Nikon D2x/xs/h/hs owners thread

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
I threatened to set this up in another thread do thought is go through with it :)

I've been using a pair of firmware upgraded D2x bodies for two years. I shoot professionally for magazines, so these were the ideal choice for what I needed being a photographer who spends the majority of my time in pretty harsh conditions.

I used Canon (10/20/30/40D) for neatly a decade but decided to move over to Nikon with the purchase of a D200. Anyway, that stayed with me for a year until I craved for a gripped high-end body, which is when I opted for a D2x at a good price off fleabay.

Obviously, things have moved on in technology but IMO, the D2 series is still a brilliant and very cheap way to buy into top-end performance and build quality. IQ is excellent, with fantastic tonal range, especially ay lower ISOs. It's great up to ISO 800, and still very useable at the hi1 (1600) setting with the right exposure.

One thing that still rings true about this camera, and this takes the D3 into consideration, is that handling and button layout is top notch and the best I've ever used, and is only a tiny bit different to the newer D3 series.

So, there any other users out there let's keep the flame alive :)

Last edited:
Don't have the D2x but do have a D2Hs purchased from a member here and it probably gets more use than my D3 in as much as it's a lesser value camera for me to take when I'm out and about work-wise or otherwise not on a 'formal' photo trip.
It doesn't have the finesse and better A/F of the D3 but it still produces good results and also gives me an opportunity to use some different lenses.
I think the D2 gives anyone the opportunity to have a good pro camera at what is now a very reasonable price.

I'm still using a D2x and at low iso the IQ is still good even though it has been used in rain hail and shine.

Icee said:
I'm still using a D2x and at low iso the IQ is still good even though it has been used in rain hail and shine.

Low ISO it really is a brilliant camera. With the lights levels dropping somewhat lately, I'm now shooting at 800 and hi1 (1600) a fair bit now: not ideal, as the contrast goes a bit iffy and needs beefing up if I ETTR but LR3's noise reduction does a pretty good job and I get useable DPSs out of them. Still surprises me how much you can tweak those high ISO shots before the noise ruins things, especially in the shadows.

Anyone use compressed NEF files? Not tried it yet (and don't want to today while on a job) but it sounds useful for when you need a bit more flexibility than JPEG....

Anyone use compressed NEF files? Not tried it yet (and don't want to today while on a job) but it sounds useful for when you need a bit more flexibility than JPEG....

I've used the compressed NEFs, they lost a little bit of quality but still better than jpegs.

Icee said:
I've used the compressed NEFs, they lost a little bit of quality but still better than jpegs.

Cool. Will have a play tonight at home. For events where I'm doing up to 1000 shots and they'll rarely be used bigger than A4, it may be an option just to take less space and speed up the transfer and processing part....

i still use a D2Xs as my main camera body (y)

even had some reasonable shots at 800ISO like this spy shot of a prototype buggy taken in a relatively poorly lit barn!

Durango DEX408 by sh0wtime, on Flickr

Cool. Will have a play tonight at home. For events where I'm doing up to 1000 shots and they'll rarely be used bigger than A4, it may be an option just to take less space and speed up the transfer and processing part....

I think it would be ideal for that.

not used mine for ages :shake:

getting a bit desperate for some inspiration now :shrug:

Still own a D2x D2H and D2HS with low iso the image quality is on a par with any of my other Dslr's.
A friend has a D2HS and he has produced some really excellent A3 prints from it's mere 4mp sensor.
It's interesting to see the New D7100 has added a 1.3 crop to it's specifications.
I have always enjoyed having the 2x crop on the D2X when shooting wildlife.

I've now supplemented my D2x with a D5100 for low light situations.

I have to say that the D5100 is a wicked little thing - tiny, light as a feather, fabulous screen size and quality, perfectly comparable image quality at ISOs you wouldn't dream of setting on your D2x.

But until I get a D3s, my D2x will remain my go-to camera for the majority of shooting situations. The D5100, capable though it is, just can't compete with the feel of the D2x or the accessibility of its functions, nor can it compete with the D2x's viewfinder. :)

just retired my D2Hs after 510,000+ actuations. It still works fine but i am a bit fed up with the low light performance, It has been replaced by a D3. Still have my
D2x

Retro Nikon digital.
Great VFM, and if you need a tough body great.In terms of IQ,higer ISo etc how do they compare to a D3200, or even a D3100?

Just got myself a D2X and even though it's very much a "legacy" camera it still seems to produce good quality images.
I have been using a Ricoh GR for the last year or so but was starting to miss having a decent DSLR after selling my D700 to finance the GR.
It only goes to ISO 800 but I probably did not make the most of the D700 ISO 6400 capability much so not that worried about lack of high ISO.
I think I prefer the D2X viewfinder to the D700 as I wear glasses and I seem to remember not easily being able to read all the edge displays easily but the D2X viewfinder is just so easy to see everything.
I notice that the D2X does not support the newer Nikon "picture control" system but the native Mode I, II & III seem to work very well in conjunction with Capture NX2.
I was originally thinking of getting a D2H but getting one in good condition was not easy (they mostly seem to be battered ex-pro with 50,000+ shutter counts) and it seems the D2X is much less "rare" even though the cost is slightly more.

in decent light at base ISO the D2x can still produce lovely detailed images :)

Had the camera 3 weeks now and i'm really impressed! Have also just brought a used nikon 17-55/2.8 from mpb (pretty much mint condition but 50% "new" price!) to go with it and it seems like an ideal combo. I previously owned a D700 and 50/1.4g (sold a couple of years ago as I needed the money at the time) and in some ways I'm actually liking the D2x & 17-55 more even though it's not got the high iso capabilities of the d700. I'll probably get a sb800 flash to go with it before too long.

I've had my D2Xs for many years now and still love using it and miss its heft when using more modern cameras such as my D3200 or D750. Ergonomically it is just about perfect for me.
I think it was Thom Hogan that said something along the lines that 'the D2X may not have many pixels by today's standards but it has beautiful pixels'. I couldn't agree more.
When it dies, if it ever does, it will become my favourite paper weight.
Update: Another Thom Hogan quote "I’d argue that the D2x was the best 12mp APS sensor at base ISO ever produced." Says it all really.

Last edited:
I've had my D2Xs for many years now and still love using it and miss its heft when using more modern cameras such as my D3200 or D750. Ergonomically it is just about perfect for me.
I think it was Thom Hogan that said something along the lines that 'the D2X may not have many pixels by today's standards but it has beautiful pixels'. I couldn't agree more.
When it dies, if it ever does, it will become my favourite paper weight.
Update: Another Thom Hogan quote "I’d argue that the D2x was the best 12mp APS sensor at base ISO ever produced." Says it all really.

Yes I have to agree it's a beautiful bit of kit I have the D2x,D2H & D2Hs among many others but my first half decent kingfisher shots came off the D2x along with many more images over the years !
Another olden that produced lovely colours and images was my old D1x batteries were the big down side with them I lost count of how may I purchased over the years and without regular use they expired way to soon :(

I've kept mine but tbh i've not taken it out even once after i got my D3.
perhaps we should have a "take your Classic DSLR for a walk" kinda thing in the summer on a sunny Sunday...?

I've kept mine but tbh i've not taken it out even once after i got my D3.
perhaps we should have a "take your Classic DSLR for a walk" kinda thing in the summer on a sunny Sunday...?
There's always the classifieds :D

There's always the classifieds :D
Said with a smile I know but what is the point of getting rid of a superb bit of kit which is only worth a couple of hundred pounds in todays market.
I still have my D70 for similar reasons and use it occasionally as well. 6Mp are plenty for web use and if the environment is 'hostile' then I'm not risking too much.

Well the way i see it is that if you hang onto something long enough then it starts to become worth money again. :naughty: only camera i ever sold was my D800 that i never really ever liked. hopefully the D810 will prove better?
Especially something like a D2Xs which was the last full size bodied DX camera, or even the D200 as the last of the solidly built CCD sensored models. Even the D3 as the first full sized bodied full frame camera...
They're almost landmark cameras in the timeline. the D500 will no doubt belong to the landmark cameras in time. ;)
Strangely enough i don't think we'll see people getting nostalgic about D600, D5000 or D750's in the future :tumbleweed:

Strangely enough i don't think we'll see people getting nostalgic about D600, D5000 or D750's in the future :tumbleweed:
You are so right. I feel quite indifferent about my D750 despite its virtues, yet I still get a kick out of using the D2X. Being only 12Mp it is also more tolerant of the older AFD lenses which are far cheaper and more compact than the current AFS breed.

So.....
Shall we try to organise something later in the year where we take the old beasts out & give them an airing?
Much like a classic car owner will take their car out on a sunny Sunday maybe thats something we could think about with our classic cameras, take them out on a sunny Sunday when we're in no rush (y)

I can remember doing a classic old camera day with a friend a couple of years ago.
we took two old Fuji S2po bodies I had along with manual focus non metering 50mm f1:1.2 Nikkor lenses across to a local woodland
It was Gr8 going back to basics and a histogram was used for setting up exposure in manual mode all pretty simple really and great fun :)

Back