next on the shopping list an i7 (build log - LOADS-O-PICS)

ah no i got it.. was sure i set as 44 against "by all cores (can adjust in OS)" but its set 4 times against each core under "by per core (cannot adjust in OS)".

left PLL overvoltage on auto.

got it throttling between 1600 and 4400 now.

i know, 4 blank pci backplates some tin snips and some double sided foam tape later.. :D fits like a glove. i did toy with putting it the other way around first but decided to get the HS closer to the inlet fans and would keep the cables tidier.

(y) Good stuff.

heres a fun little test for you andy for your temps..

download hyper-pi, run it with all 8 "processors" and 32M selected and see what your temps max out at (also a good stability test)http://virgilioborges.com.br/hyperpi/hyper_pi_0.99b.zip

I managed to hit 89c on some cores, seems a bit high but then a blow down HSF isn't going to be the best at dissipating hot air and I don't have any case fans at the moment to blow/suck air away from the CPU..

Open air PC pt2 by neilgates, on Flickr

hyperpi1 by neilgates, on Flickr

will repeat the exact same thing with the Noctua NH-U9B SE2.

Last edited:
Max 73 deg. with the Ninja here Neil :) will repeat with the Noctua :)

Last edited:
Can I join and test temperature under water? ;)
What speeds your on?
4.4? I think I'm on same and stock voltage.
Will test today:)

Yup... 4.4 here :) prime95 does the job just as well for me too (think it goes slightly higher).

PS Neil: when you setup the aquaero, it installs a service which provides temps from open hardware monitor to the Aquaero. It seems a little flaky (i.e. it's just got me out of bed by setting the beeper going!) , so I've just set it to restart if a failure occurs....

Yup... 4.4 here :) prime95 does the job just as well for me too (think it goes slightly higher).

PS Neil: when you setup the aquaero, it installs a service which provides temps from open hardware monitor to the Aquaero. It seems a little flaky (i.e. it's just got me out of bed by setting the beeper going!) , so I've just set it to restart if a failure occurs....

Ta :D

Dpd have informed me my fans will arrive today so I should be putting it back together tonight..

havent checked mine yet..and mine is only sat at 4ghz ;)
not sure if I ever tested it higher - lazy lol ..cant be bothered with restarts ;)

Or do it with the mobo package to change clocks on the fly to get close then drop into BIOS....

But I know what you mean about reboots - my current mobo takes longer to go through BIOS POST than boot windows :eek:

wow this is a big thread. I'll join in with my i7 overclocks :D

i7 2700k with z68x-UD5 motherboard cooled by Noctua D14 in Silverstone FT02 case. Also BigNG automatic hardware fan controller.

Currently at 4.2GHz all cores, and turbo up to 4.6GHz when only 1 core is active. CPU usually never exceeds 65c. Prime95 makes it go to just under 80c.

Also tested at 4.5GHz, turbo to 4.8GHz. Temperature goes up to 90c on a cold day, so I backed off. I am using more voltages than average to maintain a stable turbo boost. CPU-z reading at this frequency is 1.368v when stressing 4 cores. I can't be bothered to re-configure my BigNG fan controller, because currently it's running 180mm case fans at 300rpm and CPU fans at 500rpm, a higher airflow should pull the temperatures down to manageable range.

wow this is a big thread.

im an attention seeking whore :D

fitted the fans and cooler last night..

Noctua NF-S12B FLX and NF-P14 FLX installed by neilgates, on Flickr

having a slight panic about the cooler height though..

Noctua NH-U9B SE2 Dry Fit by neilgates, on Flickr

Noctua NH-U9B SE2 Installed by neilgates, on Flickr

clears the RAM just..

Noctua NH-U9B SE2 Dry Fit Clearance by neilgates, on Flickr

havent put the board back in the case yet or powered it on, need to do some experimentation with the adapters Nocuta supply with the cooler.. you get a standard Y cable, then a quiet adapter (inline resistor) and an ultraquiet adapter (inline resistor, i imagine of a higher value).

Last edited:
I'm OK (knew I bought the PWM ones for some reason). I can get them to spin at 100rpmish with the Aquaero. Sorted. I'll see what the mobo headers are like for auto control, before deciding whether to split one to the mobo, one to the aquaero or keep as a Y... (I'm paranoid that something, somewhere will crash and I'll get into thermal runaway)

Nice build quality on the cables though :D

Eeeuuuurrrrggghhhh. Tidying this case up is making me hurt.

Nearly there though, CPU cooler clears the psu which was my main worry. Just need to route the atx and psu power leads and find something to stick the temp sensors down with.. Might actually be worth all the effort (at least it better be..).

Nice. Where's the Aquaero? is it towards the right hand side of the case hidden behind the DVD connected to all the leads coming out over the top?

tidy cables

IMG_0359 by neilgates, on Flickr

okay so ive got the following sensors set:

1 - VRM
2 - Southbridge
3 - RAM
4 - Case (high in case near SSD)

Also monitoring CPU, Motherboard and GPU.

I think I've got a good base set up going, curves need a bit of a tweek I think..

cont1 by neilgates, on Flickr

rough idea on how the fans are set, the 12cm get a bit stutter under 30%

fan1 by neilgates, on Flickr

will get some long term data going at the weekend but again a rough idea..

chart1 by neilgates, on Flickr

He said Front Bottom... fnarr fnarr.. :D ;)

Looks like you've got it set up OK. What do you think?

I know that was an unintentional slip :D

impressed by the amount of scope.. just trying to get my head around what sort of working temps are acceptable for VRM and Southbridges etc.

I think there'll be a lot of stress testing and trial and error over the weekend.

but yes very impressed once you start playing around you get to grips fairly quick. got confused when I accidentally closed OHM and all of the software sensors suddenly reverted to 50c :bonk:

just trying to get my head around what sort of working temps are acceptable for VRM and Southbridges etc.
I'd expect they are capable of up to 100 degrees. I'd want to keep them way below that though (say 80 max). Mine (I'm currently on the ATX version of the board you have) don't get hot at all - I assume due to the airflow through the cooler.

but yes very impressed once you start playing around you get to grips fairly quick. got confused when I accidentally closed OHM and all of the software sensors suddenly reverted to 50c :bonk:
:D This is how I have defined my failsafe. When you define the virtual sensor, the Temperature is what it gets set to if no reading is updated in Timeout seconds. This allows you to fail safe your fans as you can set this temperature to above the temp. you have set for full on in the controller.

BTW: I have found aquasuite uses some CPU constantly. It is only useful for setup and when you are logging temps. If you are not doing either, I wouldn't start it. The aquasuite service (which you should set to restart if any errors ;)) does all the mobo -> aquaero 5 LT comms.

I'd expect they are capable of up to 100 degrees. I'd want to keep them way below that though (say 80 max). Mine (I'm currently on the ATX version of the board you have) don't get hot at all - I assume due to the airflow through the cooler.

good to know. ive not had either up past 50c yet.

:D This is how I have defined my failsafe. When you define the virtual sensor, the Temperature is what it gets set to if no reading is updated in Timeout seconds. This allows you to fail safe your fans as you can set this temperature to above the temp. you have set for full on in the controller.

yeah i saw the default value on the software sensors and didnt really know what it did until i closed OHM. but its a handy little trick.

BTW: I have found aquasuite uses some CPU constantly. It is only useful for setup and when you are logging temps. If you are not doing either, I wouldn't start it. The aquasuite service (which you should set to restart if any errors ;)) does all the mobo -> aquaero 5 LT comms.

good to know, i'll turn that off then.

seems the loudest fan in my system is my PSU now :|
Yup... noise just moves elsewhere - which is why I dropped £140 on an AX860 - silent to 400W... ;)

New board installed, just getting everything setup now :)

Why not... :)

BTW, the next thing that will need quietening are those startech drive bays ;)

hmm well the only fan I can find that isn't amazingly loud (12.5 - 26.01 dB(A)) and has a decent CFM (110.61 CFM) is the Akasa Viper (which ive just sold one of :bonk: ) but its only 12V@0.32A.

nah those startechs aren't loud at all :D

been playing with clock speeds so far this morning going up from existing clock of 4.4..

Geekbench 2.3.1 64bit
Score 18449
Integer 15482
Float 28874
Mem perf 9872
Mem band 9502

HyperPi 0.99b 8 Processors 32M digits
14m 20s

Geekbench 2.3.1 64bit
Score 18644
Integer 15712
Float 29086
Mem perf 10056
Mem band 9538

14m 10s

Geekbench 2.3.1 64bit
Score 19148
Integer 16335
Float 29804
Mem perf 10214
Mem band 9570

13m 57s

What are your x32 scores Neil (I'm too stingy to pay for geekbench so am limited to 32bit only ;))

At 4.5 here on a Z77 based board running 2.4.3:

Score: 13239
Int: 14403
Float: 15878
Mem perf: 8367
Mem b/w: 9674

Not sure why my float would be way down on yours....

Back