NIKON D4 announced

"The Nikon D4 provides an exposure compensation range of -5 to +5 EV, set in increments of 1/3, 1/2, or 1 EV. Additionally, it's possible to bracket anywhere from two to nine frames, in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, or 1 EV, both for flash and available-light exposures."

Would make HDR shots very impressive and very easy!

Managed to get my pre-order in with Warehouseexpress before it was available on their website, hopefully that means I'll get one from the first batch. Very excited!!

Hopefully I'll shift my D3S before the price tumbles TOO much...

I have a D3s for sale, but I'm not too worried.

The retail price is £4,800 for a D4 ... it's going to have to drop quite a bit before it gets anywhere the second hand price of a D3s (c £3k). It looks like a fabulous camera, but not a quantum leap like the D3 was when it first arrived.

Only 16.2 Mps though, and with the Canon 1Dx at 18 Mps does this mean the high megapixel war is at an end. With people waiting for a 30 Mp 5D MkIII (high hopes) I really can't see this happening. Will the masses waiting for the all singing and dancing 5D3 be disappointed if they don't get what they want. I'm glad I got my 21 Mp 5D2 when I did. I doubt very much I'll ever get a chance to have a play with the D4 or the Canon 1Dx for that matter, but I'm sure it'll be a very useable, high quality camera that will be a favorite of the Nikonites for years to come.

I wouldnt say so, both the D4 and 1DX seem to be targetting the high FPS/ISO sports/jurno/wildlife market so that limates the resolution. Its looking likely that the D4x and 1Ds mk4 won't happen but I'd guess we'll see high megapixel 5D/D700 sized bodies released sometime in the next year or two.

"The Nikon D4 provides an exposure compensation range of -5 to +5 EV, set in increments of 1/3, 1/2, or 1 EV. Additionally, it's possible to bracket anywhere from two to nine frames, in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, or 1 EV, both for flash and available-light exposures."

Would make HDR shots very impressive and very easy!

That's not a new feature, in fact my d200 has the exact same bracketing options.

The Nikon UK and US websites are currently down. Unprecedented interest in the new launch perhaps?

Why would you want two...85mm f/1.8 lenses? ;)

Screenshot2012-01-06at080131.png

To take portraits in 3D perhaps?? :)

Its looking likely that the D4x and 1Ds mk4 won't happen but I'd guess we'll see high megapixel 5D/D700 sized bodies released sometime in the next year or two.

I'd be surprised if they didn't at some point. We've had D1x, D2x and D3x bodies and I don't see any reason to stop now. I think that we will see a D4x with less ISO performance (which matters little in the studio) and a ridiculous Mpx value :D

I'd be surprised if they didn't at some point. We've had D1x, D2x and D3x bodies and I don't see any reason to stop now. I think that we will see a D4x with less ISO performance (which matters little in the studio) and a ridiculous Mpx value :D

We already know with 99% certainty that the D800 will be studio orientated and 36MP. Also due for release this year and in fact accidentally shown in the Nikon germany site in one of it's banners earlier today. Will be a more expensive beast than the current D700 but priced below the D4.

Having 11fps, 4 mega pixel more and ISO up to 12800 can justified me spending the cash on the D4.

Interestingly, the leaked french magazine's article on the d4 states that you can get 12fps in crop mode, too. Which puts it up there directly competing with the DSLTs in terms of framerate, which is quite something.

The ability to focus when the biggest aperture supported by the lens is f8. Most often used when you have a long f4/f5.6v lens and a 2x or 1.4x teleconvertor attached. Needed by birders...

thanks still confused

i use a 300mm f4 and a tc 1.4 most of the time and set at F8 and 9 points

do i need to alter settings in my D700 and D3s when using these?

No. Focusing ALWAYS happens with the lens wide open (so in your case - F4+1.4TC - F5.6).

The F8 you set is what the picture is taken at.

thanks still confused

When focussing the camera has the lens as wide open as it goes, to allow the maximum amount of light for focus. Most cameras have to have the widest aperture to be f5.6 or larger but some can still AF at f8, for example the 1D series up to but not including the X.

We already know with 99% certainty that the D800 will be studio orientated and 36MP. Also due for release this year and in fact accidentally shown in the Nikon germany site in one of it's banners earlier today. Will be a more expensive beast than the current D700 but priced below the D4.

I think that the likelihood is that the D800 is just the next thing along in the line that started D700 and any blurb that it is a new thing and will sit along side the D700 at a higher price is just some jedi mind trick in order to up the price point for a FF D700 sized camera and that the D700 will disappear once the public has accepted the D800's price. I still expect a D4x to come along for serious pro studio use (as an alternative to a MF camera). This time next year I would expect D400, D800, D4 and D4x but we will have to see. As if studio photographers are going to accept a smaller bodied camera with less oomph than the old D3x.

According to that article, it's expected to sell for £469.99. I might buy two at that price.

No chance I have pre ordered the lot

So if you want one order from me for only £1000

looks like a great camera for sure... so well done to Nikon... but neither D4 nor 1DX will cause anyone to jump ship I think... They are pretty much even match...

Having gone "drool" over the D4 this morning, the realisation has dawned that if I rushed out and bought it (plus the holy trinity) I'd still end up taking the same photos I always do (FF aside in this argument). I'd have to be a dead dead serious amateur, or a working pro who could realise the payback on the investment to really warrant buying it, as sexy as it is.

The money's there, the heart says go for it, but brain is saying "WTF, you haven't even reached the limits of the D7000 yet". I guess I'm going with brain this time ;)

Having gone "drool" over the D4 this morning, the realisation has dawned that if I rushed out and bought it (plus the holy trinity) I'd still end up taking the same photos I always do (FF aside in this argument). I'd have to be a dead dead serious amateur, or a working pro who could realise the payback on the investment to really warrant buying it, as sexy as it is.

The money's there, the heart says go for it, but brain is saying "WTF, you haven't even reached the limits of the D7000 yet". I guess I'm going with brain this time ;)
you only live once, here today and gone tomorrow and all of that, if you got the money buning a hole and its not better spent else where do it while you can.:D

you only live once, here today and gone tomorrow and all of that, if you got the money buning a hole and its not better spent else where do it while you can.:D

TBH I'd much rather spend the only on a big trip to to actually take pictures of things with my current kit. I'd love to go back to Cambodia now I know how to use a camera :D

I hear what you're saying, but I said the money is there, not that it's burning a hole ;) Besides I hope I have something a bit more poignant to say on my death bed, other than "I really should have bought the D4" ;)

I'll do a bit more reading about it, a bit more considering about it and not rush into it. I do Iove my D3s. It is simply superb.
But I've not bought anything for a while and just sometimes, we like to get a reward from the hard work we do.
I'll wait and see how I feel in a couple of weeks...

Kev.

Oh bugger.

I'll do a bit more reading about it, a bit more considering about it and not rush into it. I do Iove my D3s. It is simply superb.
But I've not bought anything for a while and just sometimes, we like to get a reward from the hard work we do.
I'll wait and see how I feel in a couple of weeks...

Kev.

Oh bugger.

For a current D3s user I don't see it as that much of an upgrade. It's a bit like upgrading from a D90 to a D7000 but without the much improved focus system as one got with the D90 - D7000 upgrade. In fact the more I think about it the more I think that this is a D3s+ rather than the groundbreaking release that the original D3 was.

For a current D3s user I don't see it as that much of an upgrade. It's a bit like upgrading from a D90 to a D7000 but without the much improved focus system as one got with the D90 - D7000 upgrade. In fact the more I think about it the more I think that this is a D3s+ rather than the groundbreaking release that the original D3 was.

Was the D3 not Nikon's first FF? I don't really see how the D4 could ever be as ground breaking.

I think that the likelihood is that the D800 is just the next thing along in the line that started D700 and any blurb that it is a new thing and will sit along side the D700 at a higher price is just some jedi mind trick in order to up the price point for a FF D700 sized camera and that the D700 will disappear once the public has accepted the D800's price. I still expect a D4x to come along for serious pro studio use (as an alternative to a MF camera). This time next year I would expect D400, D800, D4 and D4x but we will have to see. As if studio photographers are going to accept a smaller bodied camera with less oomph than the old D3x.

The rumour sites disagree with that - they reckon Nikon are changing their strategy, so dont expect them to do what they've done before.

Could all be cobblers though, but I reckon there's a shred of truth in it. The D4 specifications were confirmed some weeks ago on nikonrumours and have been proved pretty good.

Anyway, we'll see! :D

Edit: I'm still waiting for a D400 (or whatever it will be called) cos I need the pixel density for what I do...:)

Hmmm. I feel quite flat after reading the release. I've been a D3 user pretty much since it was released. That camera was a game changer.

Never felt the need to upgrade to the D3s and still don't have an itch to upgrade to the D4. What the **** is wrong with me, am I dead inside?? :)

someone talking good sense :)

I hear what you're saying, but I said the money is there, not that it's burning a hole ;) Besides I hope I have something a bit more poignant to say on my death bed, other than "I really should have bought the D4" ;)

hopefully for you it will be the D57s by then :)

lets not forget it hasnt been used yet who knows in the real world it may not be as good as a D3s

Joe MeNally been using it for the past 6 weeks according to his blog on his website and he is seems very happy with it

thanks will have a look dare he criticise it though?

wow he must be respected to have been given it first.

Last edited:
Back