next on the shopping list an i7 (build log - LOADS-O-PICS)

I'm pleased to announce that I've joined i7-2600k club :)

Even on idle it runs colder than my previous Phenom :)
Still need to reinstall all apps including fan control ( without it fans run on minimum on rad all the time making gpu go over 60 on load( don't like it)

Welcome to the club, good isn't it :love:

replaced the twin 5770 crossfire this week, while it was good the problem in the m-atx case/board as you can see from the last pics was cooling on card #1. a lot of the time even under medium load it was ramping up the fan..

so introducing the sapphire 7850..

Bye twin 5770, hello 7850 by neilgates, on Flickr

has a bit more poke too, things are a bit smoother on a few games. plus some people have manage to clock them with another 50% performance (approx a 7950) easily so thats something to look at if i get bored..

think thats probably as far as i'll take the build in this incarnation, unless i drop some money on a striped set of SSD :geek:

Keith W said:
How much power does that suck Neil?

Sapphire say a min psu requirement of 500w for the single card, only takes a single 6 pin 75w connector.

Completely unscientific but the power meter on my ups is lower while at load than with the twin 5770 but then you'd expect that i guess.

I can't imagine how fast the i7's must be as I'm running a Intel Core2 Extreme Q6850 @ 3.00GHz and seems to power through stuff with ease, but according to here it's almost due a zimmer. :(

Wouldn't mind an Intel Xeon E5-2687W @ 3.10GHz

I've been running a Q6600 setup for about 4 years now, clocked to 3.51Ghz but I added some RAM without reverting to normal speeds with the result that LR3 constantly crashed the machine.
I was advised on here to reset the the pc with result that it's now stable but I simply can't bear running a machine at stock, you'd think I was 15 years old!:bonk:

So now I've got pc upgrade fever and I'll probably order a new rig tomorrow:D

So now I've got pc upgrade fever and I'll probably order a new rig tomorrow:D

I've got a new set up here just waiting to be built, three weeks now :confused:

I7 3770, Asus P8Z77 board, 8GB 1866 crucial and a sandisk 240gb extreme ssd. Tie that up with some of the existing components and it should be fairly rapid :banana:

I've got a new set up here just waiting to be built, three weeks now :confused:

I7 3770, Asus P8Z77 board, 8GB 1866 crucial and a sandisk 240gb extreme ssd. Tie that up with some of the existing components and it should be fairly rapid :banana:
That's a nice setup, massive SSD!
I've just finished mine tonight, just got a few more drives to install and some final tweaks..............and then overclocking:clap:

Must get to bed though..............

i would've exploded by now, waiting that long to build it.. :D

ah well, built it, no post, not even a beep.

Didn't have too much time so transferred back in my old stuff. And no post. Right now I haven't a clue what the problem might be, on either of them. :(

gut feel on the new build is a bad board, not even getting system fans spinning up.

Not sure about the old one, no beeps at all which suggests GPU. DOn't have a spare to test just now so looks like I'll be spending tomorrow :(

ah well, built it, no post, not even a beep.

Didn't have too much time so transferred back in my old stuff. And no post. Right now I haven't a clue what the problem might be, on either of them. :(

I share your grief, my build went perfectly but today I decided to plug in the supplied usb3 thingy and there was a funny noise followed by an equally funny smell.
Now it's all dead like yours, and yes, I did unplug the pc while installing the USB thing.

With your build what was new and what was your old stuff in the new build?

only old thing was the graphics card.

The last time I built a system that wouldn't post I had forgotten to flip the case power supply switch back on :nuts:

Do you have the power switch on the right two pins and all the power connectors attached (including the extra 12V one by the processor)? Been there and done that.... :shrug:

BTW, I was feeling flush this month so I've got a couple of SSDs coming tomorrow :D A 128G OCZ vertex 3 to replace the system disk (90G OCZ Agility 2 which isn't very fast) and a 256G Corsair Performance Pro as my data disk. Profiling the way lightroom works, as you move around the browser it can be reading 20+ images simultaneously. As my data drive is on a HDD, it slows to a crawl (relatively) so I wanted a drive that would handle compressed data as well as uncompressed (RAW files are not very compressible). The Sandforce based drives (all the ones that aren't powers of 2 sized - i.e. 60G, 120G, 240G) just don't do that. Will report back tomorrow....

dod said:
gut feel on the new build is a bad board, not even getting system fans spinning up.

Not sure about the old one, no beeps at all which suggests GPU. DOn't have a spare to test just now so looks like I'll be spending tomorrow :(

Is the connector in 100%... My Ocz power supply was a right pig to click in on the asus and power up.

old ones working again, not sure why :D Went in for a curry, came back pushed the button and up she came :shrug:

Nice... Looking forward to your thoughts... :)

Ooh... you lead such an exciting life... :p

Nice new build.

What speed did you run the q9550 at? They're still quite nippy today when overclocked to 3.8GHz+ (although I suspect your ITX motherboard and PC6400 RAM would have limited overclocking). What stepping was the CPU? Do you still have it?

Last edited:
arad85 said:
Ooh... you lead such an exciting life... :p

Hmm wish I could agree, playing with nasty filthy tills lol

ZoneV said:
Nice new build.

What speed did you run the q9550 at? They're still quite nippy today when overclocked to 3.8GHz+ (although I suspect your ITX motherboard and PC6400 RAM would have limited overclocking). What stepping was the CPU? Do you still have it?

you know what I can't remember if I clocked it or not, I think like you say the motherboard didn't let me. There's a build thread over on ocuk though. It's all long gone.

well theyre in..

i do like the black brushed alu finish :love:

Samsung SSDs Mounted by neilgates, on Flickr

these things are genuis too, will be a permenant part of my toolkit (didnt use it in this instance though, used windows imaging)..

USB/SATA DeviceIntel SSD Kit Contents by neilgates, on Flickr

someone remind me not to get a SFF again though, working on them is a pain in the arse.

HDD Cage Reassembed by neilgates, on Flickr

initial thoughts..

bit snappier over the old vertex1, boot time has dropped by 8s. ran a WEI for giggles and everything is maxed out at 7.9 now other than the CPU and memory.. :thinking: :LOL:

bench from the samsung software..

Samsung 830 Bench by neilgates, on Flickr

the vertex prep'd for its new home..

Old Vertex Rehomed by neilgates, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice mounting Neil.

You got any images on your staging drive? I'm interested what you think performance is like there.

BTW, the USB->SATA only works with laptop drives - not enough current available for bigger drives (apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs).

Nice mounting Neil.

You got any images on your staging drive? I'm interested what you think performance is like there.

BTW, the USB->SATA only works with laptop drives - not enough current available for bigger drives (apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs).

not yet, next batch of images will be an event next weekend so i'll let you know :)

yeah figured the power from the USB wouldnt be up to much (y)

It's been an enjoyable read Neil, despite going down a couple of blind alleys, and taking the odd scenic route :), you seem to be getting there in the end.

I've been using an i7 system for a couple of years, mainly put together to cope with the huge file sizes of a 1DS MKIII, my system is obviously older than yours, built on an Asus PSP55D Deluxe board, with i7 860 @2.8GHz, 8GB corsair XMS3 DDR3 memory.
Like you I used the built in autotuning facility to overclock to 3526Mhz, which has been stable for the last two years, which runs at around 40C (using 'core temp' to constantly monitor).

The whole setup has run without a glitch, except for once getting a series of BSOD, which was caused by either the CPU fan working lose or the heatsink compound drying out (or perhaps both) causing the CPU to overheat (this was before I installed Core Temp), since I sorted this out with an upgraded fan, it's taken everything thrown at it. My most beneficial upgrade was to install A SSD(Intel 128GB) as a system drive and a CS scratch disk, not so noticeable improvement was increasing memory from 8GB to 16GB.

Probably the weakest link in my set up is the graphics card, Geforce 9500GT, but as I'm not a Gamer, I can live with it's limitations.

I do like the raw power an I7 gives you, I can run what I want in Photoshop without the wait (or pauses) I had previously, I can open any amount of applications, programs, or run multiple tabs on multiple browsers without any strain, and comfortably run a 30inch & 24 inch monitors at the same time.

You only really notice just how good and fast things are on an i7 when you try working on an older machine (like my dual core laptop) where you can go away and make a three course meal while waiting for a PS action to finish.

Last edited:
Neil, where did you get that usb/sata device from? Looks ideal for me to be able to safely wipe all data from the hdd's I've got piling up here from old systems without opening up the pc case.
It came with his SSDs. You won't be able to power a full HDD with it though - only a laptop drive. 3.5" drives take too much current that the USB device can't power.

I got one with my crucial SSD. Plus some cloning software.

I got one with my crucial SSD. Plus some cloning software.

yeah it came with symantec ghost too, but that was a POS.

It came with his SSDs. You won't be able to power a full HDD with it though - only a laptop drive. 3.5" drives take too much current that the USB device can't power.

what he said. thanks, was on a 4 hour car trip back to the office :D

It's been an enjoyable read Neil, despite going down a couple of blind alleys, and taking the odd scenic route :), you seem to be getting there in the end.

I've been using an i7 system for a couple of years, mainly put together to cope with the huge file sizes of a 1DS MKIII, my system is obviously older than yours, built on an Asus PSP55D Deluxe board, with i7 860 @2.8GHz, 8GB corsair XMS3 DDR3 memory.
Like you I used the built in autotuning facility to overclock to 3526Mhz, which has been stable for the last two years, which runs at around 40C (using 'core temp' to constantly monitor).

The whole setup has run without a glitch, except for once getting a series of BSOD, which was caused by either the CPU fan working lose or the heatsink compound drying out (or perhaps both) causing the CPU to overheat (this was before I installed Core Temp), since I sorted this out with an upgraded fan, it's taken everything thrown at it. My most beneficial upgrade was to install A SSD(Intel 128GB) as a system drive and a CS scratch disk, not so noticeable improvement was increasing memory from 8GB to 16GB.

Probably the weakest link in my set up is the graphics card, Geforce 9500GT, but as I'm not a Gamer, I can live with it's limitations.

I do like the raw power an I7 gives you, I can run what I want in Photoshop without the wait (or pauses) I had previously, I can open any amount of applications, programs, or run multiple tabs on multiple browsers without any strain, and comfortably run a 30inch & 24 inch monitors at the same time.

You only really notice just how good and fast things are on an i7 when you try working on an older machine (like my dual core laptop) where you can go away and make a three course meal while waiting for a PS action to finish.

yeah it does make my core2 duo at work seem excruciatingly slow.. :LOL:

not yet, next batch of images will be an event next weekend so i'll let you know :)
So come on Neil, what is Lightroom performance like with a second SSD as staging space?

doh....

I know the feeling... ;)

managed to get rid of mine with new tubing and 3 Gentle Typhoons ;D

and after of having fan controller in drawer for almost 6 months, finally connected it :)

now only part of my PC that I can hear is water pump :)

Back