Nikon D3S - due three weeks time.

The D90 is 5 minutes or 2GB, whichever is reached first.
Yeah I think it was reading about the D90 ages ago that made me think DSLRs did 5 minute chunks :)

Diego, how come you can get away with letting slip there is a D3s coming along so far in advance when everyone else is sworn by death to keep schtum?

Diego, how come you can get away with letting slip there is a D3s coming along so far in advance when everyone else is sworn by death to keep schtum?

Methinks he has an odd sense of humour, either that or he's deranged :)

D3s.... ain't never gonna happen!

Here's a 'better' view, massively enlarged from an underexposed portion from another frame - no prizes for the photography here!

11x2009HERRICK1100010066R.jpg

Did that lens get damaged during a battle Rob? The bokeh is terrible, look what its done to the face of that poor bloke in the background;)

Aha, well I have joined the Southville types and live here now. Its like Notting Hill (sans stabbings). All the luvvie types sat outside bistro's and coffee shops drinking tall skinny things with a mac book and a big newspaper, of which 9/10ths of them are bald.

Must.get.a.macbook :D

Join me one day Dan - 'two skinny latte's please - we are photographers darling'. :nuts:

Love to darling... mwah mwah!!

Lots of friends have emigrated to Clifton View.. sorry I mean Southville in search of the good life while I am still dodging the hoodies up the hill. No skinny lattes here, just pints of Natch sat on the pavement outside the Dog'n Hammer :)

Must pop into said high street retailer and say ello some day, might even persuade you to come out and play!

from Nikon Rumours

* Anti-dust system.
* The max ISO is at 12 800 + an extra Hi3 mode (102 400 ISO)
* 9 fps (FX), 11 fps (DX)
* Video @ 720p 24 fps.
* Quiet mode.

Stop it - the excitement is killing me. (Even though I have the sense to realise it is ONLY a camera I still think it'll be one seriously good piece of kit).

And there's always the desk-eating if not.

By the way - this time tomorrow we'll all have LOTS to talk about I reckon (please let me be right!!)

from Nikon Rumours

* Anti-dust system.
* The max ISO is at 12 800 + an extra Hi3 mode (102 400 ISO)
* 9 fps (FX), 11 fps (DX)
* Video @ 720p 24 fps.
* Quiet mode.

100,000 iso lol......pretty much the first time in main stream cameras?

Somebody wont be invited to the next preview of Nikon kit :LOL:

Still no important news though... Lenses...

hmmmm well if this spec is accurate I'm feeling underwhelmed now...unless the ISO is two stops better across the board I'm not sure I'm fussed that it now goes to 102,000 or whatever it is. It was the rumour of 14fps that really had me going as I'm all about the speed. Quiet mode could be nice but it will be 1fps or something like that I'll bet.

But...this is good news really because it now means this christmas won't be an expensive one lol

Interested to see if the ISO really is much better though.

To be honest I already had my doubts with 14fps, such a speed would put one hell of a strain on the shutter curtains over the long term - a camera that is supposed to be an industrial workhorse. It will be nice if it does appear of course but not surprising to me in the least if it doesn't.

http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/1862/overview.html

Guess its official then!

FX format professional SLR with a highly sensitive 12.1 megapixel CMOS sensor, ISO range of 200 to 12,800 extendable by up to 3 stops, D-Movie, 9 fps continuous shooting and 51-point AF system. Redraws the boundaries for professional action photography.

Key Features

* 12.1 megapixel FX (full-frame) CMOS sensor with high signal-to-noise ratio, wide dynamic range and 12-channel readout.
* ISO 200 – 12800: extendable up to 102,400 (equivalent) with the Hi-3 setting and down to ISO 100 (equivalent) with the Lo-1 setting.
* 9fps consecutive shooting (11fps in DX Crop mode).
* D-Movie records high-definition (HD) movie clips in stereo sound (Compatible stereo microphone required). Features Edit start/stop and Save selected frame functions, as well as AF support in Tripod mode.
* Multi-CAM3500FX 51-point AF system: individually selectable or configurable in 9-point, 21-point and 51-point coverage settings.
* EXPEED image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb tonal gradation.
* 920,000 dot 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with wide, 170-degree viewing angle.
* Three Crop Modes: DX format 5:4 ratio and 1.2x. The DX crop mode can be automatically enabled when a DX lens is attached.
* In-camera RAW processing saves time in post-production by enabling JPEG compression, Size, White Balance, Exposure Compensation, Picture Control, Noise Reduction, Color space and Vignette Control image settings to be applied to RAW (NEF) files in the camera.
* Quiet shooting mode: perfect for discrete photography, the sound of the camera’s mirror return mechanism is noticeably reduced.
* Highly accurate, durable Kevlar/carbon fibre-composite shutter unit: standard rating of 300, 000 cycles, with a maximum shutter speed of 1/8,000 sec and flash synchronization at up to 1/250 sec.
* HDMI video output interface enables connection to high-definition video systems.
* Durable Magnesium alloy body built to withstand the rigors of the harshest of environments.
* Wireless LAN and Ethernet support via optional Wireless Transmitter WT-4.

Guess so that looks quite impresive

I was looking forward to the tp desk eating meet though

And an 85mm f3.5 VR for DX only.

Whoever is making lens decisions at Nikon should be sacked.

Indeed. Nikon are potentially in trouble here. I've heard many mutterings ( and I'm beginning to think the same ) that *IF* canon get the MkIV's right, there may be a swing back to Canon. I know a few pro togs who swapped to Nikon because of the D3, but kept all their Canon glass and a body. These guys are willing to jump back if the AF in the MkIV's have a substantial improvement.

We've been told for years that Glass is the most important, but Nikon seem to have gone deaf to that of late.

I don't think many D3 owners are going to be rushing to upgrade, personally rather underwelmed by the new model.

We've been told for years that Glass is the most important, but Nikon seem to have gone deaf to that of late.

I agree that a few new lenses would have been nice and I really did think a new 85 1.4 was coming. But it's not all bad - the new 70-200 is surely sign that Nikon are getting there. Albeit slowly.

I agree that a few new lenses would have been nice and I really did think a new 85 1.4 was coming. But it's not all bad - the new 70-200 is surely sign that Nikon are getting there. Albeit slowly.

Not really as it's a Pro lens the Pro's didn't need. :LOL:

Forums were buzzing with "oh the 70-200 is terrible it's soft at the edges and vignettes" but I never heard a real pro mention that it was an issue.

Nikon should be filling the gaps in their line-up before replacing lenses with minor improvements IMHO.

Back