Nikkor 200-500?

Well - an update. I spent some time today with some kit, adapters, tripod and a complete lack of shadows! Not a hint of sun - so, this is as bad as a test could ever get (unless you need a completely subjective test on how this lens performs under typical UK weather conditions in East Anglia in October)

The good news - Nikon Series 1 users - it works on both a V1 and V2 :) (In the images below I'll admit to forgetting to turn off the VR of the V2 until the last few)

I've come up with a little website which shows some results and a comparison between this lens and the Tamron 150-600mm - mainly at the long end of their focal lengths. Hope it helps anybody making a decision.

Click here - the thumbnails automatically go to a larger image but there is nothing fancy behind all this ;)

Test shots looking pretty good,
got me hands on one yesterday first thought was how heavy it was, for me now it's a matter not if, but when I will get one, with mono pod methinks,
be at brands w/e would have been nice to have one for some fast action,

thanks for the tests, must wait now for more to be delivered...

They're pretty subjective really. But, the results have satisfied me at least - just need some sunshine to complete the exercise! Tomorrow I'll the add focal length to the captions.

The really strange one is the five flower shots - 2 were with the Nikkor and the rest with the Tamron.... all on the same camera with the same manual exposure - processing was no different and yet the Tamron is brighter and more saturation - not certain what's going on there.

Oh, forgot to mention, the Tamron is a lot faster focussing.

@Barry: thanks for taking the time, and good from my pov to see a D7100 in action. Very promising. Interesting about the Tamron focussing though! Never simple...:confused:

@Barry: thanks for taking the time, and good from my pov to see a D7100 in action. Very promising. Interesting about the Tamron focussing though! Never simple...:confused:

No worries.... I was interested myself (so, not totally altruistic)

The Tamron always was a nippy performer - but, for me, it doesn't work on Series 1 cameras. The Nikkor does feel and handle better though and just edges it in performance, especially at full aperture; and half a stop advantage.

And how does it feel on the cameras? Like you, I'd be using it on a D750 and a V1. BTW, does the Tamron work on the 1 series? I tried an 18-270 on my V1 and it didn't work at all so traded it in against an 18-200 Nikkor (which works just fine!)

ETA OOPS!!! Just read the last sentence - senior moment!!!

And how does it feel on the cameras? Like you, I'd be using it on a D750 and a V1. BTW, does the Tamron work on the 1 series? I tried an 18-270 on my V1 and it didn't work at all so traded it in against an 18-200 Nikkor (which works just fine!)

ETA OOPS!!! Just read the last sentence - senior moment!!!

I found the lens on a gripped D800 handles nicely and feels well balanced - it's a heavy combination but balanced.

I reckon I need to reconsider my technique - BiF shots were useless yesterday. Perhaps some of that is my technique and the D800's relatively poor AF performance. I need to revisit BiF again using this lens and either the D7100 or 750.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the results - a zoom lens is always a compromise and this one is catering well for all eventualities. Let's see if we get good light and I try BiF again with a different body.

Sorry - uploaded the wrong size file sharing, should be quicker now.... apologies

Thought I would ask, rather than be sorry afterwards, is the 200-500 fully compatible with Nikon D5200.

Yep - it's an AF-S lens so doesn't need a camera body motor to drive the AF.

Don't forget it's a DX crop sensor so you end up with a focal length equivalent of 300-750mm (35mm format).

Yep - it's an AF-S lens so doesn't need a camera body motor to drive the AF.

Don't forget it's a DX crop sensor so you end up with a focal length equivalent of 300-750mm (35mm format).
thanks, seems to be ideal for wildlife, what do you think about bike racing, some circuits are smallish, say from fence to track,

thanks, seems to be ideal for wildlife, what do you think about bike racing, some circuits are smallish, say from fence to track,

Optically it'll be perfect. It weighs 2.3 kg and my arm knows I used it yesterday testing it against Birds in Flight. Still an awesome lens though

Optically it'll be perfect. It weighs 2.3 kg and my arm knows I used it yesterday testing it against Birds in Flight. Still an awesome lens though

Nice to know,
I phoned Jessops again today, they had a due date of last week, they still haven't arrived in warehouse yet, according to man on phone they are imminent. :)

That's my worry! Adding another 600g to my current setup. Still, I'm sure I'll not be complaining when I get the shot I wouldn't have got with my current!

Barry, how did you get on with BiF shots, as this is the one thing i have still not seen or heard anything about after reading all the reviews i can find on the 200-500mm, and the one main reason i have not chopped my 300mm f4 in against one yet

Barry, how did you get on with BiF shots, as this is the one thing i have still not seen or heard anything about after reading all the reviews i can find on the 200-500mm, and the one main reason i have not chopped my 300mm f4 in against one yet

Good question! It's a work in progress :)
  • I was never that good at it
  • The blighters I chose (the only ones available to me) were supersonic on reheat or summat (didn't know gulls could fly that fast)
  • Too many options for AF/VR on the D750 and this lens (all new to me)
  • D800 notoriously poor AF for 'Sporty' stuff
  • Have only had lunch time to try it
  • Only used single shot mode (should've used Continuous)
AF s nowhere near as fast as the BigRon 150-600mm but it's more balanced and it's sharper at the far end of the zoom (Tamron soft at full aperture whereas the Nikkor is consistent all the way through the range)

I did get these though:-

D750
B50_0271 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

D800 (Marginally oversharpened :( although the leading edges of the wings are rim-lit )
DSC_7659 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Incidentally, they are about a 1/2 to 1/3 of the frame crops. (Grrr - and a 'dust bunny')

Last edited:
Nice one, cheers for that Barry, interesting you mention AF is faster on the BigRon 150-600, which 150-600 are you referring to (Sigma C or S, Tamron?)

Nice one, cheers for that Barry, interesting you mention AF is faster on the BigRon 150-600, which 150-600 are you referring to (Sigma C or S, Tamron?)

Tamron = BigRon
Well, it seems faster. I've not tried them side-by-side, so my findings are a bit subjective. I'll do some 'objectivity' tests later today, if I get time.

If you want any of the files 'full-size' I can put them on a server for you.

Tamron = BigRon
Well, it seems faster. I've not tried them side-by-side, so my findings are a bit subjective. I'll do some 'objectivity' tests later today, if I get time.

If you want any of the files 'full-size' I can put them on a server for you.

That would be great if you could ;)

Could I have a 100% crop image of a further away bird when you've got chance please? :D or well the original file even, then I can just zoom in myself.

Any really, the Mallard and one of the BiF would be nice

Gull in Flight

Mallard

Could I have a 100% crop image of a further away bird when you've got chance please? :D or well the original file even, then I can just zoom in myself.

Mallard in Flight - distant RAW/NEF

Interesting data on the distant shot above - focus point is accurate and 56.23 metres away (Not locked because of focus point grouping and continuous although DoF is somewhat optimistic [beta software])

mallard_if_fp.jpg

Last edited:
I am not sure that those "focus distance" figure on the "show focus points" plug in is accurate Barry

I know what you mean Bill - but for that shot I reckon 56 metres is not far off - it comes from the EXIF so blame Nikon for that one! I also wonder if it was where I first started tracking/trapped it - too many variable for a scientific, objective test.

The DoF calculation though is a plug-in algorithm I think. I reckon it's crunched the numbers against 200mm lens - certainly not 500mm! In fact, shallow DoF has been my biggest shock with this lens (after the invoice).

Nice one, cheers Barry, will have a proper look at them tonight when i get home, but that Mallard is showing some really fine detail :)

Nice one, cheers Barry, will have a proper look at them tonight when i get home, but that Mallard is showing some really fine detail :)

Thanks - I reckon this and the D800 is a good combination unless sporty stuff is involved.

I'm a bit undecided! I might have to rent one before going ahead. I'm not sure if the 80mm extra I'll gain over my 300+1.4 is worth it....hard to tell on a few photos but to me the quality looks slightly softer than my current...hmmm!

I wasnt going to download it but after i did i needed to play with it,now ime the first to admit ime only just starting down this photoshop road but i am impressed with what i could pull out after only a quick edit.

I'm a bit undecided! I might have to rent one before going ahead. I'm not sure if the 80mm extra I'll gain over my 300+1.4 is worth it....hard to tell on a few photos but to me the quality looks slightly softer than my current...hmmm!

I'm in exactly the same boat, but i'm somewhat undecided as wether to chop my 300mm f4 in against the 200-500mm, or keep the 300mm and add a Sigma 150-600 C as i can't justify the cost of having both 300mm and the 200-500mm, but then i don't know if i will regret not getting the 200-500mm on IQ over the Sigma............. arghhhhhh :mad:

Oh, forgot to mention, the Tamron is a lot faster focussing.

Ok... spent time subjectively testing this, one against the other. I don't quite know where I got the idea the Tamron was faster than the Nikkor. I reckon I was just going from memory and how pleased I was with the Tamron's speed.

Today, I found there is nothing in it. Ok, I don't have the ability to put a stopwatch against either of them but in my playing around with both lenses on different cameras they seem to be pretty much the same. If anything the Nikkor 'hunts' less and snaps to focus with more certainty. Even on 'old' kit like an F100 :)

I feel like I'm taking over this thread, not my intention - I just want to feed into you guys my findings (ramblings).

Back