Nikkor 200-500?

Lens has been released in the UK approximately a month ago. My local LCE had a few in stock

Ahh, maybe just my local shop hasn't had many in then, Harrisons in Sheffield are still showing pre-order, and having asked them they are expecting stock 'early October', that's as much as they can tell me

Last date was 30/9/2015 but that was before the recall - 1st batch went out mid-September

I phoned jessops earlier this week about 200-500 and was told they will be in store Monday, they have eleven pre ordered, and have ordered twenty all together, I didn't realise they still have quite a few stores nationwide, I will wait until some of you more experienced toggers get hold of one and put it through its paces, before making a decision to get one or not.

Last edited:
I contacted Amazon today to find out when they will be ready for dispatch and I could not be given a definite answer. It's an open ended pre-order it seems and no date can be confirmed.

Managed to get one Tuesday.... sadly not had a chance to try it (maybe today?)

Anyway, a complication. The shop had 3 delivered late Monday afternoon and by Tuesday 13:00 I got the last one! I asked if it had had the Firmware update applied. They told me they were informed that it had been as they were three weeks late coming into stock.

When I got home I checked the serial number and it's an early version which had not been done :( I enquired of Nikon who told me that it had not been done by them in the UK but, it may have been done by the Distributor (in the Netherlands). Hmmm... phone call to the shop. They were very good about it and told me that, because of the delay, it has been done! Grrr!

I guess the only way now is to see if I can 'break' it and get the bug to appear (or not).

Look forward to hearing what you think Barry :)

I'd rather have false teeth, than move to canon..

I have some false teeth but if Canon came up with a body that fitted me better than my Nikons do (and would do a straight swap for all my current Nikon kit!) I could be tempted (if the IQ of JPEGs SOOC was as good.)

I have some false teeth but if Canon came up with a body that fitted me better than my Nikons do (and would do a straight swap for all my current Nikon kit!) I could be tempted (if the IQ of JPEGs SOOC was as good.)
And get their sensors up to par ;)

Look forward to hearing what you think Barry :)

Think I'll probably keep it ;)

These must be the first 'wet weather' tests! Amazing VR, contrast is well maintained and the focussing seems snappy - not lightning fast but, equally, no slouch.

Just need to try it in some sunshine - please?

[click for full size] These are processed on via a non-calibrated monitor

#1 (This is hand-held 1/80 sec at 350mm @ f/6.3 iso 800)
Stepping down by Barry Cant, on Flickr

#2 200mm 1/200 @ f/6.3
Slow approach by Barry Cant, on Flickr

#3 370mm 1/250 @ f/6.3
Entering the loop by Barry Cant, on Flickr

#4 500mm 1/800 @ f/8
Ducks and Water by Barry Cant, on Flickr

#5 500mm 1/250 @ f5.6
Early Morning turn by Barry Cant, on Flickr

[edited to add exposure info and focal length]

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those Garry, they do look very nice indeed

I have just been down to my local shop (Harrisons) to see when they are due, but they still don't have a firm date yet, and the first 3 they are getting are already spoken for :(

have you tried it yet on the V2

Ha ha! Thereby hangs a tale! I was going to try it today but - I brought everything of the NIkon kitchen sink out with me except for the FT1 adapter :(

These must be the first 'wet weather' tests! Amazing VR, contrast is well maintained and the focussing seems snappy - not lightning fast but, equally, no slouch.

How fast would you rate the AF? Is it more like the nikon 70-300 vr or the 300 f4 (non vr) AF speed? I'm trying to gauge an idea of the AF speed especially in less than perfect light.

Barry--many thanks for posting these shots showing all too realistic local circumstances, i.e. an overcast/rainy UK.

Can I ask, what was the camera, and what PP did you do? The trains look excellent but the duck looks a bit strange, as if its head doesn't match the background somehow.

Does that make any sense?

Last edited:
Barry--many thanks for posting these shots showing all too realistic local circumstances, i.e. an overcast/rainy UK.

Can I ask, what was the camera, and what PP did you do? The trains look excellent but the duck looks a bit strange, as if its head doesn't match the background somehow.

It makes perfect sense :)

I was using a D750 (which is new to me) They were all processed in Lightroom 5.x on my work computer which has an uncalibrated monitor.

The original of the ducks was underexposed and I just 'lifted' it about +1 stop. I've now reprocessed it using this calibrated machine and a 'Daylight' white balance. I have to add - it wasn't a plain white duck! This is a pretty accurate colour rendering of the non-white duck!

B50_0091 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

How fast would you rate the AF? Is it more like the nikon 70-300 vr or the 300 f4 (non vr) AF speed? I'm trying to gauge an idea of the AF speed especially in less than perfect light.

Probably a bit quicker than the 70-300VR.... I only have the 'D' version of the 300mm so that wouldn't be good to compare ---- it wasn't exactly the best day to test it really :(

Last edited:

I missed this yesterday as I was in hurry... but this shows how strange it was in colour...

B50_0075.jpg

is this going to replace you'r BIG-ron? or is the 600mm going to stay..sorry for all these questions...

Good question !!!! :)

I need to make a thorough investigation in good light. Also, not used it in anger for BiF or aviation (or Sport - it has a 'Sport' mode)

I'd use this to shoot amateur football and maybe ice hockey, although the latter is probably more suited to a 70-200/2.8. Either way, the speed to the AF in a 'sport' sort of setting is what I'm waiting to hear on.

Isn't the sport mode VR related? From what I've read it seems to be a more active form of VR as against normal ...

YOU'R BLOODY SACKED!!!!!...don't bother turning in tomorrow...

Ok.... it's raining (still), I'm at home, put said lens on a Nikon Series 1 V2.... got this, shot through a double glazed door window

1/60 Sec f/6.3 iso 800 - Handheld 500mm (1350mm equiv FoV :) ) Subject distance around 7 metres Can't wait for some sunshine, a tripod and open air!

Bottom line, Mark - it WORKS on Series 1 (well, V2 at least) --- Impressive lens

DSC_4708.jpg

Isn't the sport mode VR related? From what I've read it seems to be a more active form of VR as against normal ...

Absolutely - I think they just renamed it - previously 'Normal' & 'Active'

(Active before was described in the manual as shooting from a moving vehicle or something similar. I think Sport just makes it easier to understand perhaps)

Last edited:
I missed this yesterday as I was in hurry... but this shows how strange it was in colour...

B50_0075.jpg
How bizarre, almost looks like you've done a mono with selective colouring.

Lenses for hire have these available, think I may be hiring one to see if it work work out for me before taking the plunge.
Couldn't see it on a search, have a link?

Last edited:
Back