nikon d4s

My D4S arrived today... haven't got the time (or, to be honest, the inclination!) to do much of a test at the moment but if anyone's interested here's a quick shot at ISO 25600... no NR jiggery pokery or anything:

High Res JPEG HERE
Looks very impressive, red, green and yellow colour noise looks very much improved and the grain looks finer overall, would love to try one under floodlights for a real test of the ISO abilities

Wow - I'd use that without even thinking!

If you get a chance, is it possible you could share a RAW of the 409,600??

I'd love to see if it was at all useable...

I took the same shot at HI1, HI2, HI3 and HI4 too so I'll upload these NEFs to a Dropbox folder... PM me your email and I'll send you an invite to download them (anyone else interested feel free to PM me an email address too). Won't open in Lightroom yet (until the Release Candidate of LR 5.4 is out) and you'll need to install the RC of Camera RAW 8.4 for PS.

To be honest, HI4 is a bit sHI4te... as you might expect!

ISO 409600 / HI4
D4SISO409600.jpg

That ISO 409,600 looks pretty impressive as its the only camera can get to that ISO. For paparazzi photographers It will be heaven!
Really cant see that being of use to anyone Joe, ive papped for a short time and even in badly lit cellars ive never needed to go beyond 12,800 on the D3S, it might be useful if you were shooting the Olympic 100mts final in a cave and needed a high shutter speed.

Really cant see that being of use to anyone Joe, ive papped for a short time and even in badly lit cellars ive never needed to go beyond 12,800 on the D3S, it might be useful if you were shooting the Olympic 100mts final in a cave and needed a high shutter speed.

I was thinking along the lines of these celebrity paparazzi photographers that catch people of guard at night, Using the high ISO mite benefit there, but for any other photography I agree it will not be nessassary

Yeah... I'm impressed! I've just spoiled it by posting the HI4 though! :)

That looks a lot like 1600 ISO on the Canon 1D MkII - but without the colour shift. I't might not look like 100 ISO in terms of absolute quality but that is an 8 stop improvement over the best low light capability DSLR only 10 years ago.

That ISO 409,600 looks pretty impressive as its the only camera can get to that ISO. For paparazzi photographers It will be heaven!

Paparazzi photographers spend most of their time shooting 16-35 or 24-70 with a battery boosted speedlite attached by a bracket, or on the hotshot down in the sub-400 ISO range. Very little covert work - most of what you see in the papers of that nature is taken by a member of the public on a smartphone who had access to the relevant club/party.

I was thinking along the lines of these celebrity paparazzi photographers that catch people of guard at night, Using the high ISO mite benefit there, but for any other photography I agree it will not be nessassary
Even in those dark unlit street situations Joe, ISO 12800 is way more than enough, you just drop your shutter speed.

Don't know about that Gary...

Indoor kickboxing at f1.8 and I'm still on 1/1000 at 12,800...a stop less on the shutter of where I ideally need to be and at least a stop of aperture.
But snapping a celebrity snogging in a darkly lit doorway wont need a shutter speed of 1/1000th Phil, drop the shutter to drop the ISO, Celebs simply arent doing anything which requires fast shutter speeds like 1/1000th and as Mike says, if youre close enough then use Flash which is even better for the ISO

But snapping a celebrity snogging in a darkly lit doorway wont need a shutter speed of 1/1000th Phil, drop the shutter to drop the ISO, Celebs simply arent doing anything which requires fast shutter speeds like 1/1000th and as Mike says, if youre close enough then use Flash which is even better for the ISO
Absolutely agree....just saying that for me at least, 12,800 is still a long way off where I need to be.

Looked at a D4s on wex last night...Unfortunately that's as far as it will get for me :(

On paper, the D3>D3S upgrade looked like nothing special. Bu in reality all those minor changes added up to something very much improved. I wonder if the d4>d4s upgrade will be the same?

Just been having a play with the 'Group-area AF'... Seems simple and effective. Works just like the Single-point AF except you get a group of four focus points to move around instead of just one. According to the manual:
'...reduces the risk of the camera focusing on the background instead of the main subject. Choose for subjects that are difficult to photograph using a single focus point. If faces are detected in AF-S focus mode, the camera will give priority to portrait subjects'.

You can also opt to have the four points illuminated as tiny dots instead of squares so they're less distracting... nice touch. Time will tell if it's going to be of any practical use I guess.

Just been having a play with the 'Group-area AF'... Seems simple and effective. Works just like the Single-point AF except you get a group of four focus points to move around instead of just one. According to the manual:
'...reduces the risk of the camera focusing on the background instead of the main subject. Choose for subjects that are difficult to photograph using a single focus point. If faces are detected in AF-S focus mode, the camera will give priority to portrait subjects'.

You can also opt to have the four points illuminated as tiny dots instead of squares so they're less distracting... nice touch. Time will tell if it's going to be of any practical use I guess.
Sounds ideal for Birds in Flight, all I need is to find one in stock somewhere now

sounds interesting like Group Dynamic AF that was on the D2X, D200 (and Fuji S5) - used that a lot and was most annoyed when it disappeared for the D3/300

Has the D4s got the illuminated buttons on the rear like the D4? what about the green cast on the review screen has that been put right?

....what about the green cast on the review screen has that been put right?

You can f.eck with the rear screen like you can set up a TV - and make it as red, blue or green as you like. It has full colour controls.

As it was one of the firmware updates on the D4 altered the hue on the screen to appease those who were complaining. So it hasn't been an "issue" for some time now.

Got mine yesterday. Looking forward to finding time today to have a play.

Kev.

Has the D4s got the illuminated buttons on the rear like the D4?

Yar, Illuminated buttons just the same as D4. Not much difference in handling to the D4 except the sub-selector mini joysticks have a more textured surface now so are 'grippier'... doesn't sound like much but on the D4 I tended to centre press the sub selector by accident whilst trying to move the cursor, the grippier joystick makes it easier to move it around without accidentally centre pressing... small thing but it all adds up.

Got mine yesterday. Looking forward to finding time today to have a play.

Kev.
Enjoy!! :)

One other new development is the introduction of the RAW S file format... You can choose RAW L (4928x3280; 16.2M) or RAW S (2464x1640; 4.0M). I can't see myself ever using RAW S but some might find it useful. It might be more significant if they introduce it into the rumoured D800S later this year so you can shoot RAW at the full resolution or at a resolution presumably closer to the old D700. No real use to me but it might appease some of the grumblers who didn't like the D800's high resolution! It's just a pity you can't record RAW S and RAW L at the same time on different cards, it's either one or the other... Still, can't have everything I suppose.

Has it still got the green cast on the review screen? :nailbiting:

The sRAW is a bit disappointing. 4mp 12bit RAW isn't a lot of use to most people surely?

It would have to be improved a lot ahead of it being implemented in a d800 successor - a 9mp d800 sRAW would be disappointing. When I first read about the sRAW it was misreported as being half the mp of the full res (ie. 8mp on a D4). A 18mp sRAW formate in a D800 would be great.

I had a quick play with one two weeks ago at the BVE show in London. It felt nice and I do prefer the nippled button compared to the smooth one. Admittedly, the BVE show is more aimed at broadcast so they were showing what the cameras could do mainly for video. Nikon were / are very protective though: the D4s had the 50/1.4 on it (strange to have such a slow AF lens which doesn't help show off the alleged new AF sensor), and the rep wouldn't let me take any photos on it. I asked why can't I just pop my card in and take a few snaps and he said "it doesn't yet have the final firmware on it".

It does have some nice new features, some new video modes, etc, but nothing worth it for me to change from my D800 for video (or high res studio work) or D3s for stills...

DXOmark have tested the D4s, probably best not to look if you take notice of these kinds of 'tests' and were hoping for something groundbreaking. According to their rankings, the DF is still better in low light, not to mention the D3s. Hopefully in real world conditions it will be another story, much like the D3->D3s release.

Last edited:
They said that the D3s was better than the D4 in low light, but in real world conditions I find the D4 much better. They perform about the same in terms of noise, but I find the D4 retains better colour at high ISO, more shadow/highlight detail and it focuses much better in low light. I find the D3s images to be rather anaemic at hight ISO. I much prefer the D4 for low light shooting.

Yup, anaemic SOOC, compared to the d4. D4 colours are much richer at High ISO and the shadow detail is much better. I shoot both, side by side in challenging lighting conditions. I can only describe/compare as I see it.

Back