Nikon D3xxx owners thread

Ok ,im getting a strong urge to buy a 35mm 1.8 again.had a few and found them pretty good.
If i do buy it it means i will have to get rid of my 18-55 as i made an oath to own only one lens at a time.
I like the idea of being limited to one focal length but would welcome other peoples input.
Thanks

Ive got a 35mm f/1.8G that i barely use, thought i would have made more use of it. I certainly need to try.
I could do with having a good clearout tbh. 18-55 and 55-300 need to go.

I would just leave them in the cupboard, but there is no way they will ever get used with a 16-85 and 70-200.
I very rarely need that 300mm length and im considering buying a 300mm f4 PF lens which will be amazing. the 55-300 is pretty weak at the long end. not to mention f/6.3

High f. numbers are sometimes overrated. THIS was taken with my nikon 18-200 at 200 (300 equivalent) @ f.5.6. the biggest Aperture possible. Nice blurred BG, a cemetery, it's all about subject distance from the BG.

Ok ,im getting a strong urge to buy a 35mm 1.8 again.had a few and found them pretty good.
If i do buy it it means i will have to get rid of my 18-55 as i made an oath to own only one lens at a time.
I like the idea of being limited to one focal length but would welcome other peoples input.
Thanks

Picked one up on here for my wife's D3100 for a 100 of your earth notes, perfect condition (but no box). I've stuck it on her camera and not let here take it off. Great lens for the money, and noticable sharper than that kit affair. Not sure though if its quite wide enough for a single lens ownership, I prefer the 23mm of the X100 (as you do!!), but its a great lens anyway.

I'd keep the 18-55, its not worth a lot, as others have said put it in a cupboard!

................................... I made an oath to own only one lens at a time.
Thanks

One lens at a time yes, I never leave home with more that one. But I like 3, 4 or 5 lenses at home, then I get in the mood for doing a certain type of photography and kit up with the appropriate lens, and I'm off.

Last edited:
Thanks
I wonder if you will ever get a camera, and or lens combination that you will be happy with? :)
I have not used my 35mm 1.8 for a while now, as I like getting in close when taking photos of the family. I keep chopping and changing between my cameras at the moment.

I wonder if you will ever get a camera, and or lens combination that you will be happy with? :)
I have not used my 35mm 1.8 for a while now, as I like getting in close when taking photos of the family. I keep chopping and changing between my cameras at the moment.
I like t he. X000 seried but don’t tell Mr Perceptive because he’s not that perceptive :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I like t he. X000 seried but don’t tell Mr Perceptive because he’s not that perceptive :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:
LOL :)

I just wish the kit lens on my D3300 was a little smaller, the lens can feel a little sticky out when walking about with it. But I do forgive it, seeing the IQ is so good. :)

Last edited:
In all seriousness, the 35mm was the first (re)purchase for me. I loved it when I had the d3100/d7000 and still love it on the d500

Also loved the x100t but it had to go to fund the d500 :(

Agreed,the 35mm is just right in comparison sizw=e wise
I regret selling my old sigma 17-50 kit lens, cracking little lens. Took lovely photos, and so compact and neat. No bloomin idea why I sold it. Come to think of it, I have no idea why I ever sold most of my stuff. :(

In all seriousness, the 35mm was the first (re)purchase for me. I loved it when I had the d3100/d7000 and still love it on the d500

Also loved the x100t but it had to go to fund the d500 :(
Seems like a good few of us, have not got the right balance yet. I am still looking at cameras and lenses, and wondering what to change. :)

I have a bit of a mix..a rx100 mk2 which rarely sees the light of day despite being fantastic - no desire to use it. Still have the e-m1 and a panny 12-32 for travel, not the quickest lens but ( usually ) fits in a jacket pocket so it's handy and I have a soft spot for m43. Back with Nikon and the d500...overkill maybe but next year's Motorsport season will tell

I really wish the e-m1.2 was more of a step up from the mk1 and I wouldn't have jumped ship. But I do love the OVF, the shallow(er) DoF, the lack of noise with high ISO

Compromises everywhere of course...and as I hobbiest there's only so much I can justify

Goinq completely jpegs so would welcome any tips on the menu settings for them,
Usually raw so not really explored the jpeg settings eg lighting white balance and whatever else you need to setup in the menu for joegs
Thanks for any help

Goinq completely jpegs so would welcome any tips on the menu settings for them,
Usually raw so not really explored the jpeg settings eg lighting white balance and whatever else you need to setup in the menu for joegs
Thanks for any help

You really are clutching at straws... first fixed lens, now JPG only......just give in and buy that X100 and put us all out of our misery..... :D:D:D

I just use the standard camera jpeg settings - I haven't even shot RAW as my LR is only 5.7 so doesn't handle the d500 files

Assuming your D3*** is like my D5*** put everything on auto. The only time you might have a WB prob is when shooting under a tinted glass roof (a shopping centre?), but that can be corrected in PP.

The one thing you must do, as it can't be corrected, is view your shots on camera in "Highlights" .... you see the blinkies, then reshoot in -EV. Underexposed shots can be corrected, blown highlights can't.

Assuming your D3*** is like my D5*** put everything on auto. The only time you might have a WB prob is when shooting under a tinted glass roof (a shopping centre?), but that can be corrected in PP.

The one thing you must do, as it can't be corrected, is view your shots on camera in "Highlights" .... you see the blinkies, then reshoot in -EV. Underexposed shots can be corrected, blown highlights can't.
Food do you mean set shooting mode to auto?

Food do you mean set shooting mode to auto?

No .... I shoot 95% of the time in A mode, I find aperture the single most fascinating thing about photography.

Speed in fun too .... here's a pic of a Cooper S zooming around Hammersmith Broadway yesterday ....

VRobRP9uFn4Zj65Gn3cUIH9WlHerOLuKnnNz1Ggqx0bV4oilsWvdPb6AXNweNKCvKDnJyBS5EO2Y9w3jgRRtP1TQC6hJBlR6zdo2YNMDGkAibdYYPnkMNmRCITcBptuGMEDSTriqv-1llL0kWzKbh7nQVJthCn3gc7bxq2jGJc_817oXDOY9QmazFpIzm1xLguh9GYhZ7RviEe41on9in7S30sY8MB2pH2NMl-SrhKExy6rOI_rIyLqH0uSwHKDGRWqQaFZSZD_mRcFblBp7ni-ccAryX4ZRBD6RW9nAAlOVaYjkGjtyowh1v5MILa3B1QW_U6jTvlRWESgVytgDzzv0k0tF6vpQJ3ADzkU49xgJPeTwa0E6OErmwT598eZN7U2oQsj3kYCDbTQZmWFkoi3EUP9z6MrJafC0pFfqNBi0jKCZU31mGFWGtxYKvkTSYQvP8mOtxdVbNBYUV5gX0eNzP3yo-o3j0mgrcAZzNCnJ6RaCPqIhgOdkiX1h39LxlcS0JeXsZqA9shnhwdvougZmyP_11X1L1WMGOY-rMvaZE7YjLRL8touAy0sHICYivZ_O3Wx_wIsoE-5v35vR9UXLohS6Drn4FHNU_ZMP6w=w1189-h605-no

Back