nikon d4s

at 1/800th @ 600mm youre right on the limit of whats acceptable before you need some sort of support
Gary
You might have something there.............without the TC and with my D3s and 300mm f2.8 I was shooting at a minimum of 1000 shutter speed.
I am still selling the TC though................$)$&$&@ hate it

Just some extra feedback the mirror slap has a totally different sound to the D3s and while shooting at 11 fps I never lost view of what I was shooting at........sweet

Just some extra feedback the mirror slap has a totally different sound to the D3s and while shooting at 11 fps I never lost view of what I was shooting at........sweet
That is all well and good Neil, but the results are not to your standard, slow the camera down, up your shutter speed and practice your technique.

Another thing I used is the new group focus setting..................defiantly tracked the BIF better than the D3s

Not being up to speed with tele convertors and stuff I would say that if I had a d4s and got the above pics I think I'd be a bit like Neil to be honest. I would expect them to look much sharper at these ISO's.

You know that there is a human operator in that equation as well don't you..... not just about the kit.

You know that there is a human operator in that equation as well don't you..... not just about the kit.

Yes. I was just saying that I would be disappointed if the images were not as sharp/punchy as I'd have expected. If it had been me. I didn't take the photos so I can't account for potential operator error.

Here are two out of the camera shots
1/. 1/800 sec; f/8; ISO 1400
View attachment 8936
2/. 1/800 sec; f/5.6; ISO 720

View attachment 8938
Your focus is off! Look at the first pic, the black area of the step in the right is in focus. User error sorry dude. These shots are soft cos you or your lens got it wrong and the evidence is in front of you. Dont blame the camera, you know how it goes!

Also, you might be looking for the wrong things, you do know a d4s isnt sharper than say a d600?

Mike
After listening to the previous threads "yes without a doubt" I was a contributing factor to the crap pictures due to the settings that I input into the camera and my ability to recognise the wrong settings..............that said I am still never going to use that 2.0 TC again. I will save up for the 500 f4 and start using the right tool for the job, and continue to learn how to take pictures.
Off to Japan tomorrow for 9 days of Cherry Blossom/people shooting.............at least the trees are stationary and the people are hopefully not running:) :)

Last edited:
Especially when you shoot a bird in flight at a less than optimal 1/800th...
Lol 1/800 indeed. Why get a d4s???? A guide to photography is needed here !

Mike
After listening to the previous threads "yes without a doubt" I was a contributing factor to the crap pictures due to the settings that I input into the camera and my ability to recognise the wrong settings..............that said I am still never going to use that 2.0 TC again. I will save up for the 500 f4 and start using the right tool for the job, and continue to learn how to take pictures.

That is not a specific slight at you but more a response to the post which seemed to suggest that the kit should be producing good images - which of course it does with care. We are all guilty of shooting at the edges of capability at times - and have to accept that in those situations it may well be the human part which is limiting.

As for the TC 2.0 III - mine is fine also, some loss but really not that bad and massively improved from earlier 2.0x models in both Canon and Nikon. You may have a duff copy, in which case get it replaced. I wouldn't rule it out of court though. In certain circumstances it can be the difference between getting an image or not - which is why it has a place in my bag. You do though as has been covered have to treat it like a 300mmx2=600mm focal length and get yourself well above the 1/focal length shutter speed and at that length unless you are experienced and strong probably 1/2xfocal length even with VR engaged.

That is not a specific slight at you but more a response to the post which seemed to suggest that the kit should be producing good images - which of course it does with care. We are all guilty of shooting at the edges of capability at times - and have to accept that in those situations it may well be the human part which is limiting.

As for the TC 2.0 III - mine is fine also, some loss but really not that bad and massively improved from earlier 2.0x models in both Canon and Nikon. You may have a duff copy, in which case get it replaced. I wouldn't rule it out of court though. In certain circumstances it can be the difference between getting an image or not - which is why it has a place in my bag. You do though as has been covered have to treat it like a 300mmx2=600mm focal length and get yourself well above the 1/focal length shutter speed and at that length unless you are experienced and strong probably 1/2xfocal length even with VR engaged.
Mike,
Yes I screwed up, I now remember setting the auto ISO to 6400 and 800 min shutter speed as when I first arrived I was just shooting with the 300mm attached and thinking more than double focal length will be enough but obviously forgot to up it when I added the TC...........not be the first time I have forgot stuff.
Anyways I have just sold the TC so no need to worry about that puppy anymore.
Thanks again for taking the time to help me figure it all out

Mike,
Yes I screwed up, I now remember setting the auto ISO to 6400 and 800 min shutter speed as when I first arrived I was just shooting with the 300mm attached and thinking more than double focal length will be enough but obviously forgot to up it when I added the TC
The focal length isn't thr reason to up the speed, that would only be the case if the object were stationary and we were negotiating how not to show camera shake...

It's the fact that your subject requires a faster speed. I'd probably look to be shooting that closer to the 1/2000th and go up from there...

Whether you are at 150mm, 300mm or 600mm doesn't take away the fact that your subject was going too fast for 1/800th...

Last edited:
The focal length isn't thr reason to up the speed, that would only be the case if the object were stationary and we were negotiating how not to show camera shake...

It's the fact that your subject requires a faster speed. I'd probably look to be shooting that closer to the 1/2000th and go up from there...

Whether you are at 150mm, 300mm or 600mm doesn't take away the fact that your subject was going too fast for 1/800th...
Thats not 100% correct...........shooting birds in flight requires panning which in turn will require less shutter speed which will help keep the ISO down as trying to get all the bird in focus requires f5.6 minimum but preferably f8

Thats not 100% correct...........shooting birds in flight requires panning which in turn will require less shutter speed which will help keep the ISO down as trying to get all the bird in focus requires f5.6 minimum but preferably f8
It is 100% correct in this circumstance since your BIF wasn't a panning shot (he's going diagonally away from you).

Of course there are always circumstances where you would use a different technique, maybe the shooter wants movement in the wings and a sharp body etc but your shot...1/800th is too slow to get it tack sharp.

It is 100% correct in this circumstance since your BIF wasn't a panning shot (he's going diagonally away from you).

Of course there are always circumstances where you would use a different technique, maybe the shooter wants movement in the wings and a sharp body etc but your shot...1/800th is too slow to get it tack sharp.
Phil
If you took the time to read my previous reply you would not be dwelling on the 800 BS..........I have already said that I screwed up with the settings

Phil
If you took the time to read my previous reply you would not be dwelling on the 800 BS..........I have already said that I screwed up with the settings
I have read it and I realise what you're saying about it being a problem with the 2x etc... but what I'm saying is that your 2x is going to magnify errors right? And if the shutter speed was too slow without the TC, you'll definitely notice it with the TC...

I have read it and I realise what you're saying about it being a problem with the 2x etc... but what I'm saying is that your 2x is going to magnify errors right? And if the shutter speed was too slow without the TC, you'll definitely notice it with the TC...
OK cool

Because I can:D

Yes but it reminds me of the scene in inbetweeners when Jay says he can ride a motorbike and goes head first through the shop door :p

Last edited:
Back