Nikon D5

Totally agree, they must have insight as to whats going where and when, surely 1+1 = 3 yeah ?

I emailed Camera World a couple of days ago to see if they had a D500 on stock in shop.They said they had two.Today I went to to the shop and they did not have a D500 at all and have not had any for weeks! They want to take pre orders but have no cameras. This is utter madness by Nikon.The camera has been out months now!

Also no D5 on stock!

Last edited:
I emailed Camera World a couple of days ago to see if they had a D500 on stock in shop.They said they had two.Today I went to to the shop and they did not have a D500 at all and have not had any for weeks! They want to take pre orders but have no cameras. This is utter madness by Nikon.The camera has been out months now!

Also no D5 on stock!

and in the US this month they are already doing rebates!

I ordered a D5 from Wex on 10-04-16 and when I phoned them last Thursday they said that there was still a shortage of sensors. On Friday they sent me an email to say they had one ready for me I collected it on Sunday. I won't be writing a review it's all been said but I will add I Liiiiiiiiiiiiiike it.

Cheers Keith

How can there be a shortage of sensors when they are on sale all over the world,Ireland,Japan,France,America,Germany.... Complete rubbish .I think only God knows why the UK is devoid of the D5 and D500. :bat:

I ordered a D5 from Wex on 10-04-16 and when I phoned them last Thursday they said that there was still a shortage of sensors. On Friday they sent me an email to say they had one ready for me I collected it on Sunday. I won't be writing a review it's all been said but I will add I Liiiiiiiiiiiiiike it.

Cheers Keith
I've been trying to buy a holiday compact.... Sony rx100 iv is out of stock everywhere until the autumn and the Nikon dl's are delayed until the end of the year all because of the sensor shortages... Frustrating!

I've been trying to buy a holiday compact.... Sony rx100 iv is out of stock everywhere until the autumn and the Nikon dl's are delayed until the end of the year all because of the sensor shortages... Frustrating!
Canon G7x?

Cheers Keith

I don't know why they're still spinning that yarn, you can buy a D5 off the shelf in the USA! For some reason, they appear to have major distribution problem, more than anything else.

But congratulations, its pretty sweet ;-)

I don't know why they're still spinning that yarn, you can buy a D5 off the shelf in the USA! For some reason, they appear to have major distribution problem, more than anything else.

But congratulations, its pretty sweet ;-)
Just done a quick search and Jessops have them in stock in certain stores and home delivery, Park Cameras are showing in stock, as are Harrisons. I'm sure there must be more, but only searched these few. All appear to be XQD versions rather than CF though.

The XQDs seem to be the prefered. Many of the ordered CFs went on ebay sales not soon after as people realised the Max CF speeds wouldn't handle the 12fps @ 25+Mb rate but the XQDs writing at 350Mb/s could

Got my hands on the D5 today; wow oh wow. Will post a more in depth review later with some photos but it really is quite good.

ISO is insane
Touch screen is great
14fps is ludicrous
AF is a joy

Cheers Keith

Hi both. Can you confirm if you got an XQD with yours (if it's the XQD version of course!)
Just had a look on Park and WEX....no mention of the free XQD on either site. I did skim read though so I'm going back in a minute to have another look. It's just I read on a U.S site that someone received one from B&H with no card or reader in the box :-(

I got an xqd card with mine, but I was lucky enough to just about get one of the first ones, on release. I seem to remember, they did the same with the first shipments of the D4, then it dwindled down...

Yes I got a 32 gb G card and reader they were packed in the box when I fetched it. I got the impression that the card and reader only came with pre ordered cameras.

Cheers Keith

Thats interesting. Mine came with a 64gb 'G' card and new reader.
Maybe Mifsuds are doing this themselves.

Last edited:
Thats interesting. Mine came with a 64gb 'G' card and new reader.
Maybe Mifsuds are doing this themselves.

Maybe on the email I had from them it just said:

Nikon D5 D-SLR - FREE Sony 32 GB XQD Card And USB3 Reader

Who knows then!? I guess I'll find out Monday.

FWIW, I did pre-order, it's just there is no mention anymore on the site about a free Sony card and reader.

In fact, I'm going to call them now, although I'm not confident that they will 100% know for sure.

On a side note, I've ordered the 64gb Lexar 2993x from Amazon (Not 3rd party) for £98 which is arriving today. No point in waiting until Monday to only find out there isn't one included. My first foray away from Sandisk.

Last edited:
Pre-ordered and it was due to come with 32 XQD but wrote to Nikon numerous times about the lack of communication and knowledge of product availability and they upgraded to 64

Well, I called WEX on Saturday. They didn't know if this and subsequent shipments have cards and readers with them.

Just waiting on a call from my wife to say the D5 has arrived! My Lexar card arrived on Saturday so at least I can have a test shot or two in the coming days.

Got the camera, just about to have a look at the settings.

100% NO card or reader included. Rather annoyed really.

Got the camera, just about to have a look at the settings.

100% NO card or reader included. Rather annoyed really.

If the offer was on when you pre-ordered then you should get it.

If not then not the end of the world, dont let it spoil the enjoyment of your new toy :)

I won't let it bother me. It was ordered in March and the card offer was on until only a couple of weeks ago.

I will move on! Sadly, I don't get to play until Thursday. Looks like I'll be setting it up over the next two evenings!:)

I won't let it bother me. It was ordered in March and the card offer was on until only a couple of weeks ago.

I will move on! Sadly, I don't get to play until Thursday. Looks like I'll be setting it up over the next two evenings!:)
Don't let it bother you, but certainly push to get what you're owed IMO.

I have just finished emailing Nikon mate. I hope I don't sound stroppy in it and that's not my intention. However, I did point out that I was on the waiting list for 17 weeks and 6 days and I chose to buy a UK body. We will wait and see.

My D750 returns with a new shutter tomorrow (I couldn't find a fault but what the Hell!?) so happy days all round (just about!)

I have just finished emailing Nikon mate. I hope I don't sound stroppy in it and that's not my intention. However, I did point out that I was on the waiting list for 17 weeks and 6 days and I chose to buy a UK body. We will wait and see.

My D750 returns with a new shutter tomorrow (I couldn't find a fault but what the Hell!?) so happy days all round (just about!)
I wish I'd never sent my D750 in for the recalls, AF's never worked right since. It's back with Nikon again but they're saying they can't find a fault. Sent them sample pics on Friday, still waiting to hear what they make of them.

When the centre and left clusters slightly front focus and the right cluster back focuses, and AF-C hit rate has gone from high 90's% to around 30% I'm not sure why it's "testing to Nikon standards", but at least they're wiling to look at sample pics rather than just sending it back as working ok.

I wish I'd never sent my D750 in for the recalls, AF's never worked right since. It's back with Nikon again but they're saying they can't find a fault. Sent them sample pics on Friday, still waiting to hear what they make of them.

When the centre and left clusters slightly front focus and the right cluster back focuses, and AF-C hit rate has gone from high 90's% to around 30% I'm not sure why it's "testing to Nikon standards", but at least they're wiling to look at sample pics rather than just sending it back as working ok.
:exit:

Thanks very much for the heads-up...I'll test it thoroughly tomorrow.

Back on topic................

I was directed here after posting in the equipment section............so I figured this would be a better place.............now need to read the 100s of posts :( :( :(

I'm heading back to Tanzania in Feb and fancy something new to take with me, last time I was there in Jan this year I took 2 x D800 bodies and my D4s................never again :( . In January I used my D800 with 600mm f4 95% of the time, and the other 10% was with 300mm and 70/200.
When I go in Feb I plan to take (maybe a new D5) with my 600mm attached plus another camera for animal scapes and people.
I am interested to hear about what you guys think about the new D5 and is the upgrade from D4s worth it??
Later

Neil

Last edited:
I was directed here after posting in the equipment section............so I figured this would be a better place.............now need to read the 100s of posts :( :( :(

I'm heading back to Tanzania in Feb and fancy something new to take with me, last time I was there in Jan this year I took 2 x D800 bodies and my D4s................never again :( . In January I used my D800 with 600mm f4 95% of the time, and the other 10% was with 300mm and 70/200.
When I go in Feb I plan to take (maybe a new D5) with my 600mm attached plus another camera for animal scapes and people.
I am interested to hear about what you guys think about the new D5 and is the upgrade from D4s worth it??
Later

Neil

Although I don't own a D4s, I can guess the overwhelming answer will be a resounding "No".
I'm coming from a D3 and I do think the upgrade is worth it. But from the 4S....I doubt it.

I can answer that.
I have owned the D3, D3s, D4, D4s and now the D5.
Yes it is a worthy upgrade. The focus system is outstanding.
Iso noise levels are better.
Do it. :)

Last edited:

Later

Neil

The first 6 pages or so were before the camera was released, so only a hundred or so posts :)

Steven
When shooting birds in flight for example, on my D4s I used the AF group function to help nail the focus. I saw an article yesterday where the guy used the 3D tracking system of the D5 and it seemed to work really well.........have you tried the 3D AF function, and if so how do you rate it??

Can anyone comment on what AF to use for birds in flight, and if so why that over any of the others??

Back