NGC4565 (The Needle galaxy)

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
NGC4565 (also known as the Needle galaxy or Caldwell 38) is an edge-on spiral galaxy about 30 to 50 million light-years away in the constellation Coma Berenices.

It is known as the Needle Galaxy for its narrow profile. First spotted in 1785 by Sir William Herschel (1738–1822), it is one of the most famous examples of an edge-on spiral galaxy. NGC4565 is a giant spiral galaxy more luminous than the Andromeda Galaxy and it has been proposed that if it were viewed face-on, it would be the most spectacular of the galaxies of its type in the nearby Universe.

This image has been ongoing since April and consists of 37.5 hours of total exposure, in a mixture of 30 minute and 10 minute exposures.

Kit used
M: Mesu 200
T: ODK10
C: QSI683 with Baader LRGB filters

You can see a larger res version on my website

NGC4565_sgl.jpg

Ridiculously good!

We got our little 8" dob out the other night for Jupiter and Mars.

What is the other galaxy in the 2 o'clock poisition when looking at the Needle galaxy Sarah? Is it another Messier object?

Wow, I don;t understand anything you just said but pretty interesting!

That's straight out of the Star Trek special effects department, are you sure you are not just painting these in Photoshop? :)

Seriously though, another wonderful image. Very well done indeed

Wow

And FYI the little smudge under the left edge of the galaxy in the pic is an irregular galaxy designated IC 3571 (IC=Index Catalog).

Last edited:
Outrageous :) Stunning :) Beautiful :)

Thanks guys :) And thanks for the clarification @BillP - Thankfully that concurs with the plate solved annotated thumbnail I added :) Phew!!!

Amazing how hard it is sometimes to track down the other objects that appear around the prominent ones! btw, are you a member of any astro boards like Stargazerslounge or Cloudynights? FYI I am on both as BillP.

I have to say this is (for me anyway) truly amazing.
You've managed to get an image of something that is 30-50 million light years away. I struggle with the here and now.

All of the images you post here are spectacular Sara, but IMO there is some special about this one. I think it is the edge on view that somehow conveys distance and especially the emptiness of space.

Dave

:jawdrop: Stunning Sara, just stunning!

Stunning images lot of hard work ..worth the results

Thanks Stuart - It does take dedication, not so much the data capture, but certainly the processing. Each single image will take perhaps 8-10 hours of processing.

Once again, your images just blow me away.
Stunning.

The data capture is all done very easily - Start the data capture programme running and off it goes......... Sometimes though it can take many nights due to weather, sky position etc. The processing is definitely where the hard work begins. I know that taking 8-10 hours on one picture seems mad, but that's really how astro works :)

As always, it's all been said!

Thanks so much for sharing all your spectacular images along with the information you also provide.

Thanks guys for your comments and glad that you like it :)

@Kodiak Qc - Not sure that any honeymooners would be able to get a flight though! Can I ask what the dot means in your post? I'm not sure I understand it.

Not sure that any honeymooners would be able to get a flight though!
…and if they do, maybe they won't get a round trip!
Can I ask what the dot means in your post? I'm not sure I understand it.
I have to translate from French my thoughts and
this exercise requires all my attention so the dot
is just for me as I switch to translate mode, a tick.

Back