Nikon D3xxx owners thread

So it must mean if a lens is slower than 5.6 you cant use it,but if it is 5.6 or faster you can use it at say F8

DSC_0021 by Chris Andrew, on Flickr
woke up to this

That's ok, only another 15 sleeps and you can wake up to:-

X100-Fancy-Box.jpg

Ha ha :D:D:D:D:D

(That's assuming you buy one in the meantime, and wrap it up, and put it under your tree/in your stocking* ---- *delete where applicable!)

I’ve remembered an annoyance with the D3300 (compared with D750)... when you turn it off and back on again, it remembers the exposure compensation you’ve set. Ahhhhgggggg took me half an hour to work out why everything was under exposed by 2.7ev.

Anyway got there in the end...

On the D3300

When looking through the viewfinder, if Ex Comp has been set, it displays that fact. In bottom of the viewfinder it shows as -0+ and if it is set to plus or minus and by how much. The symbol -0+ does not show in viewfinder, if Ex Comp has not been set.

Not sure if it the same on the D3200, I would assume so.

Last edited:
Is that your back garden? Looks lovely. :)
Thanks John yes,it backs onto the old Great central railway line,i was born around the corner and we used to play on there all the while,its now a cycle walkway and nature reserve with the canal and river just beyond.
Allotments 5 houses away,paradise for my 9 cats

On the D3300

When looking through the viewfinder, if Ex Comp has been set, it displays that fact. In bottom of the viewfinder it shows as -0+ and if it is set to plus or minus and by how much. The symbol -0+ does not show in viewfinder, if Ex Comp has not been set.

Yes this is the case but easy to miss if in a hurry to get a quick shot,but at least it is there like you say

On the D3300

There's a little button within a few mm of the shutter button which is very handy ;)

Last edited:
On the D3300... When looking through the viewfinder, if Ex Comp has been set, it displays that fact. In bottom of the viewfinder it shows as -0+ and if it is set to plus or minus and by how much. The symbol -0+ does not show in viewfinder, if Ex Comp has not been set.
Yeah... I was just being daft and rushing! Was out on walk and trying to take quick snaps before either the dogs or my partner got bored and started chasing the sheep (Not that the dogs would really chase sheep). Also as I said I got used to the D750 resetting it when turning off and on again... I’ve been cosseted!

Yeah... I was just being daft and rushing! Was out on walk and trying to take quick snaps before either the dogs or my partner got bored and started chasing the sheep (Not that the dogs would really chase sheep). Also as I said I got used to the D750 resetting it when turning off and on again... I’ve been cosseted!
Yes see Jon,Eloise was in a rush,i remember Tony Northrup on the d3300 youtube video making the same mistake

There's a little button within a few mm of the shutter button which is very handy ;)
Yes, I know I use it often. Pity it was not a dedicated exposure comp button, with dials on. But hey ho, it is only a D3300. :)

Thanks John yes,it backs onto the old Great central railway line,i was born around the corner and we used to play on there all the while,its now a cycle walkway and nature reserve with the canal and river just beyond.
It sounds like you live around the corner from me...

Sounds similar to where I live, but without the railway. I would love to live near an old railway. There is a lovely canal at the back of ours, plenty of photo opportunities of snapping the canal boats. Loads of woods in walking distance. Only have one cat and one dog. Loads of friendly cats about though. Oh and plenty of lovely wildlife about. We do both seem to be very happy with were we live. :)

Quick question, does anyone prefer any of the bigger ranged kit lenses over the 18-55mm?
eg. 18-105 or 18-140 etc...
Ive had the 18-105 or was it the 18-140,came with a d7200 think it was the 105,i liked it a lot and Thom Hogan likes it too.i would certainly have another
if it came to it.

For no other reason, other than I was unable to sleep and bored.

I set the D3300 to JPEG fine and image size to small 6.0M set at ISO 3200. Took photos around the living room kitchen and garden. Images straight out of the camera are very good. Very impressed with this basic little camera. :)

Last edited:
Yes ive been trying jpeg only but fine and really dont think im going to bother with raw much now
I was thinking of shifting to JPEG for snapping about, but go to RAW for anything meaningful such as family events and other such doos. The photo may be of a special event, or good photo of someone special etc. I would like to keep the RAW file just in case I want to refer to it at a later date, to redo another image from it.

Last edited:
Quick question, does anyone prefer any of the bigger ranged kit lenses over the 18-55mm?
eg. 18-105 or 18-140 etc...

Only lens i use in that area is the 16-85. Mostly use it as a travel lens, but it covers most 'point and shoot' options pretty well.
Certainly an improvement over the 18-55.
Everything else i use the 70-200 f/2.8 although its heavy - and not a kit lens.
I have a 35mm prime for a few low light shots of mates at parties / pubs too.

Last edited:
Back