Nikkor 200-500?

Just a quick one taken across a pond and then a big crop 200-500 at 500 on D4.

16067-1470490627-00b2744ba4fc518a8a4fbe958660dbcf.jpg

Recently got myself one of these bad boys (after a long debate against the sigma 150-600 sport). Initial impressions is that it's sharp and very handholdable (which I struggled with the sigma).

One question, do you normally leave vr on all the time? I previously read somewhere you should turn vr off above 1/500 ss.

One from Blair Drumond Safari Park, a Sea Eagle from their bird of prey area. Recently acquired this lens and really loving it, switched from a Sigma 150-600 and really feeling the benefit of the lighter weight.

Sea Eagle by Matt, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Stuart - and sorry! It was a great lens you sold me and I've taken a load more shots with it. Finding the time to edit them is the challenge at the moment...

Recently got myself one of these bad boys (after a long debate against the sigma 150-600 sport). Initial impressions is that it's sharp and very handholdable (which I struggled with the sigma).

One question, do you normally leave vr on all the time? I previously read somewhere you should turn vr off above 1/500 ss.

You should only turn it on when you need it really.

You should only turn it on when you need it really.

True - but when "is really need it"? .... Off a tripod?

Never really understood this debate. Can't see that 'higher/faster' shutter speeds impact on the VR functionality and I've never seen any proof.

Does anyone know if this lens works with a Sigma 1.4x TC?
Or is it just the Nikon version?

Need to know before I put all my gear into MPB so I can get a D500 and 200-500.

Cheers

It depends on the shooter and technique unfortunately, there's no simple answer. You should see improved edge sharpness and nicer bokeh without VR though (assuming you're at the point where you don't need it ).

http://www.dslrbodies.com/lenses/lens-articles/lens-technique/all-about-nikon-vr.html

Far too much subjective opinion to be sure that there are benefits - even the 'science' in the link posted leads to inconclusive results.

You comment suggests 'you should see' - I'm left wondering why there is nothing substantive in the Nikon manuals to allow me to form an objective opinion about turning VR off above 1/1500.

I don't think there is a definitive answer to the question of when to use VR as it depends on the individual using it, I use it at all times when not on a tripod because I'm a shaky old bugger and could not do without it
one of the main benefits for me is that it steadies the image in the viewfinder which helps with with focusing and framing.

You comment suggests 'you should see' - I'm left wondering why there is nothing substantive in the Nikon manuals to allow me to form an objective opinion about turning VR off above 1/1500.
Simply because there is a massive X factor - the human holding the camera. There can be no definitive answer. It's not doing anything useful at 1/2*focal length though.

Has anyone had any experience with this lens v a Sigma 120-300 OS with 1.4 TC?

I know it's lighter, but only gaining a further 80mm and being slower I suppose it will all come down to AF speed and IQ.

Does anyone have any real world experience of the difference between the two?

Last edited:
I am very tempted to get one of these to go on my D800E. Currently use a 300mm f4 afs, with a 1.4x Nikon TC attached almost permanently - so the f5.6 at 500mm should still be fine - and maybe as sharp??

I'm off to London tomorrow, and I fear my hand baggage may be a tad heavier on the return trip!

Probably sharper :) (especially at full aperture)

My return baggage seems to be heavier now Picked one up from London Camera Exchange, tried it on a D500 and D810. Seems good... Hopefully will be good on my D800E - will try it in the field once I get home....

My return baggage seems to be heavier now Picked one up from London Camera Exchange, tried it on a D500 and D810. Seems good... Hopefully will be good on my D800E - will try it in the field once I get home....
Will be very interested in how you find AF speed :)

Will be very interested in how you find AF speed :)
There was a review by Will Nicholls recently on Nature TTL. He was quite impressed considering the price. His opinion was the AF is good in good light but when it drops in low light levels (around sunrise/sunset) it struggles to lock more. Overall his opinion was an excellent lens for the price and if used within its limits. I still want to get my hands on one to test it out as it intrigues me. My only problem is I mainly shoot at sunrise/sunset times and rarely in good light during the day.

http://www.naturettl.com/wildlife-photographers-review-nikon-200-500mm-f5-6-lens/

There was a review by Will Nicholls recently on Nature TTL. He was quite impressed considering the price. His opinion was the AF is good in good light but when it drops in low light levels (around sunrise/sunset) it struggles to lock more. Overall his opinion was an excellent lens for the price and if used within its limits. I still want to get my hands on one to test it out as it intrigues me. My only problem is I mainly shoot at sunrise/sunset times and rarely in good light during the day.

http://www.naturettl.com/wildlife-photographers-review-nikon-200-500mm-f5-6-lens/

I think some of what Will said is right but I also think that it depends on the camera it's attached too. It's never going to be as fast in low light as a prime but on my D4 it still works well.

I think some of what Will said is right but I also think that it depends on the camera it's attached too. It's never going to be as fast in low light as a prime but on my D4 it still works well.
That is very true. I have a d750 so it's not a slouch AF wise but I could see it being slower on a d3*** or d5*** camera. I'm still interested to try one, I may have to look at hiring one for a few days.

Well it doesn't seem too shabby - used it for the first time on Otters today with my D800E. Seems similar, or maybe slightly better than my 300mm f4/1.4x TC combo. It appears to be sharp at f5.6, and the VR works well on other test shots I've tried. I had quite a few shots where the focus wasn't spot on, but it's early days yet and it could just be me. Everything was shot handheld and the wind was gusting to around 30mph.

Shetland Otter, Nikon 200-500 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Shetland Otter, Nikon 200-500 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Wheatear, Nikon 200-500mm by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

I've been thinking of a 200-500 for quite a while, I've seen some great images from it. Has anyone used one with a d7200 for owls at sunrise/sunset or backlit? I'm tempted as a birding setup for winter as I would like to get up to 500mm and the smaller size of the 200-500 may be useful.

I've been thinking exactly same as you rob apart from I'd have it on a D500 but I have a 300 2.8 VR II and all 3 TC's so not sure if I'd be disappointed as would be comparing apples and oranges ? But it's been playing in my mind if it was as good as some think I'd be tempted to sell the 300

Has anyone used one with a d7200 for owls at sunrise/sunset or backlit?

I haven't but all of the reviews that I have read indicate that lens AF drops off when the light drops.

I haven't but all of the reviews that I have read indicate that lens AF drops off when the light drops.
That's what I've heard too but I wanted to hear from users rather than believe reviews. Last weekend I was photographing deer and experienced problems locking focus but that was down to a lack of contrast between the subject and the background rather than the lens (not 200-500).

Last edited:
Whilst it's difficult to put the word bargain and nearly 1200 quid lens, in the same sentence, for the performance it offers, it is a bargain.

Yup, I just bought one, and my initial tests are VERY promising indeed! The VR seem to let you take silly liberties with shutter speeds :) With a little care, 1/60 at 500mm anyone?

I was at Oulton Park Yesterday and I just wished I had a little further reach from my 70-200 so considering buying this lens myself.

Some of the shots have Impressed me I must say.

I've been thinking of a 200-500 for quite a while, I've seen some great images from it. Has anyone used one with a d7200 for owls at sunrise/sunset or backlit? I'm tempted as a birding setup for winter as I would like to get up to 500mm and the smaller size of the 200-500 may be useful.
Cant answer your question as regards sunrise sunset or backlit, but i have used 200-500 on 7200 for birding in low light, with the capabilities of the iso on 7200 i have had some good results. Check my Flickr for examples.
As you have said lack of contrast will make some lenses struggle with focus,
All in all for price its a good lens.

Seriously considering chopping in my Sigma 150-600 C and Nikon 300mm f4 AF-S for one of these

As much as i love the image quality of the 300mm f4, i almost always take the Sigma with me for the extra reach and convenience of zoom

Without having to read through the whole thread, is there any of you who have had either (or both) of the above lenses before owning the 200-500mm to give a first hand opinion on how they compare

Oh, and it will be used on a D7100

Back