Nikon D3xxx owners thread

Menu >> white balance >> preset manual >> measure >> follow directions (take photo of something white). This setting will then be stored under 'PRE' wb until you change it.

My D3100 arrived yesterday. £330 delivered off ebay, looks brand new and <2500 actuations, can't wait to use it this weekend, hopefully my bag and memory cards arrive today.

I had a Canon 450D last year but replaced it with a Nikon P300 as I thought it was more portable and easier to carry round. It just wasn't the same, back to a dslr for me.

Quite tempted to get a D3100.

Can get one with lens kit, 18-55mm for £380 new.

Had my Lumix a while, as an introduction to photography, and would like a first DSLR.

The D3100 seems to be very highly thought of.

I have the D3100 for nearly six months and I am still amazed at the quality of image you can get from this camera. To anyone who gets one I would definately get the Nikon 35mm f1.8 AFS as your first additional lens, wonderful combo which you will get a lot of enjoyment from....

Katchit said:
Quite tempted to get a D3100.

Can get one with lens kit, 18-55mm for £380 new.

Had my Lumix a while, as an introduction to photography, and would like a first DSLR.

The D3100 seems to be very highly thought of.

I came from a old Panasonic and the difference is night and day for me. Granted, there was (and still is a year on) a learning curve, but power is nothing without control. :cool:

Transcend Class 10 8GB, bought from Amazon - been using it for over a year with no problems

Got my d3100 just before the weekend, having no clue about photography at all I have learnt quite a bit in just 5 days with the info screens and messing about with settings and just taking pics, I would recommend this camera for any beginner

Does anyone think it would be worth waiting till after this apparent Nikon press conference tomorrow to buy a D3100, in case the announce a D3200 as it might drop the price on the 3100?

Does anyone think it would be worth waiting till after this apparent Nikon press conference tomorrow to buy a D3100, in case the announce a D3200 as it might drop the price on the 3100?

can't hurt to wait and see. i don't think that the d3200 release would cause an increase in the price of the d3100!

what i can tell you though is this, if this is your first dslr, you will not be dissappointed by the a d3100

Upgrading from a Fiji Finepix S3200 so I just bought a D3100 kit from London Camera Exchange and bought a zoom lens to go with it,hopefully should arrive during the week.Be prepared for loads of questions having never owned a proper camera before :D

I have a question about AF modes on the D3100.

I've always been manually changing between AF-S and AF-C depending on whether i'm shooting something static (AF-S) or a moving target (AF-C).

But this can be a pain if I need to take a shot quickly and i'm in the wrong mode.

My question is how good is AF-A in making its mind up what you are shooting and choosing AF-S or AF-C automatically?

Do people use AF-A and what are your experiences?

I've always been manually changing between AF-S and AF-C depending on whether i'm shooting something static (AF-S) or a moving target (AF-C).

But this can be a pain if I need to take a shot quickly and i'm in the wrong mode.

My question is how good is AF-A in making its mind up what you are shooting and choosing AF-S or AF-C automatically?

Hi, I used to always use AF-S but recently tried AF-C. I was told that there was no problem using AF-C for static as well as moving targets - ie, I could just leave the camera set to AF-C for everything.

Cheers,
John

hi i am getting my nikon D3000 tomo can not wait it is my first camera so will be taking some pic any tips on what i need to set it on to take baby pics ? as never had a camera like this before lol i am starting a course in a couple of weeks so looking forward to that

hi i am getting my nikon D3000 tomo can not wait it is my first camera so will be taking some pic any tips on what i need to set it on to take baby pics ? as never had a camera like this before lol i am starting a course in a couple of weeks so looking forward to that

In the short term, I think there is a baby mode on the main dial. Just stick it on that. Once you have done your course, you might want to start experimenting with some for the manual modes.

In the short term, I think there is a baby mode on the main dial. Just stick it on that. Once you have done your course, you might want to start experimenting with some for the manual modes.

ok thank you very much
what do yous think of this for my first lighting
p762997840-5.jpg

Hi all

Has anyone had experience with the sigma 70-200 on this camera.

Also could anyone explain what lenses can be used with it as I understand it doesn't have a Built in motor.

Sample shots would be appreciated

Thanks

Dan

JSG said:
Hi, I used to always use AF-S but recently tried AF-C. I was told that there was no problem using AF-C for static as well as moving targets - ie, I could just leave the camera set to AF-C for everything.

Cheers,
John

I was using AF-C at an airshow last weekend for most of the day and I sucks battery power (although that may depend on the lens). I have a battery grip fitted and all batteries were fully charged but only lasted half a day per set (2 sets of 2 batteries used for the day).

I guess in short, yes you can use it for everything but beware of your battery getting drained faster than your probably used to

i always use AF-A and usually in 3D tracking. i grew up with split-image focusing when i was little, so my parents and now me always focus by pointing the camera at the object, then frame. even with face detect on my parent's bridge camera, they still do focus-frame. so this 3D tracking fits what im used to perfectly.

you could restrict AF mode by selecting auto focus methods. in large area mode it's AF-S, in 3D and dynamic area mode (the one with motorbike picture) it's AF-C.

got my D3100 with kit lens for £300 a few months ago, before D3200 announcement. :D only had 800 shutter releases. i was well pleased.

got 18-55mm kit lens, 55-200mm cheap telephoto, 35mm f1.8G low light. very happy with my setup :D

Upgrading from a Fiji Finepix S3200 so I just bought a D3100 kit from London Camera Exchange and bought a zoom lens to go with it,hopefully should arrive during the week.Be prepared for loads of questions having never owned a proper camera before :D

you are going to love it. i upgraded from a finepix s2500hd to a d3100 and kit lens 4 weeks ago. i'll tell you something its bloody addictive, iv already bought a 35mm prime and sb-600 speedlite. looking back at the pics i took with my fuji i think to myself "i cant believe i didnt make the leap earlier" the photos come out stunning to say the least.

D3100... Me too, as of last month. DX reach with my 300/4, Low-light standard with my 35/1.8. More buttons than the V1, less weight than the D700. Smaller than the D5100 where it counts - in my hand - and great image quality already using 6400 with no issues other than a smattering of grain.

Liking the camera very much at the moment, and certainly not just the beginners tool it's painted as. The control layout is almost perfect for me: ISO on the Fn button, AF-on with the easy-to-find back button (unlike the 2 similar buttons of the D5100) and the usual Aperture/compensation with the wheel and +|- controls. Everything I need, right there. Autofocus is fast enough for everything (I only use centre point AF) and the shutter is lovely and muted, unlike the machine gun of the D700.

So, doesn't feel like a downgrade. Hey, it freed up cash to splash on glass. What's not to like?

Got the D3100 a couple of weeks ago with 18-55mm VR plus 55-200mm (not VR) as a kit. Replaces an Olympus E-410.

Really impressed with the improved image quality

I use an Optech Pro neck strap, and also have the Optech wrist strap - easy to swap depending on the occasion.

Very new to photography and opted for the Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm VR lens, a Tamron 70-300 nonVR, got a few other bits and pieces buying it second hand but I think they'll be popped somewhere safe till I know more about taking photos.

Only having it for 2days i Need to get the hang of most things like settings and also photoshop too, but whilst snapping away with different settings I quite like the look on my daughters face on this, so had a play on PS CS5

My Angel Delight by npinks, on Flickr

Any way, hope to read some good advice and improve ....... I think I need it:LOL:

Last edited:
Hi after some advice on a bag
Decided in a low pro toploader in blue
Going to keep te standard lens at the moment
Would it for it a toploader zoom 45

Or would I be better going for a toploader zoom 50 which is 3 cms longer then the toploader 45 which looks so tiny in pictures checking dimensions of the camera (3200 which is same size as 3100 ) it seems to but I would just like some advice from a owner who has a toploader 45 and if it will fit a 3100/3200 in or should I just pay the extra fiver and get the slightly bigger one but space will be a premium in my suitcase on holiday

Thanks in advance

Got my toploader 50 delivered today from amazon at a great price
Just waiting on the d3200 now

hi
has anyone purchased a battery grip for theirs yet. If so how do you find it feels.
thanks

Hi,

I bought my D3100 a year ago yesterday and love it. My daughter liked it so much she now has one too

hi
has anyone purchased a battery grip for theirs yet. If so how do you find it feels.
thanks

I'm personally of the opinion that a battery grip undoes everything the D3100 stands for - discreet, lightweight etc. I'd advise anyone looking at battery grips to spend their money on an official D3100 spare battery and keep it in the bottom of the camera bag!

Anyway, still loving mine and don't miss the heavy stuff at all. It took me a while - and working my way through the mirrorless systems to no avail - to figure out I wanted SLR speed and control but without the weight of the D700 or even D7000. It's the perfect mirrored mirrorless competitior!

I&#8217;m new to this forum and as I&#8217;m thinking about buying a D3100, this thread is really interesting.

I&#8217;d welcome some advice from existing, more experienced users on whether I should simply start off with the kit lens, or whether a different lens would better suit me? I don&#8217;t want to by lugging loads of stuff around with me, and have to forever be swapping lenses (in the unlikely event I could afford more than one!). Not at the start, anyway, as this will be the first non-point-and-shoot camera I&#8217;ve owned for many years.

Most of my photography is of our cats and dogs, nature, close ups of flowers etc, holiday &#8216;scenes&#8217; etc.

What lens would you suggest I start off with?

Really appreciate any thoughts you have.

If I had free reign to buy you a camera [and I did just that for a friend last saturday] I'd go with D3100 body only [£319], a Tamron 18-200 non-VC do-it-all cheapie [£179] and a 35mm f/1.8 Nikkor [£150].

That way you have every common useful focal length covered and a very sweet low light standard prime for under £700. Use the 18-200 for everything well lit - to develop your eye, your preferred sweet spot focal length and your future purchases.

That kit can take awesome shots - just do a flickr search for that combination and order the results by interestingness...

That sounds good, Dan. Can I be really ignorant and ask what the main differences are betgween the lenses, and what I would shoot with which? I see your comment about using the Tamron for well lit compositions - but what about the Nikkor?

Hope I don't sound too stupid!

silure130 said:
hi
thanks

I have a third party grip, at the time Nikon didn't make one (do they now...does it do anything different?).

For me it makes it much more comfortable as it increases the size of the hand grip and also means I can use a cheaper p7000 battery as the second. I take it off when I want the camera smaller or lighter but it's ideal when you want the added comfort or you need more battery power, like when using my 150-500 all day at an airshow.

Ian

TheMole said:
That sounds good, Dan. Can I be really ignorant and ask what the main differences are betgween the lenses, and what I would shoot with which? I see your comment about using the Tamron for well lit compositions - but what about the Nikkor?

Hope I don't sound too stupid!

The 35mm f1.8 is a super lens, very nice image quality and good in low light. The 18-200 (if anything like my sigma 18-250) needs better light to get any images with as its max aperture is around 5.6, also the images are not nearly as sharp but it's a nice one to have as a do it all... Although if you can get a second hand Nikon 18-200 it might be better as I have read that they have much better image quality.

Hth

The 35mm f1.8 is a super lens, very nice image quality and good in low light. The 18-200 (if anything like my sigma 18-250) needs better light to get any images with as its max aperture is around 5.6, also the images are not nearly as sharp but it's a nice one to have as a do it all... Although if you can get a second hand Nikon 18-200 it might be better as I have read that they have much better image quality.

Hth

Thanks Biggles for the info on f1.8mm. I've so much to learn!
The Nikon lens looks a bit more ££££££ even second-hand, and I don't want to spend loads at the outset - want to feel my way and spend sensibly, if you know what I mean!

I'm new to DSLR's, coming from a few crappy compacts & an Iphone.
I arrived Tuesday, but my memory card only came today so hav'nt had a chance to play with it yet.
It came with the standard lens, any tips for a complete newbie to begin with this camera?
Mainly to start with i'll be looking at taking photo's of my toddler, any tips / settings?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy my first DSLR as a step up from point and shoots. My Dad bought a D5100 last week as his first entry but I can't quite stretch my budget to that so the D3100 it is for me.

I'm pretty set on the D3100 body but I'm just really confused about which lenses I will want/need. I can see myself shooting sports, macro and everyday life as well as wanting to catalogue my large vinyl record collection.

I haven't really got a extra to spend so I'm stuck trying to work out whether to get the 18-55 and 55-200 lens kit, just the 18-55 and get another lens or to just get the body and buy 2 lenses.

My budget for this is about £450 and I've found a shop that sells the body for £275, the body and 18-55 lens for £335 and for the body and 2 lenses £435 to give you an idea of my budget.

As you can see I'm quite confused so any help will be great and I'm sure I will be sticking around,

Cheers,

Ben

Back