Beginner Nikon D3300 opinions

Name
Joanna
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, can I please have some opinions on Nikon D3300? I am beginner in photography. I recently had a baby and I would like to be able to capture all the memories with her. In the future I would like to attend photography course. I am looking for camera that will last me a long time and will help me to become more advanced. I will appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

It's an entry level DSLR, but used properly will be capable of excellent results. It's really about understanding the lighting and composition that makes a good photograph, and then knowing how to operate your camera to capture what you see.

One thing that might be worth considering, if you're planning to take your camera out-and-about with your child, is whether a more compact model may be worthwhile (such as a micro-four-thirds mirrorless, or a good compact like Sony's RX100 series)? Even though the D3300 is quite small by DSLR standards, you might still find that it's inconvenient to carry around with you on trips out if you're having to also carry all the rest of the baby stuff. A more compact camera can be easily dropped into a bag or even a pocket, and you're much more likely to take it with you and then be able to capture those moments. Mirrorless cameras have all the flexibility of their larger DSLR cousins, but without (in most cases) the bulk. Compacts have less flexibility, but the good ones can produce fantastic photos.

Otherwise though, the D3300 is by all accounts a great camera. I have a D3200, the preceding model, and have been extremely pleased with it and the results I've achieved.

Last edited:
I think its nice to have a good camera but you do need to learn how to use them to get the best results. Sometimes the best camera is the one you have in your hand and for a lot of people its a camera phone. I would get a short list of cameras and go and try a few out

The D3300 will be great, as will any entry level SLR nowadays - it's hard to find a bad one to be honest. I'd ask yourself what your plans are though - if you want to build a system (various lenses, flashes, etc) then it'll be a great starting point, but if you just plan on using it as is then you might well be better off with a decent compact. I still use an ancient Canon S95 and get great shots with it just because it's always in my pocket, whereas my various SLRs often stay at home 'cos they weigh a ton, especially when you chuck in a couple of lenses. I'm not sure what the modern Canon equivalent would be, but the Panasonic Lumix LX100 looks amazing if a little over budget.

Another good option might be a Micro 4/3 camera - I've recently picked up a Panasonic GX80 with kit lens which came in at £350 after cashback and it's pretty damn amazing. Possibly a bit more user friendly than an SLR with lots of cunning assists but also gives full manual control (and I find it nicer to use than lower end SLRs, and better in some ways than a higher end D7200 as well).

I think it's a great camera for starting out with, unless you know that something different will do something specific you want better. Of course, I could be biased since it was the first and only DSLR I've had since last summer.

As is often said, the trick to getting the best out of any camera is learning how to capture what you see in your mind.

I have the D3300, and I love the quality of the images it produces. Only little niggle for me, it only has eleven auto focus points. I use mine most days, and I am very happy with it.

Just looking at some I took with the D3300, very good images, even at pretty high ISO.

How does the 50mm compare to a 35mm one? Any experience in them?

The 50mm is the full-frame equivalent to 75mm on a Nikon DX camera, so works as a short telephoto (and is likely good for portraits and similar). The 35mm is the full-frame equivalent of 52.5mm - so is closer to a "Nifty Fifty" than the actual 50mm lens and is probably more useful as a walkaround lens due to the wider FOV. I've only got the 35mm, but both are by all accounts excellent.

I have both 35 and 50mm and I agree with the above comments. I don't think you will Ben disappointed.

One point to note, it doesn't have a focus motor in the camera body so, for auto focus, you will need to check the lens has its own motor.

Last edited:
I have both 35 and 50mm and I agree with the above comments. I don't think you will Ben disappointed.

One point to note, it doesn't have a focus motor in the camera body so, for auto focus, you will need to check the lens has its own motor.

Brilliant advise ill message the company to double check

Been out with my D3300 this morning. I took the kit lens it came with, and my 35mm 1.8G, and an old Tamron 28mm - 300mm. The Tamron was a bit fiddly, as I had to use manual zoom, but images are great. The 35mm is pretty good also. I must say, the kit lens does produce some pretty good images, certainly worth keeping hold of.

I'm sure the Nikon D3300 will be a great choice to start with and to get a grasp of all the nesarsery basics.
Also go online and look at the photography tutorials available.
I'm think you will learn a lot from them and they are always available to you.
I look forward to seeing your work here in the future :)

Borrowed its older equivalent (can't remember if it was a 3100 or 3200) and other than me being unfamiliar with it, enjoyed using it and got decent results. In some ways, I wish I'd bought it, since it was very well priced at the time. (It was loaned to me by a now closed camera shop on a "you bend it, you've bought it!" basis when I wanted the extra apparent reach and MP count of a Dx camera when I was using a D700.)

Borrowed its older equivalent (can't remember if it was a 3100 or 3200) and other than me being unfamiliar with it, enjoyed using it and got decent results. In some ways, I wish I'd bought it, since it was very well priced at the time. (It was loaned to me by a now closed camera shop on a "you bend it, you've bought it!" basis when I wanted the extra apparent reach and MP count of a Dx camera when I was using a D700.)
Got my D3300 from John Lewis when they had the price drop. It went as low as £275 with kit lens, and a Spare battery a cleaning pen, and a camera bag. They are back up to £319 now, just for the camera and kit lens.

Borrowed its older equivalent (can't remember if it was a 3100 or 3200)
I have used a friends D3200, and that seems similar IQ to my D3300. I don't think the D3100, is the same sensor though.

I'm also a D3300 user and it's my first foray into proper DSLR photography. All my previous hardware has been either point and squirt compacts or bridge cameras. I have to say I am rather happy with it and can already see a big improvement in both the capabilities of the camera and also my own growing abilities in using it.

My thinking at the time of purchace was to get a decent entry level DSLR and spend any excess from my budget on glass, which i duely did. I ended up getting the Tamron 70 - 300 (with image stabilization) and then later got a Sigma 18 - 250 as i got fed up with constantly changing from the kit lens to the Tamron and found the Sigma to be a better, if somewhat compromised, walkabout lens. In retrospect though, I do wish I'd have stretched myself a little further on the camera body. The lack of bracketing on the 3300 makes HDR something of a pain and the flip screen on the 5300 would have been a great help in getting low down shots and/or seeing live view in bright sun.

Other than that though I'm very happy.

The 3300 has no low pass filter so tecnically should be a bit sharper plus expeed 4 i believe over 3 but both v good.
The sensor is really good.for the price its hard to beat

Back