Nikon D3xxx owners thread

It's not really daft, it's true. A jpeg image will print just aswell as a raw shot. And it will edit pretty well too.

Not aure why you say they're few and far between, a jpeg will be just fine for 90% of images.

Well thats your opinion. But youve missed the point he said SMALL jpeg.

And for landscape images a jpeg image will always be 2nd best to raw. Reduced chance of banding, better highlight/shadow detail. If you dont NEED to shoot jpeg for example photo journalist or sports tog why do it. Its like never goin into top gear in your car. You have the capability so do so.

Just because something is alright for the job doesnt mean its the correct tool to use. An iphone will be fine to use to take shots but you wouldn't sell your slr

Last edited:
Hello

Looking for a suitable L bracket for my d3100 does anyone use one on here? Cannot seem to find one that's specifically made for it or is universal the only option?

Kellett

Right guys I know my wife has brought me a Yongnuo YN-565EX Flash for me Xmas (as it's all I've asked for). It's an upgrade for the sb400 I've got but I'm also thinking bout getting a trigger to use the 565 off camera. But I'm not use if I need one, will the d3100 trigger this flash/anyone got this set up??

I'm not familiar with this flash, does it have an optical trigger or slave mode? I.e. can you set it so it flashes when it sees another flash? In that case, yes you should be able to trigger it with the onboard flash.

To trigger flash off camera, you will need a set of triggers. I have a set of yongnuo wireless ones, which also work nicely as a camera remote.

Hope this helps.

Im pretty sure the YN565EX does have an optical slave S1 and S2 and so will work in manual mode when it sees another flash go off. Unfortunately the D3100 does not have a commander mode for the inbuilt flash so to use it in TTL off camera you will need a set of triggers as above

Finally got my hands on a nice sb600 so looking forwards to having a play with this :)

Any of you guys still about / has everyone upgraded haha..

Hoping to dedicate a bit of time to learn how to utilise this flash for some nice pet shots :)

Hey guys, I see it's been a while since anyone posted in here but as its the right thread for my camera I thought I'd ask:

I was in London last weekend and whilst trying to photograph tower bridge it became very apparent that I need a tripod. As I'm still relatively new to photography, what tripod would you recommend? I don't have a massive budget and my biggest lens is my sigma 70-300.

Thanks, I hope someone can help

I realised after i had took some photos of the squirrel i hadn't checked the iso, it was 1600 and i should and could have gone a lot lot lower, another cockup and learning process :)

Sorry Chris can't comment on the D3300-3400 as I only have the D3100
like the 1st photo looks like he checking its all clear

I have a d500 but also have the 70-300 af-p. I agree with you about the lens, for the money it takes nice, sharp images.

Hi Peter
yes I'm pleased with it and its quick to focus on the D3300 so on your D500 should be even better

The grandkids came to visit the other day, I got the D3300 and kit lens out. Some lovely photos with lovely colour tones. I really should have had the 35mm lens on, but the kit lens was already on the body.

I realised after i had took some photos of the squirrel i hadn't checked the iso, it was 1600 and i should and could have gone a lot lot lower, another cockup and learning process :)
Must admit, I had mine on very high ISO the other day. Something that I sometimes forget to check :).

I was just looking at some of my images, that I accidently shot at high ISO and they are still pretty good. While they may not have as good tones etc that could have been gotten at much lower ISO, at least the images have not fallen apart.

ok AF is for full frame but work oak on DX bodies
the 70-300 comes in both AF and DX
the newer 70-300 AFP lens is very good but only works on certain nikon bodies.by the way these are all Nikon lenses I'm referring to,Tamron do a Good 70-300 for DX
these all have VR
also the 55-300 and 55-200 also come in Vr version ,the older 55-200 didn't and also had VR1 version, I have had the 70-300 FP which was excellent ,i now have a 55-200 VRii which is v good.
of the 2 i think i would go for the AFP 70-300 if it works on your body.

the Afp works faster in live view and general focus aquistion apparently,i did find it very fast when i had it

http://www.dslrbodies.com/lenses/ni...-lens-reviews/nikon-70-300mm-f45-63-af-p.html

The new AF-P lenses at the low end of the consumer DX lineup use a very different approach to focus motors. The AF-P lenses have stepper motors in them that are unlike the previous AF-S lens motors, which use a piezoelectric or ultrasonic wave motor. The good news is that these new stepper motors are fast and quiet. The bad news is that only a few cameras are compatible with them (see near end of this section).

Back