Nikon D3S - due three weeks time.

Assuming this camera is not a ruse, and that nikon are indeed releasing a 1080p dslr and assuming £4.5k is really the price tag, why would someone such as myself, interested as much in its video capabilities as for stills, seriously consider this over the 5D mk2, at half the price?

Apart from High Iso performance (which addmittedly the 5dmk2 is no slouch at either), lightning quick AF, better battery system and access to Nikon's CLS? All in a rugged weather sealed body? Dual CF slots (how did we do without them?)

Apart from High Iso performance (which addmittedly the 5dmk2 is no slouch at either), lightning quick AF, better battery system and access to Nikon's CLS? All in a rugged weather sealed body? Dual CF slots (how did we do without them?)
That all sounds good to me... but not 2-grand-extra good. Christ, I could get fully kitted up with a video editing suite for that. :thinking:

That all sounds good to me... but not 2-grand-extra good. Christ, I could get fully kitted up with a video editing suite for that. :thinking:

Sure you can but that's essentially because there are features that you may not require.

There is no real comparison to a 5DMkII and a D3/D3s. Two completely different jobbies.

One is a top end full frame body with a high FPS, shutter count rated up 300,000 and the other has a larger file size output, slow FPS and a shutter rated up to 150,000.

I'm not one for justifying huge price tags but there are significant differences between the two bodies which reflect the price tag. (y)

Where's everyone getting this 2K dearer, don't forget the srp for the D3 is near enough 4K, be interesting to see what the street price ends up.

Given that Nikon use Sony sensors, it shows that the latest generation of Sony sensors have not been released to them yet because Sony have kept them for their latest bodies which have just come out.
traditionally Nikon get to announce a body using a new Sony sensor slightly ahead of Sony.
As far as FF is concerned Sony only have 1 atm in the A850/A900.

The new Pentax K-x looks to have the new Sony APS-C sensor from the A5xx series - I guess it wasn't ready when Nikon were doing their APS-C refreshes.

No, Sony do produce them.
The D3X sensor is definitely at heart a Sony sensor (probably with minor variations in CFA etc.) - the same 1 as in the A850/A900.
The D3/D700 sensor afaik is unique - it may well be fabbed by Sony but it's not used by them or anybody else & may well not have been designed by Sony.

But they're still primarily stills cameras with very different aims and abilities. And if it's video you're after the 7D beats the 5D II...

Ok, so they're aimed at different areas of the market. Fair enough.

As for the 7D... nice, but i'm only looking at full frame options. Makes the most sense lens-wise.

I think this may be a bad move by nikon, they are stopping production of the D3? (as they appear to have all vansihed) the new D3s is a lot dearer than the camera it's replacing with as far as we know video! whoopi do, you can buy a bloody good camcorder for 1.5K

£4.5k though - ouch. That's a hell of a premium.

Indeed! 4.5K? For video? Is there any other info on the spec? Just had a quick google... can't find anything substantial! Already find the D3 somewhat overpriced when you look at the D700 and compare their specs... hmmm D3s won't be on my shopping list!

getting back on track... well done, you are a very lucky man and hope it serves you well.

I'm now seeing talk of a tweaked sensor and expanded ISO range along with a nuts 14fps and 1080P video. That'd need a new mirror box.

Does this mean the price of the D3 will be pushed downwards just before release?

Irrelevant - you won't find one for love nor money regardless of the price...no more will be imported to the UK...

When I tried to source D3 bodies for my Tour, I was told by the Major Accounts Manager at Calumet UK that they weren't ordering any more D3's - same story (privately) at Warehouse Express. Hence getting the D3x bodies to tide me over in the meantime...

I think video modes on DSLRS is fzbulous. They just need to be fine tuned - get a built in stereo mic, silent AF and no cmos wobble.

I would love to be able to say this sentence, getting a D3x to tide me over...! :D

The HQ Land Combat camera Team stills Phot actually has had to deploy with borrowed D3x bodies and he's not happy about it - we need D3 out here for the high ISO/low noise capability...

My '3x will stay firmly tucked-up for the duration save for the odd in-camp portrait...

It sure is a lot for HD video...

So will there be a D3Xs too?

The "S" designation is Nikon's term for a slightly improved interim product, so maybe. Either that or they will jump to a D4X...

I can't keep up... The basstids at Land gave me a small pocket cam-corder to film with - that went straight in the cupboard...
The PA photographer who was out on saturday had a mini-DV camcorder attached to his ancient EOS 1D by a plate on the bottom of the camera - he had it switched on throughout - maybe it is the way ahead... I for one, fervently hope not...

The HQ Land Combat camera Team stills Phot actually has had to deploy with borrowed D3x bodies and he's not happy about it - we need D3 out here for the high ISO/low noise capability...

My '3x will stay firmly tucked-up for the duration save for the odd in-camp portrait...

So when you get hold of the 3s are you gonna be offloading the 3x cheap? hehe

We won't be getting it - and all obsolete kit gets backloaded to Calumet for refurbishment and sold on the 2nd hand market by job lot at auction.

TBH - we have more than enough capability with the D3 and D3x...
For Video we deploy fully-trained ENG cameramen armed with Canon XL-2 in the 'light' role and Ikagami cameras in the 'heavy' role...

Well it depends which rumor you listen to. Some said the 6th Oct and others said 15th.

As Arkady has already said, getting hold of a D3 now seems tricky. Either everywhere seems to be sold out or "awaiting stock" :( I really want to purchase one...

This D3s - I don't really require video but there will be others that do and technology should always move forward but for 1.5k extra :(....

It's not for £1.5k extra though, it's £500 extra... The MSRP of the D3 is £3999.99

It's not for £1.5k extra though, it's £500 extra... The MSRP of the D3 is £3999.99

Oh the websites I've been reading have been misleading quite a few, including myself...

Still the current D3 I'm looking at is £3k but The D3s will be 1k more... It's been said on here already but surely for the extra 1k you can pick yourself a half if not decent camcorder (I don't know much about those) :)

Back