South-East England Newbie picked up his first SLR

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all!

As a child I used to love the disposable cameras and would quickly rattle off the entire film filling it with pointless photos of out of focus inanimate objects. Since then though, I really haven't explored photography. Even going so far as to say I've never really enjoyed it. That was until I picked up an AE-1 and instantly fell in love with the physical feel of taking a photo. Something lost on me through smart phones and instagram filters.

Safe to say I have been hooked, still on only my 2nd roll of film but hoping I can bend a few ears for advise on how to progress! I've managed to pick up a good selection of lenses in near immaculate condition and a camera that is equally as well loved throughout its life.

Hi and welcome to the forum and enjoy your self here :welcome:

:fuji:

Hi Jake, And welcome aboard TP. "Enjoy"

Welcome to TP. It’s great to see people taking an interest in photography especially film photography. The film side needs a lot of support to keep it alive. With that being said it can be expensive to learn photography on film from the actual cost of buying and then developing it as mistakes cost money.

Welcome to TP. It’s great to see people taking an interest in photography especially film photography. The film side needs a lot of support to keep it alive. With that being said it can be expensive to learn photography on film from the actual cost of buying and then developing it as mistakes cost money.

Thank you, I agree with the costs. Maybe I should have looked into that before buying the camera :) . It seems you need to self teach yourself as well. I looked into local classes / groups but they all tailor to the digital side which I can completely understand. You take the shot and can immediately see it to judge and critique, even take it again and again. I am taking notes to recall what settings i've used so I hope I'll be able to learn from them when I get my first roll developed.

In my short reading i've learnt not to be too harsh on myself, especially starting out. For every 1 photo you see from a Pro photographer, remember theres hundreds, if not thousands that didn't make the cut.

Welcome.. enjoy your photography whatever level you’re at..
Cheers Phil! Got my first rolls back from BrightonFilmLab and even though most are either out of focus, have camera blur, are unerexposed or have my finger in frame :facepalm: I am so happy with the few that came out well and I can see what i've done wrong from my notes.

Here's too many years of learning and many many $$$s in ruined film!

Back