Nikon D40 Autofocus not working

Name
Jack
Edit My Images
No
I've had my Nikon D40 for about 10 years, and about 5-6 years ago problems with the autofocus started to appear. I have two lenses, an 18-55 and a 55-200, and first one went then the other ( I can't remember which went first). It eventually got to the point that the autofocus now never works. I'm now getting back into photography after not using my camera much at all for the last few years and I want to get the camera fixed. I was quoted about £80 for each lens and the camera base unit by https://www.allcamfixers.co.uk/. I can buy a second hand base unit D40 and 18-55 lens for £170, so this seems a bit steep. What are my best options for getting my camera fixed, or is there anything I can do myself safely with a screwdriver?

There's nothing else wrong with the camera or lenses.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've had my Nikon D40 for about 10 years, and about 5-6 years ago problems with the autofocus started to appear. I have two lenses, an 18-55 and a 55-200, and first one went then the other ( I can't remember which went first). It eventually got to the point that the autofocus now never works. I'm now getting back into photography after not using my camera much at all for the last few years and I want to get the camera fixed. I was quoted about £80 for each lens and the camera base unit by https://www.allcamfixers.co.uk/. I can buy a second hand base unit D40 and 18-55 lens for £170, so this seems a bit steep. What are my best options for getting my camera fixed, or is there anything I can do myself safely with a screwdriver?

There's nothing else wrong with the camera or lenses.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Have you tried cleaning the lens contacts with alcohol swabs?

i found my d40 regularly got itself in a knot and kept hunting. Turning it off, taking the lens off and back on seemed to sort it each time.

Same with the office d40...

Update: the 55-200 tries to work, but the motor's struggling and it usually doesn't focus. Does this prove it's not the base unit?

Such older kit as I read it is not often worth economic repair i.e. the cost of repairs exceeds it value/(secondhand)replacement cost .

In regard to the fixer site you mention.........never of them being mentioned before! Looking at them it reminds of one or more of the residential maintenance services that use tradesmen who are independent contractors i.e. if you have a problem the company are not involved. Of note I could see any reference to that their (army of) repairers are trained & competent???

Barge pole and arm's length comes to mind.

There are other much more reputable companies like Fixation in London to choose from.

Personally with a camera of that vintage a repair is simply a uneconomic repair . Treat yourself to something like a d7100 or even a d7000 depending on your finances and there’s a good possibility that both your lenses will function again due to th3 more powerful motors in newer cameras .

Of course if you want to waste your money send the d40 off for repair . One thought does come to mind if the lenses are not focussing ,are you possibly still using the original battery .???

BTW just had a look on mpb.com d40 body only with a warranty start at £44 so definetly not a economic repair , but I,ll bet your problem lies with a prehistoric battery

Last edited:
Maybe there is someone local who could try the lenses on their own camera just to narrow down the fault.

@Watrevir

Whereabouts are you Jack. You’re welcome to try them on my camera if you wish.

I live in Okehampton, Devon. I emailed the guy you recommended and he got back to me straight away saying it was probably the lens motors. It's probably worth getting new lenses with warranties, but it'd be great to try a working lens before I do that.

I live in Okehampton, Devon. I emailed the guy you recommended and he got back to me straight away saying it was probably the lens motors. It's probably worth getting new lenses with warranties, but it'd be great to try a working lens before I do that.

I’m too far away, Guildford Surrey. Maybe someone else reading this thread could help.

Back