Nikon D5

I really dislike/disagree with "crop comparisons"... there are just too many variables as to if a higher resolution sensor is going to gain you anything. And the D810/D5 comparison images really were not comparable. I don't think there was nearly as much detail difference as made out... it looks more like significantly different processing/contrast to me.

If the AF is as significantly better as the review says the D5 AF is then it could well be a wildlife changer.
I agree... his statement that if you can get close enough then you probably won't need the AF or frame rate for wildlife is 100% wrong... when subjects are closer/larger in the viewfinder then things happen a whole lot faster.

Bargain XQD cards.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086277-REG/sony_qd_g64a_64gb_g_series_xqd.html

I ordered 2 64gb on the 11th and they arrived today. Fours days from checkout to delivery. :) I paid for vat and import tax at checkout. Total cost for two cards, with a reader in each box, £226.26 for the 2!
great price for the new G series cards. The other sizes are reduced too.

Amazon UK comparison....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-64GB-F...=1460742221&sr=8-3&keywords=sony+xqd+g+series

Last edited:
Bargain XQD cards.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086277-REG/sony_qd_g64a_64gb_g_series_xqd.html

I ordered 2 64gb on the 11th and they arrived today. Fours days from checkout to delivery. :) I paid for vat and import tax at checkout. Total cost for two cards, with a reader in each box, £226.26 for the 2!

Amazon UK comparison....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-64GB-F...=1460742221&sr=8-3&keywords=sony+xqd+g+series

Rip off Britain strikes again.

Bargain XQD cards.....

Amazon UK comparison....

That looks a good deal, though I've not really looked into these cards yet, just ordered some Lexar ones with mine. Whats's the deal about G Series, is it something better? I was thinking the only differences were about read and write times, should i be looking at something else?

That looks a good deal, though I've not really looked into these cards yet, just ordered some Lexar ones with mine. Whats's the deal about G Series, is it something better? I was thinking the only differences were about read and write times, should i be looking at something else?
I'd get the Lexar 2933x cards slightly faster and cheaper.

Any non-pros received theirs from Wex yet, or, had word when they might receive theirs? They told me I'll get mine this month and I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on it!!

Any non-pros received theirs from Wex yet, or, had word when they might receive theirs? They told me I'll get mine this month and I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on it!!

I ordered mine on 13th April, and was told the end of April, tried getting an answer out of Calumet or Nikon, is utterly pointless, they simply don't seem to know. Just gotta wait I guess.

Thanks for the reply Mark. Sex appear confident they'll have stocks mid-May. Wait and see it is.

Had mine a couple weeks now...
IMO, nothing revolutionary but the AF is a nice step forward. So far I am struggling to get anything more out of the raw files than the camera does producing jpegs...

IMO, nothing revolutionary but the AF is a nice step forward. So far I am struggling to get anything more out of the raw files than the camera does producing jpegs...

Just out of interest, when did you order yours? The Argentine photographers at the polo this week have all got D5's some two!

Yep I've no great expectations, but I'm hoping I'll notice an increase in resolution from the D3s and maybe a bit more snappy on the AF too.

It's appaling that these (D500 also) cameras are not available in the UK. What a way to run a business!

It's appaling that these (D500 also) cameras are not available in the UK. What a way to run a business!

I appreciate they've had an earthquake in Japan that has delayed production, but to have bodies in one country sitting on the shelf is a bit poor to say the least. Not to mention Nikons total inability to make any sort of communication, even to NPS members, which costs next to nothing.

If Canon could make a decent camera, I consider switching ;-)

I thought they were for sale in the UK until I saw post #293. I then had a look at the retailers online and they all say "pre order" How much will a D5 from B&H cost to get into the UK?

Just out of interest, when did you order yours? The Argentine photographers at the polo this week have all got D5's some two!

Yep I've no great expectations, but I'm hoping I'll notice an increase in resolution from the D3s and maybe a bit more snappy on the AF too.
A bit over a week earlier, but I'm in US.
I think it will be a nice move from the D3s...

Last edited:
I went on Livechat to WEX on Saturday. I didn't mention I was on the preorder list and I asked how long it would be before the D5 reaches the masses. WEX are struggling to even meet preorders and told me possibly months ;-/
Come on Nikon UK

How're you finding the DR and shadow recovery?

I like the D5, but I have been more likely to grab the D500 when I head out to shoot lately, it seems a lot more friendly and just as useful.

How're you finding the DR and shadow recovery?
Not great... At lower ISO's it doesn't have the range the D4/s/8xx has, and at higher ISO's none of them have it. That's part of why I'm struggling to improve beyond the recorded jpegs IMO. Get it right/close and it's fine... but you're not going to pull 5 stops +/- like you can with a D810.

Not great... At lower ISO's it doesn't have the range the D4/s/8xx has, and at higher ISO's none of them have it. That's part of why I'm struggling to improve beyond the recorded jpegs IMO. Get it right/close and it's fine... but you're not going to pull 5 stops +/- like you can with a D810.
Thanks, useful feedback.

Bargain XQD cards.....

Amazon UK comparison....

If you used Amazon you could have saved at least 2 if not 3 days waiting and had free shipping.

Edit... Sorry that's US, didn't see you were UK.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Not surprising... the D5 is slightly noisier than the D4/s. And it correlates with what I've been getting/seeing. But what I find interesting is, the D5 is actually at an even lower ISO than the D4/s are which masks the difference.
(ISO 6400= D4/4838, D4s/4884, D5/4425)
Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 11.45.29 AM.png

Last edited:
The D5 is far superior in every way. DR, color sensitivity, but is this data straight from the sensor or from the E5 processor?

The D5 is far superior in every way. DR, color sensitivity, but is this data straight from the sensor or from the E5 processor?
Colour depth is better than the D4s, but DR is worse up to 1600 ISO after which it's equal, the D5 is 1 ev down at base though. ISO performance is markedly down, although some of that can be attributed to the extra MP. Not much though as the D750 is markedly better than the D5 and that's even more MP still.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Comp...us-Nikon-D750-versus-Nikon-D4s___1062_975_945

Not much though as the D750 is markedly better than the D5 and that's even more MP still.
Markedly better? Not really. And it depends if you are comparing "doing the same thing," or using the extra resolution to do something different that you couldn't with another camera (as well).

IMO, most of these differences are small enough to be almost entirely irrelevant. These are "ideal test bench" results, but in real life there are plenty of factors that can/will push the results one way or the other.

If the difference in ISO and DR is so small it is irrelevent. Then what really counts is the increased 4MP and an improved auto focus. It is a lot to expect an increase and at the same time a significant improvement in ISO. Is the auto focus noticably improved?

If the difference in ISO and DR is so small it is irrelevent. Then what really counts is the increased 4MP and an improved auto focus. It is a lot to expect an increase and at the same time a significant improvement in ISO. Is the auto focus noticably improved?
I would say the AF *is* significantly improved... I've never managed to get a Chimney Swift in flight before (they're a little smaller/faster than your common swift).

Chimney Swift
by Steven Kersting, on Flickr

Last edited:
Every generation of tech is slightly better than the last, you won't see a doubling of sensitivity if that's what you are after, but as time goes on it will steadily improve. So, of course the differences are small, but progress is being made as the camera continues to evolve.
I personally prefer the D500 as I mentioned, but that's a personal preference for the DX over the FX format.

Last edited:
Markedly better? Not really. And it depends if you are comparing "doing the same thing," or using the extra resolution to do something different that you couldn't with another camera (as well).

IMO, most of these differences are small enough to be almost entirely irrelevant. These are "ideal test bench" results, but in real life there are plenty of factors that can/will push the results one way or the other.
True, I was referring to test scores though as this shows the potential if you could get the ideal scenario, and in which case I would say 500 is a significant difference :p

Back