Nikon D40 VS. Sony A200... Best For Beginner Like Me?

Name
Melissa
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello! I've just joined this forum and can't wait to get posting pics, but first i need to decide which DSLR to buy! Hoping you guys could aid me in my decision :D

Well I'm a 17 year old (girl) student, so my budget is very limited, so really i don't have many choices. However I did find 2 cameras that are in my price range but can't decide whether Nikon D40 or Sony A2OO would suit me best.

I'll list some things I'll probably be taking most of my pictures of..

My dog & cat- portraits & action shots of them
People-- My friends, family, candids etc- and attempt creative pics of us by perhaps playing with depth of field
Nature- whatever i find in the garden, trips to the zoo, other dogs i see at the park
Concerts/Gigs- I would go to a few occasionally and i would like to come back with some worthwhile shots for a change. Unlike the noise-filled pics my digicam takes now.

Really i'd like to be quite adventurous when i get the camera and play about with different settings, so the list will be longer than this one, but generally that is what i like photographing now. :)

Here's the 2 Cameras I'm deciding between at a glance- to compare some of the differences between them

SONY A200
10.2 mp
18-70mm lens lit
SuperSteady Shot feature
DOP preview (with dedicated button)
Dust reduction mechanism
(does anyone know if the Song A2OO is compatible with those wireless remotes? as i was interested in buying a remote to take nature pics etc)

NIKON D40
6.1 mp
18-55mm lens kit
'Specifically designed for ease of use' (i like the helpful menus with tips and advice)
no DOP preview
no dust reduction mechanism

Okay now some of my concerns....

Nikon d40 has no DOP preview- does this make it difficult (especially for a 1st time user like me) to get the depth of field you are after (as you must judge for yourself..?)
No dust reduction either- what does this mean, will it affect me much? Will i have to go back to the shop where i bought it to get it cleaned? If so, how often?
'Only 6mp' - i hear this won't really make a difference in image quality and general printing, but if i were to crop an image.. Would i see much difference between cropping pics of 6 and 10 mp?

Sony- less lenses to choose from if i were to buy more, but I probably won't be able to afford many lenses that soon anyways. However, should i go with Nikon, the more experienced and trusted brand that has more lenses and accessories available to it?
Better zoom on Sony lens kit- does this make a big difference to the Nikon's zoom?
Does the added megapixels on this DSLR mean i will have more noise in my concert pics? (Although i think the sony has a noise reduction button..?)
:thinking:
Just outta curiosity- why is the Sony the same price as the Nikon even though it seems to have more features and more mp?

So can anyone help me decide? You guys are the experts, and if I've got any of my facts wrong please correct me- I probably have no clue what I'm talking about. I'm very new to the DSLR world! :p

Any pointers at all will be appreciated :)

Sony. but I would say that as I have bought into the system. The A200 is 'cheap' because there are two other models, the A300 and A350 that are only a tiny bit better then you get to the A700 and that is a whole lot better. There are more and more lenses coming out now for the Sony brand, both third party and Sony or Carl Zeiss branded gear.

To get a flash unit then yes, maybe getting a Sony branded one is about the only option at the moment, but there are other 'add ons' out there, like filters, remote release cables etc etc that are not Sony branded and are pretty cheap if you are on a budget. Also the A200 is able to use a wireless remote.

Looks as if you've thought this all out already ;)

Sony are new to the dslr market and their products are aggressively priced to gain market share at the moment, meaning that you can get more for your money, however it depends on how far you intend to take your photography. The A200 is a more modern camera with more features, however, as you say, Sony lenses are less plentiful and more expensive than those for the Nikon, so an initial saving can be lost after buying just one extra lens.

DoF preview, I don't know if this is a deal breaker for you, but personally I've never used it after a wee while you will have an idea of what kind of DoF each different apperture will give you, so you probably wouldn't use the feature again either!

Internal dust reduction systems are really just a marketing tool, at some point you'll still need to clean the sensor on any dslr. A 10mp sensor would allow you to crop an image more severely, but in general terms for web or home printing you'll probably not see a difference - I have shots here on TP taken with a 6mp Nikon D70 and others with a 12mp Nikon D300, but at these sizes the difference probably isn't noticeable.

As always it ultimately comes down to which camera feels "right" to you in use, so go along to a camera store and try each one (including the menu systems!) and see which you find easiest/most comfortable to use.

Thanks JPS & Flash in the Pan (lol name) for your input! And for explaining thoe few things to me.
I'm still so indecisive, and have been reading around all night :p

I read on another forum that the D40 is not great at focusing on moving subjects, would you agree with this?
This is of interest to me as I'll probably be pestering my dog for photos, including a lot of action ones...and he runs fast :|

I could be wrong but I think there is someone round here using a D40 for motorsport, so I doubt a D40 would have too many issues with the dog, and don't forget the lens itself and its motor will make a difference to this.

DoP preview - NEVER used it in anger with either my D70 or D200, it might just be me, but I find it totally useless as a tool and it certainly wouldn't influence my choise of camera body.

The best advice I can offer is to get into the shops and have a good long play with both bodies, see how they feel in your hand, how easy the buttons and menus are to navigate, etc. You have already done quite a bit of reseacrh judging by your first post and seem to understand that pro's and con's of a lot for your money versus a brand with a not insubstantial reputation and huge after-market sector, so should the choice will come down to what you prefer the feel of.

Oh and one last thing, I cannot comment for Sony, though I am guessing they are the same as everyoe else, but kit lenses at the introductory end of the market will not be representative of the better glass that will available for the camera, so don't necessarily judge the camera on the lens its comes with, take some consideration of what and when you will be able to add more glass.

finally - whichever one you go for, enjoy it! :D

SONY.
JPS and Flash have already done a good job of explaining.
Another issue to think about is the lack of focus motor in the D40X body.
This means you are fairly limited to what lens you can use (although there are more and more lens being made for this model).
You need to buy a lens with the focus motor in the lens, so Nikon SWM (I think!!) Sigma HSM, and as far as I know, there's nothing by Tamron.

Another consideration which made up my mind to get the Sony a300 is the in-body image stabilizer.
Basically, and lens you put on an Alpha, is stabilized. Nikon doesn't, so you have to buy Vibration Reduction lens, which of course are dearer.

One more minor point......
The D40X only has 3 focus area points, unlike the Sony's 9.
This is only a minor issue like I say, but still something that bugged the hell outta me!

I've used a D40, and I must say that both camera's will produce a super image, that allot of the time doesn't require post processing.
The D40 perhaps has the edge a bit here........

GOOD LUCK (y)

What is your budget for your camera? Just in case there are other options that we can suggest....

Under £350, I don't really want to go any higher as i would also need to buy accessories like a memory card, case etc.

Flash, you also mentioned that buying lenses for the Sony would be more expensive, but i was flicking through the Currys price list and they have the 75-300mm telephoto zoom lens for £170, yet they also have the Nikon 55-200mm lens for £180. Why is the Nikon lens that has less zoom (i don't really know the terminology here) more expensive? :thinking:
And the Nikon 70-300mm lens is £400! But it looks to me that it's very similar to the Sony 75-300mm, so why is it so much more expensive than the Sony?

Other than that..
Thanks for all the responses, it sure gives me plenty to think about.
I'll post more questions later but now i have to go.

Don't forget that a lot of great Minolta AF lenses fit the Alpha range of cameras and can be picked up for very good prices on e-bay etc.

I bought a mint 50mm f1.7 minolta lens off ebay for £55.00 which works like a charm on my A200 and gives superb results.

Under £350, I don't really want to go any higher as i would also need to buy accessories like a memory card, case etc.

Flash, you also mentioned that buying lenses for the Sony would be more expensive, but i was flicking through the Currys price list and they have the 75-300mm telephoto zoom lens for £170, yet they also have the Nikon 55-200mm lens for £180. Why is the Nikon lens that has less zoom (i don't really know the terminology here) more expensive? :thinking:
And the Nikon 70-300mm lens is £400! But it looks to me that it's very similar to the Sony 75-300mm, so why is it so much more expensive than the Sony?

Other than that..
Thanks for all the responses, it sure gives me plenty to think about.
I'll post more questions later but now i have to go.

With a zoom lens, there tends to be a trade off as far as quality is concerned compared to a prime lens, so if you work on the basis that the more zoom the more expensive, prime lenses would be free!:D

Seriously though, on that basis there would effectively be a bigger trade off with the 75-300 than the 55-200, hence the 75-300 would be cheaper. I'm probably being simplistic here but I think that should get the point over. Being a sony user I have no real knowledge of the Nikon lens but I have used the Sony 75-300 and it is very capable for the price. Of course, as far as lenses are concerned, there are plenty of options available in the Sigma and Tamron ranges, both of which, in my opinion anyway, give excellent quality at very reasonable prices.

What Chillimonster said... Olympus E-510 is a bargain at that price, and you'll have quite simply, two of the best kit lenses available.

Just don't let your decision be determined by the number of I love Nikon or I love Canon smilies you see in threads or posts. Go try one and see before you buy... Oh, and also don't let anyone tell you... "don't go the Olympus route because you are buying into a system"... that's really tosh advice nowadays.

Good luck with your search... :)

j

:thinking:Currys......lenses......nononono :nono:.....the Nikon 55-200 VR can be had for under £130 and the 70-300 VR is usually under £300. The Nikon lenses both have built in motors and VR, whereas the Sony lenses don't have VR and are therefore much cheaper to produce. Nikon's older,non-vr versions of the lenses mentioned above can be had new for under £70 each, but aren't worth bothering about.

Quick Questions- Once you have bought a DSLR from a shop, would you have to return to the shop often to get the sensor cleaned (of dust)?
I'm asking because i see there is a £2.99 product support charge per month (not sure if this is optional) in Currys, is this so you can bring it back to get it cleaned for free, or what is this for?
How often do sensors need cleaning?

I'm also wondering if i should buy from a shop, or online. My parents would probably feel safer if i bought from a shop (so if something goes wrong it's easily returned) but i see there's better deals online...
If it were to need fixing/returned if bought online, would it take about 3 weeks to get it back, like when my ipod broke? :razz: Cause I have little patience lol.
Have any of you had good/bad experiences of buying cameras online?

I'm now also considering the Olympus E-510 with the twin lens kit.
It seems like such a great deal, and i love the added bonus of Live View- although without truly understanding all of the benefits.
(Thanks ChilliMonster & theMusicMan for that advice)
Although i have only seen that set for £400 in shops, which really is more than i can afford. I would be so tempted if i could find the deal for £350 in a shop, or if i decided to buy online.
Any disadvantages of owning this DSLR? I've only been reading around for the last half an hour about it but only have found these cons by cameralabs.com-
Cons: Relatively small viewfinder, Can't see stabilisation in optical viewfinder, motorised manual focusing.

What does the latter mean??

You can clean the sensor at home, it's the shops and to an extent the manufacturers that tell you that you need to send it in for cleaning. Unless of course if your sensor is absolutely filthy - but it should never get that far.

Thanks JPS, what do i need to buy to clean it? Hopefully it's cheap, I'm finding photography definitely is an expensive hobby! :LOL:

I'm really feeling i should buy online now :thinking:

Quick Questions- Once you have bought a DSLR from a shop, would you have to return to the shop often to get the sensor cleaned (of dust)?
I'm asking because i see there is a £2.99 product support charge per month (not sure if this is optional) in Currys, is this so you can bring it back to get it cleaned for free, or what is this for?

It depends how often you get dust into the camera :naughty: If you avoid changing lenses in dusty or windy places then it might not need cleaned for a long time, on the other hand change the lens the first time in a dust storm and it'll need a sensor clean on day one ;)

Most of the time a quick puff of air from one of these will shift most dust from a sensor, so don't be talked into any support contracts, any of the advice (which is pretty much all you'l get for your £36/year) you can get for free, right here on TP ;)
I'm also wondering if i should buy from a shop, or online. My parents would probably feel safer if i bought from a shop (so if something goes wrong it's easily returned) but i see there's better deals online...
If it were to need fixing/returned if bought online, would it take about 3 weeks to get it back, like when my ipod broke? :razz: Cause I have little patience lol.

I've bought a few cameras online, only had one bad experience, but the best way I've found, if you have a Jessops store nearby is to buy the camera on their website and select "Collect at Store" - I ended up saving £250 doing that the last time and any problems you just go back to any Jessops store.

If I were you I'd also have a look at the Canon 400D and 450D, just to complicate things further :LOL:

If i was you i would go for Nikon but go for the D80 this would open up the amount of lenses you can be use (D40/60 have no focus motor) and there are shed loads of 3rd party lenses avalible

If i was you i would go for Nikon but go for the D80 this would open up the amount of lenses you can be use (D40/60 have no focus motor) and there are shed loads of 3rd party lenses avalible

I would love to but I'm afraid my budget won't stretch that far! Compliments for the info though :)

I'm also not sure whether i should invest in a camera with Live View, is it worth it?
What all does it do?

PS- Sorry for question upon question here... I guess i just wanna know exactly what I'm getting for my money, so i don't think 'aw i should have bought that one..' later on.
You guys have been so helpful though :)

I think the best advice if you wish to buy new is to try out at a local store. Everyone will have their own opinions on what they prefer Nikon/Canon/Sony etc. Only you can tell what feels best for you by physically holding and trying some of the fuctions.

However, I have recently upgraded to a Nikon D300 and as such I am considering selling my existing Sony A100 kit which is a tough decision. I hadn't decided if I wanted to sell it yet so I haven't placed it in the For Sale section or on ebay.

If second hand kit is a possible consideration then may I propose the following:

I would ask for £130 + p&p and this would include Boxed Sony A100 with Sony 18-70mm kit lens charger, battery and manuals.

I will also include: Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DL Macro Super, Minolta 35-80mm & Aputure Timer Cable Release.

The A100 body has no scratches or marks and the kit lens is fully working.

The Minolta lens has a built-in cover and is in full working order, the 70-300mm works fine in AF mode but does not run smoothly in MF (hence it's inclusion as an extra bit of kit). PM me if you are interested and I will find out Delivery costs and include pics of the kit.

Paul

I think the best advice if you wish to buy new is to try out at a local store. Everyone will have their own opinions on what they prefer Nikon/Canon/Sony etc. Only you can tell what feels best for you by physically holding and trying some of the fuctions.

However, I have recently upgraded to a Nikon D300 and as such I am considering selling my existing Sony A100 kit which is a tough decision. I hadn't decided if I wanted to sell it yet so I haven't placed it in the For Sale section or on ebay.

If second hand kit is a possible consideration then may I propose the following:

I would ask for £130 + p&p and this would include Boxed Sony A100 with Sony 18-70mm kit lens charger, battery and manuals.

I will also include: Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DL Macro Super, Minolta 35-80mm & Aputure Timer Cable Release.

The A100 body has no scratches or marks and the kit lens is fully working.

The Minolta lens has a built-in cover and is in full working order, the 70-300mm works fine in AF mode but does not run smoothly in MF (hence it's inclusion as an extra bit of kit). PM me if you are interested and I will find out Delivery costs and include pics of the kit.

Paul

Jesus!! :eek:
that's a steal!
Seriously consider this mans offer if I were you......

:agree:

At that price all arguements about different functions etc go right out the window :bonk:

You'd be hard pushed to get a decent point and shoot for £130, even with insured shipping you'll be well under £150 :)

WOW!

Hammerhead64, that's a whopping offer! I'm very interested. :)
I hope you don't mind but I will get back to you later, it's 1.30am and i have a driving lesson in the morning, so better get me some sleep! lol
But thanks! I shall forward this on to the parents and hopefully get their approval!

With Olympus e-series cameras, they don't need cleaning. Olympus cameras have a built in supersonic wave filter and I have never needed my sensor cleaned. If you go another route and decide to clan sensors yourself - warning - be careful.

I think most people here would have purchased online at some point. Choose a well known or reputable dealer and you will be fine. You can even use the likes of Amazon. However, if you want to contact someone for a great deal, look for 'Kerso' on here. He's a star and could save you lots of money regardless of which system you go for.

I'm now also considering the Olympus E-510 with the twin lens kit.
It seems like such a great deal, and i love the added bonus of Live View- although without truly understanding all of the benefits.
(Thanks ChilliMonster & theMusicMan for that advice)
Although i have only seen that set for £400 in shops, which really is more than i can afford. I would be so tempted if i could find the deal for £350 in a shop, or if i decided to buy online.
Any disadvantages of owning this DSLR? I've only been reading around for the last half an hour about it but only have found these cons by cameralabs.com-
Cons: Relatively small viewfinder, Can't see stabilisation in optical viewfinder, motorised manual focusing.

What does the latter mean??
The Olympus system packs way more features per pound into your camera than many other systems. One distinct advantage is that Image Stability is built into the camera and NOT into each lens. So, every lens you place on the E-510 would have image stabilisation - to get Image Stabilisation with other manufacturers you have to buy very expensive lenses as the IS is in the lens not the camera.

Motorised Manual focusing is just that, when you focus it is electronics that move the glass inside the lens rather than mechanical movement - leading to more precision and control.

Live View: yes it is worth it. When Live View was first brought out (and as is often the case, Olympus were the first), everyone thought it a gimmick and not worth it. Funny now though that some Canon/Nikon cameras are featuring this functionality. I find it useful, especially for close focus or Macro shots. Live View on the E-510 allows you to zoom in to the image by a factor of x5, x7 or x10 which allows you to get the focus spot on... absolutely necessary for Macro shots.

Kit Lenses: You will find that the kit lenses supplied with the E-510 are the best kit lenses you will get, with any DSLR. All manufacturers offer a range of superb lenses, Canon/Nikon have a huge range too, but no Lit Lenses are as good as the Oly kit lenses. Zuiko glass is amongst the best you can get.

The best advice I can offer though is to get to a shop and try whatever camera you are after yourself. See how it feels in the hand, then make your decision.

Jesus!! :eek:
that's a steal!
Seriously consider this mans offer if I were you......

I concur!
As an introduction to digital SLR's that has to be the deal of a lifetime, and really is a sensible route to take.
OK, the thought of a brand new camera in your hands is tempting....but the A100 is a terrific starting point and a great beginners tool.
This hobby is an expensive one, and anything that can keep the costs down whilst giving you solid, reliable results has to be considered.
I'd personally jump at it, learn the basics and if and when you are ready to move on to something else you will be safe in the knowledge that your initial investment would have been minimal and will be recouped.
Rob

With Olympus e-series cameras, they don't need cleaning. Olympus cameras have a built in supersonic wave filter and I have never needed my sensor cleaned. If you go another route and decide to clan sensors yourself - warning - be careful.

No disrespect, but that's not exactly true :wink:

Firstly none of the systems currently available clean the sensor, the merely shake it about a bit to dislodge any loose particles of dust. Any that are stuck to the sensor will remain - I know, I've had to clean the sensor of my D300 twice so far and it, like the Olympus has a built in dust reduction system.

Secondly, and I don't know if this is still the case, but when I considered an Olympus as my first DSLR a wee while back (having had Olympus slrs in the past) I was shocked at how long the start-up was compared to the other brands. The dust reduction system meant it took something like 2-4 seconds, compared with 0.17 seconds for Nikon or Canon. I know that doesn't sound like much of an issue, but it could mean missing the shot of a lifetime whilst you wait for the camera to whir and click it's way through it's wake-up routine...

Firstly none of the systems currently available clean the sensor, the merely shake it about a bit to dislodge any loose particles of dust. Any that are stuck to the sensor will remain - I know, I've had to clean the sensor of my D300 twice so far and it, like the Olympus has a built in dust reduction system.

Secondly, and I don't know if this is still the case, but when I considered an Olympus as my first DSLR a wee while back (having had Olympus slrs in the past) I was shocked at how long the start-up was compared to the other brands. The dust reduction system meant it took something like 2-4 seconds, compared with 0.17 seconds for Nikon or Canon. I know that doesn't sound like much of an issue, but it could mean missing the shot of a lifetime whilst you wait for the camera to whir and click it's way through it's wake-up routine...

Well in my experience (and theMusicMan's) i have NEVER had to manually clean the sensor on my E-3, or E-1 (Or my old E-510 for that matter) as the SSWF dust reduction system does it for me every time i switch the camera on. Yes it takes a second or so to do so, but so what, by the time you have got the camera to your eye, its done and dusted (Pardon the pun :LOL: - i'd rather it did it at switch-on when i am going to take pictures rather than at switch off when i have done taking pictures (only to go and have to clone out dust from the last lens change).

As for cleaning the sensor on your D300, what can i say, the Olympus system is recognised as the best out there ;)

Chris

Well in my experience (and theMusicMan's) i have NEVER had to manually clean the sensor on my E-3, or E-1 (Or my old E-510 for that matter) as the SSWF dust reduction system does it for me every time i switch the camera on. Yes it takes a second or so to do so, but so what, by the time you have got the camera to your eye, its done and dusted (Pardon the pun :LOL: - i'd rather it did it at switch-on when i am going to take pictures rather than at switch off when i have done taking pictures (only to go and have to clone out dust from the last lens change).

As for cleaning the sensor on your D300, what can i say, the Olympus system is recognised as the best out there ;)

Chris

As I said in my previous post, a second is a long time in photography, 3 or 4 seconds is an eternity ;)

Just out of interest, have you ever taken a tesr shot at f/22 to see if you actually have any dust on your sensor, or are you just assuming you don't because it doesn't show up at larger apertures?

I was offered a D80 recently and the seller said the sensor was "spotless", but when I took a test shot at f/22 it looked like the bottom of a budgie's cage :LOL:

No disrespect... but you are talking from a point of view that appears to have no Olympus experience. ;)

As with Chilli, I have never had to clean the sensor either in my E-510 or my E-3 and the only time I had wondered if I had dust on the sensor was when I spotted (excuse the pun) a few spots on several images I took when at the beach. It turned out to be sand on the ND4 filter I had placed in front of the lens!

So, regardless of the systems being Dust Reduction systems or Dust Cleaning Systems - the Olympus System seems to work far better than that of Nikons D300 Dust System doesn't it. How long have you had the camera...???

As for your comment of 2-4 seconds start-up... again, with due respect, it appears you are commenting either (1) without experience or (2) in ignorance, as I have just turned my E-3 on, and I am ready to take photos in around 1 second. You seem to place rather daft level of importance on the 0.17 seconds it takes for a Canon or Nikon to get to start-up - all I say to that is if you can get a camera turned on, focussed (oh and while we're at it, don't forget also that the E-3 with 12-60 SWD lens is the fastest focusing lens/camera combo) and ready to shoot your subject in that time, you should be in Beijing... :)

As I said in my previous post, a second is a long time in photography, 3 or 4 seconds is an eternity ;)

Just out of interest, have you ever taken a tesr shot at f/22 to see if you actually have any dust on your sensor, or are you just assuming you don't because it doesn't show up at larger apertures?

I was offered a D80 recently and the seller said the sensor was "spotless", but when I took a test shot at f/22 it looked like the bottom of a budgie's cage :LOL:

Have you actually timed how long it takes to get the camera from waist level to eye level. It takes me a second or two, in which time the sensor cleaning has done its job, the sensor is clean and i'm ready to shoot. If you can get the camera from waist level / bag (which is where i switch it on) to eye level in 0.17 seconds you're a better man tham me (and a lot of others!)

Too much emphisis is put on the startup 'lag' when in real life it is of no consequence (unless you raise the camera to eye level BEFORE powering it on :shrug:)

I've taken many many small apature pics (on all three cameras) without any visible signs of dust, so the system must work.

Chris

i'm not all that experienced,but the sensor cleaning on the sony alpha 200,300 and 350 is done when you power down the camera as opposed to power up,which should really be the case on all cameras i would think :shrug:

Why clean the sensor after the event when youve finished shooting, only to have to clone out the dust in post processing; it's a bit like 'closing the barn door after the horse has bolted' to me.

I'd rather start with a clean sensor, and know that my pictures will be free from dust, than the other way around.

Chris

Why clean the sensor after the event when youve finished shooting, only to have to clone out the dust in post processing; it's a bit like 'closing the barn door after the horse has bolted' to me.

I'd rather start with a clean sensor, and know that my pictures will be free from dust, than the other way around.

Chris

point taken,but if the sensor is cleaned after use,then surely it still is the next time you use the camera(assuming the lens hasn't been removed and camera/sensor been left for dust to find it's way on there again...

as i've said,i'm still learning :LOL:

point taken,but if the sensor is cleaned after use,then surely it still is the next time you use the camera(assuming the lens hasn't been removed and camera/sensor been left for dust to find it's way on there again...

as i've said,i'm still learning :LOL:

Thats just the point.....

You turn your camera off, then sensor is cleaned. The you change lenses, thus allowing dust to enter the mirror box. The camera is then turned back on and you start taking pictures with no additional cleaning taking place.

The Oly way of doing things means that the sensor is cleaned after every lens change and before shooting commences :)

Thats just the point.....

You turn your camera off, then sensor is cleaned. The you change lenses, thus allowing dust to enter the mirror box. The camera is then turned back on and you start taking pictures with no additional cleaning taking place.

The Oly way of doing things means that the sensor is cleaned after every lens change and before shooting commences :)

then why did sony change it :shrug:

my A100 cleaned the sensor ON startup :bonk:.my alpha 350 has actually been better at keeping the dust bunnies out than my A100 ever did.maybe it's because i now store the camera with the lens on the body...i also think you're more likely to get dust in there when lens are changed out in the field,so to speak...

because people are obsessed with statistics such as "Start-up-time", and this is a shortcut to better start-up-time.

That's a shame because it works really well on the a100 & a700 and they only take about half a second to start up, if that.:shrug:

Nikon. Its a lens system you are buying into and Nikon lenses will beat Sony every time I'm sure. The problem with Sony and Olympus is that they are budget cameras. People go "Oooh a DSLR for £xxx" and buy it. I don't care what anyone says about the features on those bodies they simply aren't enough to warrant buying it over the Nikon lens system. Buy the D40, buy some nice lenses and eventually get the D80. Later get the D700 and even nicer lenses. Can you say the same for Sony or Olympus? Dust problems? Who cares, been fixable for years. Image stabilisation? Nice but I only have that on one lens and I can't say I've ever needed it on the others I use.

Back