Nikon AF-S 200–500mm f/5.6E ED VR

Can anyone recommend me a quick release plate for this?

Looking at the Wimberley P40 but it’s expensive for a chunk of metal.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks. I wanted a longer one though for my big hands.
There are loads on eBay but the advantage of the Wimberley 'P' series is the two additional screws to prevent it being twisted off, as the 200-500 has only one fixing hole.

Got my 'dropped' 200-500 back from the repairers this morning (actual repair carried out by Nikon Service).
Loads done including lens elements cleaned and calibrate/realign but it's come back without the replacement lens hood that was smashed ... really irritating after being without it already for 5 weeks! :(
What is 'quality assurance' supposed to be about!

Got my 'dropped' 200-500 back from the repairers this morning (actual repair carried out by Nikon Service).
Loads done including lens elements cleaned and calibrate/realign but it's come back without the replacement lens hood that was smashed ... really irritating after being without it already for 5 weeks! :(
How much did the repair set you back

Sadly I suspect Nikon just assume you buy a replacement hood and treat it as a consumable.

How much did the repair set you back
Sadly I suspect Nikon just assume you buy a replacement hood and treat it as a consumable.

The repair didn't cost me anything, well other than the £25 for accidental cover with John Lewis and I'm glad I decided to do that even though I've never damaged any kit like that before.
The lens hood was quoted in the repair document as being replaced (as it should, being part of the accidental damage and insured) just shoddy service from Nikon.

Couple of shots from RIAT 2018 at Fairford, both using the 200-500mm f5.6 on the D500:

43435458511_4e922f6d69_b.jpg

43435464661_540ccab832_b.jpg

GC

Super shots, I had trouble using the lens for long periods handheld. Having a slow shutter speed to give prop movement and tired arms after a couple of hours meant lots of blurred photos.

Re Arca Swiss plates, I just swapped out the whole tripod collar [mine wouldn't stop rotation even when 100% tightened anyway] and got one from "iShoot" on eBay. I've had some of their stuff before and whilst it's that typical cheap and cheerful Chinese product, the quality is quite reasonable and it comes with an integral Arca Swiss fitment so no need for an additional plate.

Bought mine from Cambrian yesterday - price matched Grays but prefer to buy off people I have known 20+ years.

Stupid enough to forget taking either D500 or D810 with me to Colwyn Bay, so tested the lens on a D5500 - what a dreadful little camera, there is an enormous gulf between the D5#00 and D7#00 series in usability...

Just need the sun to come out now. Can't wait to use it.

Mine should be arriving tomorrow. :banana:

Anyone got any tips for carrying it around? I'm assuming the best thing to do is attach a strap to the tripod foot, like the Black Rapid?

Are there any other options, and is the a way of attaching a quick release strap rather than screwing it to the foot?

I have a arca swiss plate on the foot. I drilled and tapped the plate and fitted a metal D loop and then to that I use Peak Design quick disconnect.

Well it did arrive today. Going to take some time to get used to the size and weight. It's so much larger and heavier than any lens I've used before.

Just tried it out in the kitchen and the VR truly is as miraculous as I've been led to believe. :wideyed:

Can't wait to get out with it now. Hope we actually get some daylight at the weekend!

Just became the proud owner of one of these, played with a few tamron/sigma 150-600 sorts but this just felt so much better.

Picked it up today, not tried it yet, but I must say I’m disappointed in Nikon for not supplying a real case, just the soft bag, it doesn’t fit my small cam bag so I’m looking for a soft/hard case to keep it in, any ideas ?

Last edited:
Went to London Wetlands Centre with mine this morning - it does raise eyebrows doesn't it?

It feels like the lens I've been waiting for for years... And belongs on the D500. My faith in my 80-400 was tested by its progressive failure to focus and just being able to get birds sharp straight away was a joy. Even tracking lapwings was more successful.

Same issues with casing as Scott - my kit has outgrown my bag..:(

Mine just lives on the D500 with a TC-1.4Elll in a lowepro flipside 300aw
I do have the flip side 450 and yes it fits fine but I’m not keen on the backpack style, love my little slingshot 202, I’d happily just carry the 202 and have an additional dedicated case/holder for the 200-500.

The main thing is I flip the slingshot round to my stomach and use it as a steady/surface to rest on while standing and hand holding, works surprisingly well as a support.

Incidentally, passing through Birmingham airport the other day, they had the 200-500 on sale for about £850 in Dixons - in case anyone is travelling soon and also wanted one.

Decided against the Black Rapid strap in the end.
Mainly because I wanted to get a Peak Designs strap that I could clip back onto the body when I was carrying it with other lenses, so if I got the BR I'd have to get the PD as well, so I thought why have 2 straps when 1 can do both jobs!

Plus when I searched Black Rapid on here found several very critical posts, which put me off somewhat.

So I got the PD Slide which comes with 4 anchors and a small plate, so 2 anchors on my camera body, and the plate on the foot of my 200-500 with the other 2 anchors for walking sling-style. Walked for about 6 hours on Sunday with my D7200 and 200-500 this way with a backpack as well and it stayed comfy all day.

Last edited:
Back