Nikon D3S - due three weeks time.

...let the speculation begin :)

I say 1,000mp with a 6x6" sensor and a buffer capable of shotting raw + JPEG at 63fps for a million years...

...and the kit lens is a 200-400 f/4 ;)

...let the speculation begin :)

I say 1,000mp with a 6x6" sensor and a buffer capable of shotting raw + JPEG at 63fps for a million years...

...and the kit lens is a 200-400 f/4 ;)

No, its a basic upgrade with video, much like the D300s before it....

Well its a bit late... I reckon we'd see a D3s a while back.

I got the name right this time :)

Video mode :wacky::puke::nuts:
Buffer upgrade.

What else is missing?

hmmm...potential for another almost pointless 'upgrade' if true? Bigger buffer, extra shiny FX badge and different shade of green for the top and bottom rear LCD panels? lol

Pointless to some, but dont forget this is talk photography and photographers need to come to grips with the fact that things move and moving is selling. remember Monday mornings on the BBC - static images of Frank Lampard scroing a goal pointing up. Now you can see the build up, the goal and the celebration. It is here and now on BBC, Yahoo, news channels etc - all that needs sorting is the rights and bobs your uncle. When I was covering Bristol Rugby last season, local TV reporter David Passmore used to sit next to me with an HD video camera - prior to that, nothing, nada, nilch but broadcast quality pocket cameras and SLR are here killing stills. So, a pointless upgrade maybe, but the film fraternity, will, much like the 5D2 lap it up and downloadable newspapers are the next big thing I think.

I would have thought they'd wait for a 'new' pro body for video so it can be all singing all dancing. Still, guess we'll see if there is any truth in this whatsoever...

For a D3 owner, a D3s may not be a worthwhile upgrade.

Diego hasn't been wrong yet, not that it makes any difference to me but my money's on him being right ;)

For a D3 owner, a D3s may not be a worthwhile upgrade.

Diego hasn't been wrong yet, not that it makes any difference to me but my money's on him being right ;)

He is definately 100% right.

Bet your house on it. And your dog / cat / wife.

Pointless to some, but dont forget this is talk photography and photographers need to come to grips with the fact that things move and moving is selling. remember Monday mornings on the BBC - static images of Frank Lampard scroing a goal pointing up. Now you can see the build up, the goal and the celebration. It is here and now on BBC, Yahoo, news channels etc - all that needs sorting is the rights and bobs your uncle. When I was covering Bristol Rugby last season, local TV reporter David Passmore used to sit next to me with an HD video camera - prior to that, nothing, nada, nilch but broadcast quality pocket cameras and SLR are here killing stills. So, a pointless upgrade maybe, but the film fraternity, will, much like the 5D2 lap it up and downloadable newspapers are the next big thing I think.
My point is, they should just bring out a NEW camera rather than spruce up an old model with barely any extra features. Of course, I'm saying this without even knowing what the features are going to be :nuts:

My point is, they should just bring out a NEW camera rather than spruce up an old model with barely any extra features. Of course, I'm saying this without even knowing what the features are going to be :nuts:

OK, oh, and your employer are to blame :D:D:D:D:nuts:

My point is, they should just bring out a NEW camera rather than spruce up an old model with barely any extra features.

Bringing out a new body wouldn't be too clever, Canon still don't have a direct rival to the D3, the MkIII is a long way off so we won't see Nikon's next efforts until after the release of the MkIV IMO.

Ok, D3S, obvious release and it keeps the Nikon range fresh. Of course no need to upgrade and before anyone starts getting excited, I can't see the S effecting 2nd hand prices of a D3 because a D3 is a state of the art camera for the discerning photographer, its not like the S has better AF or twice as many MP's or whatever. The price won't move.

Pointless to some, but dont forget this is talk photography and photographers need to come to grips with the fact that things move and moving is selling. remember Monday mornings on the BBC - static images of Frank Lampard scroing a goal pointing up. Now you can see the build up, the goal and the celebration. It is here and now on BBC, Yahoo, news channels etc - all that needs sorting is the rights and bobs your uncle. .

There's a very big BUT in that statement.

Given the likes the of FA or F1 and their daily YouTube jihad I think its going to be a long way off yet.

I'm waiting for the crackdown to start in motorsport - we usually have to sign a piece of paper to say we won't record moving images - I can easily see this extending to "you can't use that equipment here" - a bit like employers cracked down on camera phones.

Luckily we have a foolproof method of capturing video already - a bloke with a Canon XL-2...
I'm more than happy not to have to fart around capturing video as well as stills as they require different thought-processes and a different approach to the subject...

I REALLY HATE Video...

Can't say I'm surprised by the news of a D3s at all tbh. Would like to see the full spec list though (other than video that is).

I think it is just a cynical way of increasing the price.

With the D300 on the street price of £1100..... Bring out new model at £1300.... Sell both.... Drop the cheap one.... Oh the price has gone up without there being any real increase in manufacturing cost etc.

I am sure we will see it with both the D3 and D700. I doubt many people will upgrade but I doubt that that is the market they are actually looking for.

I think it shows that with the D3 we've got as far as we can go - for now.

I think it shows that with the D3 we've got as far as we can go - for now.

Given that Nikon use Sony sensors, it shows that the latest generation of Sony sensors have not been released to them yet because Sony have kept them for their latest bodies which have just come out.

I'd probably hazard a guess that it will be something like 6-9 months before we start to hear about the D400/D4. But you can get an idea of what will be coming if you look at the latest Sony bodies.

Given that Nikon use Sony sensors, it shows that the latest generation of Sony sensors have not been released to them yet because Sony have kept them for their latest bodies which have just come out.

I'd probably hazard a guess that it will be something like 6-9 months before we start to hear about the D400/D4. But you can get an idea of what will be coming if you look at the latest Sony bodies.

The d700, d3 and d3x sensors are all produced by nikon afaik

Back