Nikon 500mm PF

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought mine in a lockdown madness impulse purchase from Harrison, I bought it primarily because of the weight factor and wanting another 500mm prime. OK it's not the F/4 I used to own but it's a damned good replacement for it. Mine is attached to a D500 and I use a mkiii t/c quite often with it. The one and only critisism is the foot, its cr@p, I have now removed the Nikon one and got a Wimberley AP500 foot fitted instead (£60 from WEX).

DSC_1343-DeNoiseAI-denoise.jpg

DSC_1288 (2)-DeNoiseAI-denoise.jpg

Last edited:
OP
AdamSi
Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought mine in a lockdown madness impulse purchase from Harrison, I bought it primarily because of the weight factor and wanting another 500mm prime. OK it's not the F/4 I used to own but it's a damned good replacement for it. Mine is attached to a D500 and I use a mkiii t/c quite often with it. The one and only critisism is the foot, its cr@p, I have now removed the Nikon one and got a Wimberley AP500 foot fitted instead (£60 from WEX).

View attachment 294480

View attachment 294481
Out of interest did you try Focal with the 500 and TC14e-III ? when I try it always fails, I can do in camera focus lens adjustment but not with focal as it appears to fail to lock on, still love mine though

OP
AdamSi
Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
Out of interest did you try Focal with the 500 and TC14e-III ? when I try it always fails, I can do in camera focus lens adjustment but not with focal as it appears to fail to lock on, still love mine though
Sorry no I haven't, I used them straight out of the box, focus seems pretty accurate.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
My 500PF has landed now so looking forward to giving it a whirl this weekend and then comparing the results with my 500mm f4 VR. Happy days.

Edit My Images
No
My 500PF has landed now so looking forward to giving it a whirl this weekend and then comparing the results with my 500mm f4 VR. Happy days.
Would be great to here your thoughts on how the out of focus areas compare from these two lenses - one being a f5.6 and the other an f4 - I know the answer should be obvious :) but have nikon managed to work an magic in there to help the f5.6.

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Putting aside cost and size weight for now, has anyone on here compared the image quality of the Nikon 200-500 F5.6 with the 500mm F5.6 PF on a Z body, and can comment on image quality alone (i.e. can you tell a difference). Yes I know the real benefit of the 500 PF is it's portability due to it's diminutive size and weight, but at 3 times the cost of the 200-500 is it's image quality, focus speed, bokeh etc really that much better than the zoom ?