Nikkor 200-500?

Morning all.

My 200-500 has just arrived via the post man. The box has a very small dent in the top corner, nothing significant really, but the lens, when zooming from 200-500, grates, a quite harsh metallic sound.

Any one else had this with their lens? I have contacted the retailer and am waiting for them to get back to me. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Trev.
Certainly sounds like something is wrong Trev,mine is silent also.Have you heard back from the retailer?.
Well I'm bored miserable weather and sat in waiting for a parcel so just thought I would see what results I would get a silly slow shutter speeds.
Crap pics but I am impressed with the vr,I know they are a tad soft but even so!

1/20th at 500mm!!
Vr test by Stuart Howe, on Flickr

and 1/8th also at 500mm
Vr Test by Stuart Howe, on Flickr

Heard back from the retailer and they are taking it back.
I have picked up a replacement today and it is as smooth as it should be.
Just need the weather to get better so I can get out with it!!

Trev.

Hi Jerry Just got back and I have about 1000 shots to go through, I might be a while!!!

Trev.

If your like the rest of us Trev you will love the lens.

They look good, the only thing that let them down was the weather and you can't do anything about that.

Hi Iain The weather was rotten but as you say there is nothing that can be done about that.
Trev.

Thanks Stuart.

Can I just double check my understanding of panning modes is correct as things have changed since I last used a tele with VR (Mode 1 and 2!)

Am I right in thinking that panning recognition is automatic, so nothing needs to be done and it will automatically only correct for vertical movement, regardless of how you're panning? If so, does it work ok?

Lovely work in here making me want to sell my 70-200 VR II to get one !

I had all but made my mind up to save for a sigma 150-600 and then saw these now I am back to square one LoL, fantastic photos, some real talent in capturing them!!

I had all but made my mind up to save for a sigma 150-600 and then saw these now I am back to square one LoL, fantastic photos, some real talent in capturing them!!

Can't speak for the Sigma, but I'm happy with the 200-500mm, sharp wide open and throughout the range.

RIAT Sunday 200-500 : f5.6 : 310mm

DSC_8673
by Jerry Hawker, on Flickr

Looking at that stunning photo there is not much wrong with that lens Jerry, in order to keep up with the aircraft and motor sport I have seen here the auto focus is not to shabby either!!

Reactions: xmh
Looking at that stunning photo there is not much wrong with that lens Jerry, in order to keep up with the aircraft and motor sport I have seen here the auto focus is not to shabby either!!

After a motorsport event and an airshow I'm blown away by the AF, it really is approaching 70-200 territory in my opinion. I guess things like birds are a more critical test as I'm only shooting large objects, but coupled with the D750 it's hugely impressive.

Max length wide open, the detail at 100% is nearer what I would have expected of the exotic teles than a relatively affordable super zoom.

RIAT 2016 - F35 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

I have to say that I am impressed with the AF for birds as well, I do think that it is dependent on the camera that it is attached to though.

Chris, that looks even better on Flickr so much detail!!
Looking at all the affordable super zooms I don't think there is much between them if you get a good copy, the only advantages I can see for the sigma's is the dock and a bit more reach, I have ruled out the Tammy just because of the reports of how much dust they suck in and I do take photos in some crappy places (dust cloud behind a combine last harvest LoL), I want to try and do some rally's, a friend races so I may get in some closed events so again it could get a bit mucky..
ahh best keep saving, :)

Cheers mate must admit having doubts about it now and also had job come in which will help my cash flow somewhat

Must say I am so impressed with the results from this lens and now got me looking at Nikon Cameras ( 7200 series ) which can be bought from as little as £629.

Would this camera perform ok with the 200-500 or could I use a lower series as a 5300?

Last edited:
Must say I am so impressed with the results from this lens and now got me looking at Nikon Cameras ( 7200 series ) which can be bought from as little as £629.

Would this camera perform ok with the 200-500 or could I use a lower series as a 5300?
I would say it would perform very well! I use it on a d5500 and its flawless.

Thanks Stuart , Some of the images posted on here have given me the WOW factor.

It really is a cracking lens..so much so I am going to withdraw mine from sale.

How are people finding the focus speed on a d750?

I will be looking to shot this type of lens for motorsports and was wondering if it's fast enough for that.

Been comparing this and the sigma 150-600 s which appears similar in IQ but better af however it is much heavier handholding.

Some excellent images there!

Good to know that focus speed is not too bad on the d750.

I think those who have been complaining about it are either expecting too much (comparing to primes) or using it on slower af bodies.

Some excellent images there!

Good to know that focus speed is not too bad on the d750.

I think those who have been complaining about it are either expecting too much (comparing to primes) or using it on slower af bodies.

I haven't read too many negative things, but then this lens appears to be mainly used by birders so things may be different when shooting tiny erratic subjects. For motorport and aviation it's been absolutely bang on nearly 100% of the time.

Been quiet for me lately.... well, it wouldn't be except for the 'noisy' bit in my live called "Work". Had some Grandchildren over the other day so, we had a 'lads' day out' at Duxford.

Took these with the 200-500mm (all hand-held) --- #5 is a 100% screengrab of #4

Catalina 12 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Catalina 11 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Catalina 3 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Catalina 12 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

100pc_screengrab_prop_boss by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Catalina 7 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Back