Nikon D3xxx owners thread

I'm so glad I found this thread.

I currently own the D3000 and when I heard about the D3100, I was going to flog my 3k on eBay and purchase the 31k.

However, as you do... You begin to question yourself, and I'm wondering if not being able to plug in an external microphone for the video would annoy me... What's the standard mic like?

The D3100 is a lot better than the D3000 what with the improved MP & Sensor.

However I have been thinking about the D7000, it's out of my budget but could be something I save for over a few months - but then I question myself again... Why don't I get the D3100 first, totally master the manual settings with that, and then purchase more of a top end camera.
:crying:

Another D3100 owner checking in to the thread, I just read back over the thread and feel I should reply to the question about capturing adorable fast moving objects.

Turn the dial to Sport mode (it's much better then the children option). I don't think there is any shame in using the camera's pre-set functions if you are in a hurry and may miss a shot.

catchemall by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

D3100 sport mode.

The day was too bright so the blown everything is down to lack of post/user error.

Interesting - Would this support my DX lenses?

Yes, it's a DX camera.
What is making you want to upgrade? I have the D3100 and recently bought the D7000 - focus for sports (being able to adjust tracking, improved tracking across frame, more responsiveness) was the biggest driver - though the improvements in IQ and handling are nice, they're not that big (to me). I'd have been happy with slotting the AF module into the D3100.

If the picture quality is the biggest issue for you and you're otherwise happy with the D3000, I'd say go for the D5100 or D3100, depending on budget. If you're after things that make taking the picture easier (which is the real difference between the entry and more advanced cameras IMO) then the D7000 would be the way to go.

Can I join the D3100 club? I've just got the standard 18-55mm kit lens. Loving the camera, I upgraded from a Fuji S6500fd and what a difference. I've wasted the camera for the first few months, but last week I made a concerted effort to learn how to use it properly. I can definitely see the results in the pictures. Do you find when you begin using the camera 'properly' that you are more selective about the pictures you keep, rather than keeping all the shots?

Pictures taken with my camera - within the last week, so manually set.

Here and here

Last edited:
I previously owned a Sony a200 for a year. Even though everyone sais the D3100 is a beginner camera, I view it as a step up from my last camera. The image quality is much better and the low light handling is much much better.

So happy to read this, just sold my a200 to fund getting into the nikon system.

I have been deliberating buying the d90 but can't really afford it, so I decided on the d3100 and have money left over to travel and actually get to use the camera! Also some moolah for a 35mm 1.8 prime ;)

Well, I've just gone and bought the d3100 from jessops and expect it tomorrow, so you can count me in the club! :)

Add me to the list. It's a grrrrreat camera! Had it for a few weeks now and am very pleased with it's performance. :cool:

Will want to purchase the add-on remote shutter control for getting those night time lightning shots, though. Helps that I even get to see a lightning storm in the first place but that's really another matter for another time. :D

I'm really getting to grips with video on the 3100 now. The continuous focus is a waste of time for anything serious, as it well, continuously re focuses. Far better to either put live view focus into manual or single, focus mode and use a relatively high aperture.

Note to Ian DJ - the infra red remote that works with the D40/D60 will not work with the D3100 - I use the self timer instead.

After reading some Jessops horror stories online, I'm hoping my camera arrives today!

To be fair, you are also putting your camera in the hands of the British postal/delivery service....

I too have one of these, only had it a week or so, so still getting the hang of using it! seems pretty nice so far though!

I should have mine tomorrow or Monday. Can't wait.

My thoughts are already turning to all the nice Nikon lenses I sold a while back :-( Still I have something to build up again, and be more sensible this time around.

Another d3100 user here. purchased my camera at the end of march this year an i am finding it an awesome unit! i recently upgraded from the stock 18-55 lens to a 10-105.

here are some shots with the old and new lens.
18-105 VR
5693836984_06677d0966_z.jpg

5693265643_01592cbcb0_z.jpg

18-55 VR (apologies, uploaded with photobucket so you will see a quality decrease)
80ce0360.jpg

Dubai2011978.jpg

Dubai2011458.jpg

Last edited:
i was thinking of going for a prime lens and had a quick look that this 50MM F1.8D AF LENS here: http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Camera-Lenses/buy-NIKON-50MM-F1.8D-AF-Camera-lens/663425

is anyone using this lens with their d3100? is it practical to use this lens without a tripod due to camera shake?
if anyone is using this lens, pics are more than welcome!! (y)

Don't worry about the lack of VR on any lens, above 1/125 and there is no difference, for long exposures you would be using a tripod and you are supposed to turn VR off with them anyway.

You know it won't autofocus?

Don't worry about the lack of VR on any lens, above 1/125 and there is no difference, for long exposures you would be using a tripod and you are supposed to turn VR off with them anyway.

You know it won't autofocus?

i forgot to mention the autofucus, is that a major issue and if so, should i go for a 35mm f/1.8 AF-s instead?

I would go for the 35mm AF-S or wait for the new 50mm AF-S to come out.

Another very happy D3100 user here. I bought mine body only and just have my trusty AF-S 16-85mm with it. Very small, light and portable and pleased with the results so far :).

Morning fellow D3100'ers,

Question for you.

When in Apeture Priority, is there a way of setting up a quick shortcut to change the minimum auto shutter speed? Rather than having to go into the menu all the time and playing with 'ISO Sensitivity Settings'.

With 'Auto ISO' switched off you can hold Fn down and turn the wheel to change the ISO, but I was wondering if there was anyway of doing something similar with Minimum Shutter speed?

Same in Manual Mode I suppose, just changing the actual shutter speed (rather than auto/min shutter speed)........ or is this just one of the limitations of not having that 2nd wheel on the body?

Last edited:
Okay, so I looked in the manual... :clap:

Full Manual Mode.
Dial = Shutter Speed
Fn + Dial = ISO
Exp +/- = Aperture

But i'm no closer to finding out if I can do what I want to do in Aperture Priority. I suppose I want a halfway house between "A" and Manual.

I want to keep Auto ISO so the camera chooses for me, but I want to be able to quickly change the minimum shutter speed used in "A" rather than having to go into the menu and change it...... unless someone can come up with something, I don't think there is anyway?

Aperture Mode
Dial = Aperture
Fn + Dial = ISO (when not in AUTO ISO)
Exp +/- = Exposure Comp

No sign of being able to change shutter speed with visiting the menu.

Anyone?

For full listing and reference of A, S and M, heres....

Shutter Priority
Dial = Shutter Speed
Fn + Dial = ISO
Exp +/- = Exposure Comp

Last edited:
On longer lenses VR can make a difference right up to 1/500 sec. On shorter ones, less so :).

I can't see a way to change min shutter speed. without going in the menu. But if you're wanting to change it that often, I can't help thinking you'd be better off either in full manual or using shutter priority and exposure compensation to finetune the aperture.

The only time I've ever used Auto ISO is in manual mode, where I was going to be controlling shutter and aperture and simply didn't care about ISO so thought I'd try it out. Even then, it wasn't that different from selecting it myself so I've not bothered since. There are times when using manual really is the way to go, this might be one of them.

You know what Ausemmao,

I never even thought of using Auto-ISO in Manual Mode..... I 'assumed' (wrongly) that it was FULL MANUAL all the way and everything had to be chosen manually...... I didn't realise you could do Auto-ISO. :wacky:

I essence, that is exactly what i'm after..... Full Manual with Auto ISO could well be the future. :clap:

Thanks for the heads-up...... appreciated. (y)

As a small aside, am I right in thinking that higher end models have the 2nd jog dial to allow direct control of shutter/aperture/ISO instead of hitting combo's of buttons like on the D3100?

I don't think they're quite explicit in mentioning auto ISO is available in manual, so that's probably why.

On the D7000 and up you get the second jog dial on the front of the grip so you have SS and aperture within reach instantly. Then there are various extra buttons that you press and hold, that then let you alter the setting - so if I hit the AF button, I can change between number of points with one wheel, and mode with the other. They're nice, but not that essential for me. The info menu on the D3100 is really well thought out, the SS/aperture toggle was right bu your index finger, my info menu was always on the AF mode anyway, and I had the ISO set to the Fn button (which incidentally is in a better place on the D3100 than D7000. You can fix that, but it ends up wasting an Fn button) :shrug:

I don't find I change anything else often enough to care.

Another D3100 owner here. Bought mine in Feb, very pleased with it. Using it with the 35mm 1.8, the kit zoom has gone into storage more or less.

Do any of you you find your SD cover is a really terrible fit? Mine is such a poor fit it rattles about when you handle the camera, feels really cheap and also like it's about to pop open at every opportunity. I'm actually sending it back under the distance selling regs - not sure if I should get another d3100 in the hope the cover fits snugly or not.

It would be great if you could let me know.

Do any of you you find your SD cover is a really terrible fit? Mine is such a poor fit it rattles about when you handle the camera, feels really cheap and also like it's about to pop open at every opportunity. I'm actually sending it back under the distance selling regs - not sure if I should get another d3100 in the hope the cover fits snugly or not.

It would be great if you could let me know.

Mine seems fine tbh as does the build quality overall, except for the flimsy GPS/USB etc cover

Last edited:
Victory is mine! I have managed to find a 35mm 1.8 at a reasonable price \o/

Let the waiting for the postman along with my dog begin!

Hi Everyone :)
Just thought I'd do a heads up thread for those of us that have a D3000? I know there are lots of posts about people asking if its a good beginners dslr etc, but there isnt actually an owners thread (that I could find anyways!).

I am waiting (impatiently!) for mine to arrive. I've bought it off a friend up north who is mailing me the camera and kit lens and some other bits to me! It was a really good deal of £200 so I couldnt resist! Gives me some cash for perhaps another lens!

So, who else uses the d3000? How are you getting on with it?

My camera arrived today! I am a very happy d3000 owner!!

Vaguely got a clue how to work it, but I've got the manual, a book, youtube and you lot to pester!

So far I think I've managed to work out how to play with the settings to take a picture of my shampoo bottle LOL.

Tomorrow hopefully i'll get time to play outside :D

Hi Sarah, glad to hear from another D3000 owner :)

I use mine as a backup/second body to my D90, and it really isn't a bad kit at all. The 18-55mm kit lens is very well regarded and correctly so, sharp throughout its range imho.

Compared to my gripped D90 though, it really does feel tiny in my hands!!! But that's not necessarily a bad thing as it's my 'take-anywhere' body

Though I'd add my name to this club - got my D3100 in December

Am currently looking at a Nikon 70-300 VR ( was looking at the Tamron 18-270 PZD but have been advised not to for the sake of IQ and AF speed )..

Also looking at remotes, 10 stop filters etc etc etc...oh the money....

Though I'd add my name to this club - got my D3100 in December

Am currently looking at a Nikon 70-300 VR ( was looking at the Tamron 18-270 PZD but have been advised not to for the sake of IQ and AF speed )..

Also looking at remotes, 10 stop filters etc etc etc...oh the money....

snap mate, Im currently in the same boat looking for a 70-300. My wages just dont seem to be going as far as they used to :LOL:

Back