Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

Very nice Barry........I especially like the third one - a lovely street candid.

Thanks Keith.... I upgraded to a V2 - bought it on Wednesday, went to Paris on Thursday! A good test and I love it! Not that I was disappointed with the V1 - Marianne still uses hers a lot - still an impressive system which doesn't get the credit it so rightly deserves :(

I know other manufacturers have their own systems but these little gems are the best as far as I'm concerned for unencumbered travel! Totally competent.

Had a day out on the Blickling Estate in Norfolk... we'd been promising ourselves a Bluebell chasing session for ages .... what a day we had (and I LOVE the 6.7-13mm zoom)

by bazpics2010, on Flickr

Smashing set Barry............the first one is very good indeed. Great colour rendition on them all! I don't have the 6.7-13mm lens (yet). I wouldn't mind the flash as well...................

If it's a modern G series lens then ALL the features are available but you get a 2.7x crop so, it effectively becomes 190-810mm :)

If connecting say a 70-300mm VR lens to either the J1 or V1 via an adapter, will it be a full manual lens or are some auto features still accessible (VR, AF metering etc)
Thanks

On the FT-1 F mount adaptor, all functions of the 70-300 are functional including VR, AF and metering. Lets you get right in there...
10JPG by gpn63, on Flickr

The only downside to the FT-1 is that you can only use the center focus point (on the V1 anyway - not sure about V2 or V3).

Not a major problem, but worth being aware of.

Hi Everybody.... I've started a thread which showcases what these little blighters can do.... maybe you would like to add your shots. (Well, all the other 'types' have a thread)

Nikon Series 1 showcase

The only downside to the FT-1 is that you can only use the center focus point (on the V1 anyway - not sure about V2 or V3).

Not a major problem, but worth being aware of.

Do you still get the same continuous focus as you do with the Nikon DSLR?

Anyone used the ft1 adaptor with the V1 and V2? Do they perform the same?

Next on my list to test.... can't imagine there is any difference although Nikon produced a firmware upgrade for the FT1 a few weeks back - that may have changed things.

Hello chaps.

Currently shooting with a 7 and 50D with various lenses and got a honeymoon coming up, thinking about purchasing a J2 or a Powershot SX280 (P&S) as they're currently on offer...

I'm swinging more towards the J2 based on poor battery and sensor performance reviews of the SX280.

Help me decide people!!

I'd probably try and find a V1 and then shoot with the EVF and the screen off to maximise battery life.

The battery on the J2 is pretty lame, often it barely lasts a day (if it's the same as the J1, which I think it is).

I was at an event and was shooting on a V1, getting good results. The guy next to me was shooting Canon with a biggish lens. All I can say, his interest was piqued when he looked at a 70-200mm f2.8 with FT1 adapter. He wanted to see my efforts on the screen.... his words to me, "Canon has got nowhere near that with their adapter mounted lenses on their compacts - I can't believe what you're getting".

Can't comment on the battery life on the J2 but the sensor never gets it's full due.... greatly under-rated. If I was to comment in negative terms - they are relatively expensive. Personally, I've never regretted the outlay though.

Second hand V1 is a good suggestion.

Hello all.
Well i sold my V1 to help finance my D7000 and lenses. but i really miss the little fella so i am going to get another one very soon.
Its great to see Nikon1 owners still out there and i love the showcase ( nice one chuckles ) i look forward to contributing soon.

V1 - I've bought a second back up body as I was afraid that there will be none left in a couple of years time

Well, there is an extra one floating around somewhere (in N.Ireland). My brother-in-law left his, that I sold him, on the roof of his car and drove off :(

I missed my V2 when the charger went faulty and I had to use all the heavy stuff! (Nikon replaced it free of charge [pardon the pun])

Just managed to bag myself a V1 with 10-30mm lens and FT1 adapter.
Waiting for it to arrive I cant wait to try my Tamron 150-600mm on it but with a 2.7x crop factor it will make it a 1600mm 35mm equivalent, perhaps I will finally get some use out of my tripod, I suspect it will be a tad too powerful to handhold :naughty:.

Look forward to seeing some results from that combination. Intriguing :thinking:

I have lots of Dragonflies taken with the V1 + FT-1 + Nikon 300mm f4
VDW.jpg

Beautiful_D_female.jpg

Common_Blue_male.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just joined the club with a V2 only got the 10-30 lens and cant decide between the 30-110 or the FT-1 adapter,first time out and i had to try a sort of flight shot.

View attachment 26157

Welcome to the Band Mike!

When using the FT1 adapter do you need good light?
I have found using the camera indoors with the FT1 and 70-300mm VR it needs to be manually focused first before AF works kicks in. If the lens is set to close focus or infinity then the shutter release half depressed nothing happens at all? The 10-30mm works perfectly.

Three from this morning with V1 taken through window into front garden

BC_V1.jpg

Robin_V1.jpg

Great_T_V1.jpg

Has anyone read a good review of the V1 versus the V3 …….I'm interested in knowing if the IQ is better with twice the number of pixels and what the performance is like at high ISO's

Can you link the review if you know of one or has anyone compared both cameras?

Cant do anything serious the lights been too poor,so just fooling around but enjoying it.

View attachment 26315

Well i have taken the plunge and ordered the FT-1 to go with my V2 and it should come tomorrow,not sure how it will go with my current lenses,i have the Tamron 150-600 but have read it will not work with that,an old AF sigma 105mm macro with no focus motor,ime hoping for auto exposure with that,a nikon 55-300 which should work but it may need changing for the Nikon 70-300 from an IQ position.

Well i have taken the plunge and ordered the FT-1 to go with my V2 and it should come tomorrow,not sure how it will go with my current lenses,i have the Tamron 150-600 but have read it will not work with that,an old AF sigma 105mm macro with no focus motor,ime hoping for auto exposure with that,a nikon 55-300 which should work but it may need changing for the Nikon 70-300 from an IQ position.

Mike, try it on a tripod with the longer lens if you can - the FOV at the 2.7 crop is quite narrow and at say 800mm effective there can be a lot of movement - look through the LCD and you will see it.
To get good sharp images at that range you need a steady hand

Mike, try it on a tripod with the longer lens if you can - the FOV at the 2.7 crop is quite narrow and at say 800mm effective there can be a lot of movement - look through the LCD and you will see it.
To get good sharp images at that range you need a steady hand

Thanks one of the reasons to try it with the 55-300 is i will probably be able to manage a tripod with that,when i take the tamron out old age makes the extra weight of a tripod a bit much.i can get sharp hand holding the tamron at an effective 900mm on the D7100 but have to have the iso higher than i would like.

Thanks one of the reasons to try it with the 55-300 is i will probably be able to manage a tripod with that,when i take the tamron out old age makes the extra weight of a tripod a bit much.i can get sharp hand holding the tamron at an effective 900mm on the D7100 but have to have the iso higher than i would like.

Hi Mike
I find two things - at even 300 x 2.7 = 810mm, the FOV is narrow and finding small birds that you can easily see with your eyes takes a few seconds to find - and by them most have buggered off - at 800mm there is movement even if you are at ISO 400, f4 and say 1/500 sec……. below that shutter speed sharpness can get tricky
I think 95%+ of my "good" shots have been taken using a tripod with the 300mm lens and above.
I also find that the V1 can have a tendency to over expose some shots versus a DSLR, plus, as far as I know, you only have one fixed single cell focus point when you are using the V1 plus FT-1 - three exposure modes but only one focus mode

Mike, I had a Tamron 18-270 which wouldn't work at all on the V1 with the FT-1 adaptor so I traded it in against a Nikkor 18-200 which works well on the rig, as does the 70-300VR Nikkor. Not tried to use either for BiF but have used the 70-300 as a zoo lens in relatively poor light. Actually, thinking back, that was on the 1 AW rather than the V1 but I think I've used it in similar conditions on the V1 as well.

Back