Beginner Newbie...Lens filter adapter - Help

Name
Jimmy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, newbie here to forum , and reasonably new to photography , and loving it. . Silly question time ! lol I have a Canon SX540 Powershot HS , I purchased a filter kit , which I was led to believe was for my camera , I thought the filters just fitted to end on camera lens on the thread ,( we learn by our mistakes eh ) . I believe now I need an 58mm adapter , but I am struggling to find one ?. Can someone help or point me in the correct direction ? . Am I better just returning this filter kit I bought ? HELP !! ;)

I take it the filters are of the square type.
Those kits normally come with a range of adaptors to fit different size (mm) filter threads. I have a kit for my Canon SX50 bridge camera.
Can you show us a link to the one you bought.

send them back and research for the correct ones is my advice :)

please note it says 67mm optical filters, your Amazon link has 58mm.

Last edited:
please note it says 67mm optical filters, your Amazon link has 58mm.
Yip...my faulty , see still learning, ordered that adapter and will return those filters and order correct ones...thanks for the help [emoji106][emoji6]

Yip...my faulty , see still learning, ordered that adapter and will return those filters and order correct ones...thanks for the help [emoji106][emoji6]
Oh just read the above post, am I better getting that 58mm adapter for the kit I bought ?

Looks like the official Canon filter adapter is for 67mm filters, but there's a third party one that takes 58mm. I don't know why Canon chose such a large diameter thread - maybe there's a risk of vignetting when the lens is zoomed out with smaller filters? 67mm filters are generally more expensive. But I don't think I'd buy a big filter kit like the Neewer. How many of them do you actually need? Coating isn't mentioned, so they are probably plain glass, which will flare when you shoot into the light. You may be better off with high quality multicoated filters from a major brand. A polariser could be useful. Things like the FLD, not so much (you can fix white balance more accurately in software).

Hi, newbie here to forum , and reasonably new to photography , and loving it. . Silly question time ! lol I have a Canon SX540 Powershot HS , I purchased a filter kit , which I was led to believe was for my camera , I thought the filters just fitted to end on camera lens on the thread ,( we learn by our mistakes eh ) . I believe now I need an 58mm adapter , but I am struggling to find one ?. Can someone help or point me in the correct direction ? . Am I better just returning this filter kit I bought ? HELP !! ;)
Modern round filters typically screw onto threads at the end of the lens, but there are some point & shoot type cameras where the filter needs to be mounted on a tube that screws in at the base of the lens, or an adapter that goes on the tripod screw...

If you have a different diameter filter these can often be used via an appropriate stepping ring. Aa appropriate 'step up' allows a larger filter to be fitted to the lens, while a step down allows a smaller filter to be used (This often gives rise to vignetting).

Square type filters come in a range of types each having a different holder & generally requiring an adapter from the lenses filter thread to the holder.

Older filters complicate matters more - it's probably better to simply avoid 'system' filters.

Note if you don't have the right adapter you can sometimes get away with simply holding the filter in front of the lens. I've done this for some fisheye lenses that have no filter threads, as well as to use sunglasses as a polariser when all my filters where on the wrong side of the world. If trying this it helps when the filter used is significantly bigger than the lens!

Sorry for late response , work commitments and all that ..I managed to get a 58mm adapter , the camera does have a thread for this , and adapter and filters fit great , not physically tried it yet , this weekend hopefully , thanks for all the help and advice. much appreciated ;)

If you are struggling to get the correct adapter there is a company near Watford called SRB Griturn if they haven't got an adapter for you camera I will be very surprised. They can also make bespoke items if you ask.

Their web address is https://www.srb-photographic.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back