intend to print more images and print them big!

I've still got most of my high end gear but have deliberately boxed it all up ready to go to a new home and have been using my new set up over Christmas and so far I'm finding it a total breath of fresh air. No constant lens swapping for fear that an 85mm would have worked better than a 50... or that maybe I should be using two flashes rather than just one. You get the idea!

2013 is my year of purity, (erm sort of) and I'm really looking forward to it.

:)

Last edited:
I have few things I'd like to do (or get) in the next year...

On the gear front, I'm probably going to add a 60D to go alongside my 5DMKIII as a second body for those times when I could do with extra reach and I'm also going to try and get myself an EF100mm L macro. For the fun stuff, I might add a Sigma 30mm f/2.8 and a Samyang 7.5mm for the Panasonic G3. :)

On a personal level, I fully intend to get more involved with meets and trips out with friends I've made on here. I'm really looking forward to getting to Skokholm for a week in July and I've got ideas for organising a couple of events over here too! (y)

My Jessops vouchers arrived :clap: New toys for me on Monday!

I've decided to give up the ciggies! My e-cig from smoke-green arrived today, and it's now a good 4hrs since I've had a proper one. If I haven't killed anyone over the next few weeks I aim to buy the new Sigma 35mm 1.4 with the savings from the cig's + selling an sb900, maybe my 105mm and a few other bits and pieces.

Good on you Cagey! Hopefully helpful hint - stick whatever cash you would normally spend on ciggies in a jar - seeing the savings build up before your very eyes is a big incentive to stay off them. Keep an eye on your weight! It's all to easy for diversion eating to take over and the pounds to start piling on...

Cheers :) A friend on FB suggested the same, she said her hubby started up a cash jar and had enough to buy a camera before long :) I estimate I spend just shy of €100 per week on them.

The weight thing is the problem, on top of my complete lack of will power. I'm at my heaviest ever currently, my cholesterol is through the roof, and I'm struggling to keep any kind of good diet going. Giving up the cig's would help on the cholesterol front, but cutting out cheese and fatty foods will be just as tough!

Putting that lens as a kind of trophy should spur me on ;)

Stick a picture of the lens on the jar!

Keep a tub of fruit (grapes?) or other low fat snacks ready - keep yourself occupied to distract yourself from the greed - it's not hunger whatever your stomach thinks about your throat! If necessary, try eating little and often - and well!!! I know all too well about weight issues - I'm winning slowly but still have a way to go.

Back