8071396493_1e6bc50dbe.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

8071388542_b98d6d3564.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

8071387702_592b6798c8.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Finding this upload lark a bit :bonk:

nice :clap: is that kings college?

Thank you - yes it is. I put titles up but they did not appear when uploaded. Have looked at the FAQ re uploading pics and, hopefully, will do better next time.

Does anybody know about back focus issues with this camera? I saw an article that said the D5100 has bad back focus issues?

This might sound sad but when I get a new electrical item or before I do then I put a search on google for common faults/issues and found these bits about the D5100

You Tube

No 1

No 2

Perhaps this applies just to some models? Tested mine with the 35mm 1.8 just now on various objects and not getting any back or front focussing issues.

Perhaps this applies just to some models? Tested mine with the 35mm 1.8 just now on various objects and not getting any back or front focussing issues.

It could be just that.

Various reasons have been given - lens, firmware etc. Some have it some don't

only been using mine today and it all seems ok at the moment :D

So you got your lens after all :clap:

How are you finding it now?

I seem to spent more time reading the Manuals, Books and stuff on-line rather than actually using the thing!

Thought I had a good idea of how htings work when I got it but, apparently, not :(. Struggling a bit here

Zoomboxer said:

I seem to spent more time reading the Manuals, Books and stuff on-line rather than actually using the thing!

Thought I had a good idea of how htings work when I got it but, apparently, not :(. Struggling a bit here

Trial and error is one of the best way to learn!

I study the manuals and read everything so I can try and work it all out, if you need any help then i might be able to?

Last edited:
I was looking at buying a 18-70 sigma or a 24-85 nikon but not decided yet, anyone know of them? or should i just get a 18-200/250/300 for walk about?

I was looking at buying a 18-70 sigma or a 24-85 nikon but not decided yet, anyone know of them? or should i just get a 18-200/250/300 for walk about?

The 18-200 works pretty well as a walkabout on the 5100, the only problem is it makes it all so easy you get really lazy if you aren't careful! In fact I took it off and mounted a 35mm prime as my day to day, just to blow the cobwebs away...

after much deliberation between a d90 ,d3200 and a d5100 as an upgrade for my d70 ,ive finaly ordered a d5100 today .
hopefully will be here by the end of this week,
looking forward to having a play with it ..........

Nice to see a lot of interest in this camera! I am interested in buying an additional lens but need to consider what I would like to buy it for... Aviation work or what hmm :/

I have a D5100 too. I've had it for around 6 months and was an upgrade from my D40.

I currently have the 55-300mm DX VR, 35mm F1.8 Prime and the 18-55mm kit lens along with some filters and a remote release. Plus a tripod I found at a car-boot sale for a fiver!

:)

Another D5100 owner here, using it with a Tamron 17-50, and 50 1.8G, I also have a 55-200 VR, but it might lose its place in the bag for the winter!

Thought I should say hello here too. The 5100 is my first proper camera.
Got mine with an 18-105 lens from Jessops.
Will probably go for a 70 - 300 next for sports, rather than a prime just yet.

Hi all, I got myself a D5100 and was looking for advice on what macro lens to get, preferably a Nikkor lens. Also looking to get a 55 - 300 too sometime next year.

regards

Jim

Hi all, I got myself a D5100 and was looking for advice on what macro lens to get, preferably a Nikkor lens. Also looking to get a 55 - 300 too sometime next year.

regards

Jim

Maybe look at the Tamron 60mm f2 ... also doubles as a portrait lens.

I'm currently using a d60 for motorsports, been pretty happy with my shots from this year however the rubbish weather has hammered the iso and dropped the shutter speed.

I've also noticed i'll get a really good picture but the few either side wouldn't be in focus.

Would i see a improvement with a d5100? i've already got the 55-300 AFS lens so wouldn't need to worry about that.

Lastly i've got a £100 voucher for pcworld so could get it for £329!, would it be worth me upgrading?

I'd get a D7000 for the weather sealing if I had the chance to purchase again. If that doesn't bother you and the pro style body doesn't turn you on then by all means go for it - it's a fantastic body and the only qualms I have with it have nothing to do with the quality or options, I'd just like to be able to change settings more comfortably and have some weather sealing.

I'm currently using a d60 for motorsports, been pretty happy with my shots from this year however the rubbish weather has hammered the iso and dropped the shutter speed.

I've also noticed i'll get a really good picture but the few either side wouldn't be in focus.

Would i see a improvement with a d5100? i've already got the 55-300 AFS lens so wouldn't need to worry about that.

Lastly i've got a £100 voucher for pcworld so could get it for £329!, would it be worth me upgrading?

I think so. I have the D40 still and upgraded to the D5100. The range of ISO settings is amazing. Im sure you'll find a setting that will suit.

I realise that I'm a little bit late to the party, but I have just ordered a D5100 as my first real DSLR (upgrading from a Fuji bridge camera). I am currently watching the lynda.com course on this camera to learn where all the buttons are and what they do etc. and I am fairly proficient at using manual/sp/ap modes on my existing camera.

But I wondered if the seasoned users on here had any advice to share for someone new to this camera? Anything confusing I should watch out for or any particularly helpful features I should spend extra time learning?

Brian_of_Bozeat said:
I realise that I'm a little bit late to the party, but I have just ordered a D5100 as my first real DSLR (upgrading from a Fuji bridge camera). I am currently watching the lynda.com course on this camera to learn where all the buttons are and what they do etc. and I am fairly proficient at using manual/sp/ap modes on my existing camera.

But I wondered if the seasoned users on here had any advice to share for someone new to this camera? Anything confusing I should watch out for or any particularly helpful features I should spend extra time learning?

Welcome to the club. I personally set the Fn button to ISO and find this very handy.

Also a word of warning about the Nikon prepaid cards you might have received with cash back offer. Every 6 months a £2 'fee' gets deducted!!!

Thanks, they won't last long as I plan to spend them on the food shopping.

Last edited:
Just joined the club also. Seems great from first impressions.... hopefully i can resist the urge to spend more money on lenses (at least for the time being) and get out there and take some pictures!

I've just joined the D5100 club too after considering buying one for over a year! First impressions are great, its money well spent. Does anyone know what is the best lens hood available to protect my lens? I read in another thread that the UV filters are not always favoured but the clear lens "hood" are preferred? Is there a Nikon specific one that is better and less likely to impair the quality of photos than your Ebay cheapy equivilant?

Thanks!

Also, if there was a finger print on my lens and I wanted to wipe it off. What is the best thing to use? Again, are there certain lens wipes to use?

I don't plan on scratching or covering the lens is finger prints but as its new would like to look after it the best I can.

Can anyone recommend a good camera bag suitable for the D5100? Will need something that will have enough room for additional lens as I build my collection. Is there such a thing as a rucksack style? Thanks!

Lens hoods are usually made for your specific lens so you need to do a search for whatever lens you have.
A lens pen is good for finger marks etc on the lens element. Search Amazon for them. While you are there search the photographic section for bags/rucksacks, there is a massive choice. I use a Lowepro 400aw if that is any help.

Phil

Bought a D5100 body a few weeks ago, hopefully will get some good use. I will mainly use it for aircraft photography and I will need to learn it all. I bought 2 Nikon lenses so far, the 35mm prime and the 55-300mm zoom lens. I will have to keep an eye out for the 18-55mm kit lens for some flexibiliy

Bought a D5100 body a few weeks ago, hopefully will get some good use. I will mainly use it for aircraft photography and I will need to learn it all. I bought 2 Nikon lenses so far, the 35mm prime and the 55-300mm zoom lens. I will have to keep an eye out for the 18-55mm kit lens for some flexibiliy

Good choice. I also have the 55-300mm and I love it. It's slow focusing doesn't bother me that much, you just need to be bit more prepared. I also have the 35mm 1.8 too and just recently bought 10-24mm UWA.

Back