nikon d4s

Not bad.....................:)

I wonder just how much excitement this will cause :thinking:

With a D4 at just over £4k (or £3.5k 'grey') and the D4S probably launching at just under £6k, I think it will only be the dedicated who rush to get one.

I wonder just how much excitement this will cause :thinking:

With a D4 at just over £4k (or £3.5k 'grey') and the D4S probably launching at just under £6k, I think it will only be the dedicated who rush to get one.
at just over £5K, not a lot. Body prices are getting daft, I think it has to be because the development cycle is so short now they have to cover the cost in a lower number of sales.

I'd guess at a stop improvement in high ISO performance over the D4, which puts it at less than a stop better than the D3s - hopefully a big jump in DR will make this a tempting upgrade, especially in a year or so when they start to hit the used market.

So just what does this offer that my D3S doesn't, Erm, not a lot, 4 extra mp

why on earth have they messed about offering extra AF options is beyond me, thats where Canon went belly up after they screwed about offering zillinos of AF options, so many that most 1DX users haven't a bleeding clue what theyre doing.

Was shocked at the price for the relatively modest upgrade. Still heading in the right direction but seems like they released for releasing's sake there.

Still if you are getting a new camera (at that level) you would take it over any thing else.

Wonder if the battery will be available for D4 too..

It's not a big change but then there wasn't a huge amount wrong with the D4. Would have been nice of them to commit to XQD or CF though.

At £5199 it's better than I expected but still way above my budget, and I doubt it will cause a flood of D4 to hit the used market so looks like us mortals are still left with the D3/D800/D700/D6x0 decision.

It's pretty much the same price as the D4 was at launch... £5289 for the D4 after the <ahem> 'systems error' that pushed their prices up a week or so after the orders started.

It's a bit better. Hmmm. I'm sure current D4 owners aren't exactly peeved, once they realise it's only slight improvements.

I'm sure current D4 owners aren't exactly peeved, once they realise it's only slight improvements.

I do wonder if this wasn't some of the thinking behind it.

TBH the major upgrade is to the video capability, the rest is just tweaking. I doubt I'll get one unless one of my bodies dies, it's not going to make much difference to the finished image from my current set up. :)

The price is better than it was felt it would be by most so that is a plus point but everything else is much as predicted ... XQD + CF rather than identical slots, 16MP rather than 24MP. The 'new' Nikon A/F etc must have a few thinking "Do I really want to be the one to test if a new system works?" - I was thinking of holding out for one but picked up a new D4 instead and I can't say there is anything about the new model that makes me feel I made the wrong choice ... time will tell!

I must admit I've not seen anything that make me want to get rid of my D3s bodies. But one thing I don't understand is why people seem disappointed about it 'only' being a 16mp camera. Most folks will never need 24mp.

But one thing I don't understand is why people seem disappointed about it 'only' being a 16mp camera. Most folks will never need 24mp.

MP is everything :D
But seriously there appears very little with this upgrade to go 'wow' about.

I must admit I've not seen anything that make me want to get rid of my D3s bodies. But one thing I don't understand is why people seem disappointed about it 'only' being a 16mp camera. Most folks will never need 24mp.
I'll be coming from a DX sensor when I go full frame and those extra few pixels give me a perceived safety net as I get used to the change in fov and the loss of reach. While it's probably all in my head it's a concern.

Now I have seen the spec difference.... http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_INC/o/PLLFUrEQR4jsr16srTmx1EQMQzM/PDF/D4S_D4_Comparison_Sheet_en.pdf I feel better about it coming out. There isn't a great deal of difference to my D4.

The argument that will never be settled regarding extra mp's...... I thought they would go a little higher with the D4s and am expecting a huge jump with the possible D4x. I sometimes sell work that is enlarged to 8 feet x 12 feet and for this I use my D800e. The difference between the D4 and D800e at iso 100 is quite noticeable but for high iso it's always the D4.

This shot taken on the D800e

Matterhorn
by Mark A Jones (Andreas Jones Photography), on Flickr has just been blown up to 10 feet by 16 for a boardroom wall and I was very impressed with the quality.

Reactions: ST4
I read the specs last night and thought 'is that it?' :-\ It all seems a bit meh!

I can't see too many current owners rushing to upgrade.

They could have put something eye catching in there to attract some new users. Even though I don't use video, and have no intention of buying a D4S, I don't see why they couldn't put 4k video in seeing as Panasonic have put it in a M/F3 camera.:-\

It will be interesting to see if the AF is an improvement. Regardless of how complicated the AF of the 1DX is, I've read it is the best AF out there ATM.

Main difference is the new processor and everything related to it (+1 fps, slightly bigger buffer). The really interesting one will be the comparison of high ISO performance, but again I think this will mainly come down to the CPU. Canon must feel relieved right now :)

Nikon said:
The D4S also supports extended sensitivities as low as the equivalent of ISO 50 and as high as the equivalent of ISO 409,600
One jump ISO higher and a little tickering sensitivity wise but no major changes was it worth it?

The big thing will be the AF can it compete with the Canon 1DX :)
Why does it need to compete, i'll back my D3S keeper rate against anyone with a 1DX, it's not all about having the best AF on paper, its about the idiot behind the camera being able to use it to it's full potential and from what i gather on the 1DX thread there are a lot of idiots with 1DX's who simply dont have a clue about the massivly over complicated AF in their 1DX's

Nikon tech guys had a simple AF brief when researching the AF for the Pro range which was to make an AF system which would allow the user to, A: turn the camera on, B: select 1 of a few AF modes, C: shoot, D: capture an in focus image, simple really.

I can and cant under stand the flack this is getting. I know people thought there might be a major upgrade due to the rumours but an S update never does that,but at the same time everyone talks about how much better the d3s is over the d3 and that only had a slight iso improvement similar to this. This could be the same marked improvement.

I can and cant under stand the flack this is getting. I know people thought there might be a major upgrade due to the rumours but an S update never does that,but at the same time everyone talks about how much better the d3s is over the d3 and that only had a slight iso improvement similar to this. This could be the same marked improvement.

I think part of the problem is that it is another small step up (going by the specs), coming after the original disappointment of the D4 (when compared to the D3s), and then more recently the slightly odd DF. Everyone was 'wowed' by the mpix and ability of the D800, but the reality many are put off by the file sizes, especially if you're shooting professionally with it on a daily basis.

As Gary says, the AF on the D3s is simply brilliant, the D4 may be better, but I don't need it to be better, its more than good enough as-is. Dynamic range is what I'm really interested in, if the D4s is comparable to the D800 then I'll be all over it.

Last edited:
Slight as in 1.5-2 stops, i shot these 2 cameras side by side for over a year under low light floodlight conditions, the D3 was giving up the ghost at ISO 3200 yet the D3S allowed me to capture images like this http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/kids-under-floodlights.531289/ at up to ISO 10,000 and i could have gone much further

I think part of the problem is that it is another small step up (going by the specs), coming after the original disappointment of the D4 (when compared to the D3s), and then more recently the slightly odd DF. Everyone was 'wowed' by the mpix and ability of the D800, but the reality many are put off by the file sizes, especially if you're shooting professionally with it on a daily basis.

As Gary says, the AF on the D3s is simply brilliant, the D4 may be better, but I don't need it to be better, its more than good enough as-is. Dynamic range is what I'm really interested in, if the D4s is comparable to the D800 then I'll be all over it.

I can understand that but unless they replaced the sensor completely that wasn't going to happen. The d800 also only beats the d4 in DR at lower iso setting over 1600 and the d4 should be better.
Slight as in 1.5-2 stops, i shot these 2 cameras side by side for over a year under low light floodlight conditions, the D3 was giving up the ghost at ISO 3200 yet the D3S allowed me to capture images like this http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/kids-under-floodlights.531289/ at up to ISO 10,000 and i could have gone much further

My point is how do you know the d4s wont be a similar improvement, or did you all dismiss the d3s as a pointless upgrade on release.

Precisely... the baseline ISO max of the D3S was only one stop better than the D3 (12800 vs 6400) yet, as Gary says, the actual performance comfortably exceeded this. There is the same one stop difference between the D4 and D4S... let's wait and see how much better it's really going to be!

I can understand that but unless they replaced the sensor completely that wasn't going to happen. The d800 also only beats the d4 in DR at lower iso setting over 1600 and the d4 should be better.

My point is how do you know the d4s wont be a similar improvement, or did you all dismiss the d3s as a pointless upgrade on release.
I dont know but thats not the point i was making, you said the D3S was only a slight improvement over the D3 so i questioned it

Why does it need to compete, i'll back my D3S keeper rate against anyone with a 1DX, it's not all about having the best AF on paper, its about the idiot behind the camera being able to use it to it's full potential and from what i gather on the 1DX thread there are a lot of idiots with 1DX's who simply dont have a clue about the massivly over complicated AF in their 1DX's

Nikon tech guys had a simple AF brief when researching the AF for the Pro range which was to make an AF system which would allow the user to, A: turn the camera on, B: select 1 of a few AF modes, C: shoot, D: capture an in focus image, simple really.

I Agee with you Gary, but it was just some pros made high profiles blogs and videos on YouTube saying the AF was one of the big reasons they had swapped over from Nikon to Canon :)

I Agee with you Gary, but it was just some pros made high profiles blogs and videos on YouTube saying the AF was one of the big reasons they had swapped over from Nikon to Canon :)
Andy "turncoat" Rouse springs to mind, dont get me wrong, i originally switched to Nikon because they offered to buy all my Canon gear for the retail price even though all my Canon gear was well used.

Andy "turncoat" Rouse springs to mind, dont get me wrong, i originally switched to Nikon because they offered to buy all my Canon gear for the retail price even though all my Canon gear was well used.

Both Canon and Nikon have adopted this method in the past and will no doubt do it again

I can't help but think that Canon are being much more inventive with their bodies than Nikon presently.

The 1DX (coming from the 1D4 vs D3s---> D4---> D4s), 70D, 100D even! I just feel that whatever they bring out this year will be far more different to the last model and if Nikon don't think of something new rather than just upgrading or following suit, they are going to lose some business and the D4s is don't find anything new with at all.

I've been a little frustrated with recent announcements by nikon and the D4s is just a bit of a slap in the face fir customers as I expect the top of the line to have the greatest improvements.

Oh well...I wouldn't be owning a D4s anyway but it just doesn't give me much faith in future products that I may buy.

Has it been confirmed that the D4s has still got the silly dual card slots for two different type of cards?

Has it been confirmed that the D4s has still got the silly dual card slots for two different type of cards?
Yes, it still has 1 CF and 1 XQD. Remains to be seen how much life is left in XQD but even Nikon's inept management probably thought removing it now was not a good idea:D

What a pigs ear Nikon are making of their top pro camera.They say they have been listiingng to the pros so they can deliver what they want! Has anyone told Nikon that the pros who are telling them what they want are using Canon.LOL

I note from the specs that the D4S has "Simultaneous recording to memory card and external recorder" ... does this mean that when shooting tethered you can (at long last) save to the memory cards as a backup?

This D4s was always going to be an incremental improvement and evolution not revolution. The D5 will have to differentiate itself more and impress on specs, but if you can't get your images or make your living from a D4 then you have to wonder if a bad worker is blaming his tools? I do wonder what more do people want from a camera sometimes when you see these specs improving year on year.

My D4S arrived today... haven't got the time (or, to be honest, the inclination!) to do much of a test at the moment but if anyone's interested here's a quick shot at ISO 25600... no NR jiggery pokery or anything:

D4SISO25600small.jpg

High Res JPEG HERE

Back