Nikon 1 Series - show us your shots

Mine works fine with my 300mm AFS so dont see why the newer version would not work.

Just looking at the list of compatible lenses, before I pull the trigger on the FT-1 adapter, and the lenses that I would use it on aren't listed.

Does anyone use the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR (version 1) with their FT-1 adapter? I also have the Tamron 70-200 2.8 that I'd use too. But don't want to buy it if it's not compatible with these 2 lenses (obviously lol).

I don't use either of these lenses, but I do have the Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, which was the "go to" lens for Nikon 1 users who couldn't afford the Nikon 1 70-300mm, but this has been supplanted by the new AFP 70-300mm f6.3 DX nikkor which is probably the new "go to" lens.

There is a "lot" of information on the Nikon 1 forum at DPReview about what lenses work, and I am certainly aware of people using the 300mm f2.8 Nikkor with Nikon 1 (not sure why Nikon don't list it as compatible, as most Nikon lenses are). From memory I can't remember if the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 has ever been mentioned. Whether third party lens works or not is a bit of a lottery, and can be broken with a firmware update.

Fred Glickner has an incomplete and out of date list of third party compatible lenses, which doesn't help you but may be useful to be aware of http://nikon1user.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/ft-1-third-party-lens-compatibility.html

If you can't get anyone here with practical experience of these lenses, I would have a look at the Nikon 1 forum on DPReview. Its one of the better DPReview forums.

I don't use either of these lenses, but I do have the Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, which was the "go to" lens for Nikon 1 users who couldn't afford the Nikon 1 70-300mm, but this has been supplanted by the new AFP 70-300mm f6.3 DX nikkor which is probably the new "go to" lens.

There is a "lot" of information on the Nikon 1 forum at DPReview about what lenses work, and I am certainly aware of people using the 300mm f2.8 Nikkor with Nikon 1 (not sure why Nikon don't list it as compatible, as most Nikon lenses are). From memory I can't remember if the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 has ever been mentioned. Whether third party lens works or not is a bit of a lottery, and can be broken with a firmware update.

Fred Glickner has an incomplete and out of date list of third party compatible lenses, which doesn't help you but may be useful to be aware of http://nikon1user.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/ft-1-third-party-lens-compatibility.html

If you can't get anyone here with practical experience of these lenses, I would have a look at the Nikon 1 forum on DPReview. Its one of the better DPReview forums.

Excellent, thank you very much for the info (y)

I'll have a read of that forum this evening and see what's what.

Thank you,
Wez

Bit confused with the list of compatible lenses, i have used two different Sigma 50-500s with the V2 and both worked,i did read somewhere it can depend on which firmware you have.

50-500 sample image.

19503497450_353287f8c6_o.jpg

Bit confused with the list of compatible lenses, i have used two different Sigma 50-500s with the V2 and both worked,i did read somewhere it can depend on which firmware you have.]

Yep, I did mention the problem with firmware in my post, as I am aware that some third party lenses stopped working after one of the FT1 firmware updates. There also seems to have been an issue with third party lens firmware updates, with the same lens working for some people, but not for others.

You would think it should be easier than this, if the third party lens fully with the Nikon F mount, and Nikon produce a Nikon F to Nikon 1 adaptor why do some lenses not work and some do !!

Bit confused with the list of compatible lenses, i have used two different Sigma 50-500s with the V2 and both worked,i did read somewhere it can depend on which firmware you have.

50-500 sample image.

View attachment 112137
if you remember , my sigma 50-500 wouldn't work for me, which was very annoying at the time, it was only bought for the v2, but the sigma 150-600 worked like a dream..

The firmware on the 50-500 may have something to do with it,not all work on all Nikon dslrs

Well, the adapter has arrived this morning and I am truly stunned by it. I really thought that I would regret buying it as it did seem a lot of money.

Just trying in the garden but it seems fantastic.

Oh, and by the way, the Nikon 300mm 2.8 and Tamron 70-200 VC work flawlessly on it ;)

One happy bunny. Will get out shooting tomorrow as we're supposed to have some nice blue skies :)

Well, the adapter has arrived this morning and I am truly stunned by it. I really thought that I would regret buying it as it did seem a lot of money.

Oh, and by the way, the Nikon 300mm 2.8 and Tamron 70-200 VC work flawlessly on it ;)

One happy bunny. Will get out shooting tomorrow as we're supposed to have some nice blue skies :)

Very pleased to hear it, being able to mix and match my Nikon F mount lenses with my V1/V2 has been a big attraction of the Nikon 1 system for me.

I bet the 300mm 2.8 will be a cracker even with converter .

Can someone remind me of the benefits of V2 over V1 other than the extra pixels ... I would be using it with an FT-1 adapter and my prime lenses.

Can someone remind me of the benefits of V2 over V1 other than the extra pixels ... I would be using it with an FT-1 adapter and my prime lenses.

I prefer the handling (with 3rd party grip), viewfinder and image quality of my V1, but us my V2s almost exclusively because how much easier it is to change iso, focus mode, etc.

The "F" button on the V2 pops up several icons on the screen that you can jump between with the scroll wheel and change things like those mentioned above far more easily than diving into the menu. I also like that if you are on auto iso with the V2, the iso indicator in the viewfinder tells you the ISO the camera is using (rather than the maximum iso possible the way the V1 does), and you can switch the back screen off completely on the V2. Oh, and its much less easy to knock the mode dial, with the V1 I am forever knocking it off the stills mode

There may be other things, but overall, in spite of just liking the V1 more, the V2 is just that much more useable than the V1. Indeed using the same argument, in spite of the daft design decisions with the V3 (micro sd, addon grip and addon viewfinder) it is a step above the V2 and two steps above the V1 in terms of useability.

Oh, and in real life the V2 isn't nearly as ugly as it appears in photographs !!

Just have a nosey on this thread -massivley impressed with the pictures from these little cameras. Incredible how far technology has come now..

The only thing so that I don't like about the V2 is that I can't set up a button for back-button focus. Nothing wrong with the camera, it's just I've always used BBF.

If I hold the shutter down to focus on the subject, can I just keep it half pressed and then recompose? Or will it shift focus to the BG?

These ones were from taking stills whilst shooting video. There is a limit of 20 stills per 20 minute clip though.

View attachment 112574 View attachment 112575

Not bad for an old outdated camera:D just think where we could have been if Nikon hadn't closed the door on it.

There is a school of thought that Nikon hasn't dropped CX they have been holding it back for fear the consumer thought they where not taking mirrorless seriously and after DX and FX mirrorless we will see it being developed.

Not bad for an old outdated camera:D just think where we could have been if Nikon hadn't closed the door on it.

There is a school of thought that Nikon hasn't dropped CX they have been holding it back for fear the consumer thought they where not taking mirrorless seriously and after DX and FX mirrorless we will see it being developed.

That's interesting for the future.

So is the J5 their last mirrorless camera? No J6 in the works?

That's interesting for the future.

So is the J5 their last mirrorless camera? No J6 in the works?

I think it was a Thom Hogan write up and a also think he said the j6 was dropped for the same reason, i know patents don't mean much but Nikon have still been registering 1 series lenses, i do think this could be one reason we never saw the DL, imagine the flack they would have got from the is this Nikons answer to mirrorless brigade.

Cheers for that.
Ive been working towards producing those types of (out in the field, wild UK butterfly images) for several years now.

It’s really paying off.

Brilliant - and people say Nikon have not produced a decent mirrorless cameras!

If all the research from the 1 Series is ploughed into the FF camera to be presented on 23rd Aug we should be in for a big treat.

Brilliant - and people say Nikon have not produced a decent mirrorless cameras!

If all the research from the 1 Series is ploughed into the FF camera to be presented on 23rd Aug we should be in for a big treat.

Dont know how you can say that, every one knows the CX range was rubbish :D:exit:

Dont know how you can say that, every one knows the CX range was rubbish :D:exit:

I trust that was mixed with a modicum of provocation/irony? :)

The press slagged it off because they didn't think a small sensor like this could do all that Nikon claimed.... it 'failed' as System because of rubbish reviewers with an axe to grind - I don't think it was ever a technical failure - hey, 10 pages of 'rubbish' photos here prove it :D

Here's a bit more rubbish - well, it probably is from an artistic PoV ;)

800 ISO handheld 1/25s - Noisy as hell?

DSC_3090 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Just a day in London

DSC_5012 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

1800 iso 1/15s moving boat (Ok, got some noise in the sky)

DSC_4674 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Mrs. Chuckles in her element - she will not give up her V1 (ISO 400)

DSC_3855 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

A few more all taken with the Nikon 1 70-300mm. Un edited as I CBA. [emoji57]

_DSC6714.jpeg_DSC6974.jpeg_DSC6869.jpeg_DSC6925.jpeg

Back