Nikon D5xxx Owners Thread

Hi Steve possibly if its the one that was only used twice, 160 shutter count?

If so many thanks!

Edit no I think sellers name was Craig.

no mine had 2500 ish count in 4 months (y) enjoy the camera though it takes crisp shots with the right lens...

Another newbie here, trying to decide between getting myself a 35mm or 50mm lens to go with the kit 18-55. Stuck with what to go with now! :(

Loving the camera though, just feel that the kit lens isn't quite up to the indoor shooting I need it for.

Noticed you all talking about how many shots a camera has taken, does this actually matter? I'm very new and wasn't aware that it made a difference. I've probably shot over 1000 just trying to learn all the different modes and trying various shots already!

I think unless you see like half a million actuations there's nothing to worry about. I just wanted to check the claim in the listing, he's said he'd used it twice and 160 shutter count proved that.

35mm lens for me I went straight for that and can't wait to try it. Remember with a 1.5 crop factor it's rougly equivalent to a 50mm standard lens.

Another newbie here, trying to decide between getting myself a 35mm or 50mm lens to go with the kit 18-55. Stuck with what to go with now! :(

Loving the camera though, just feel that the kit lens isn't quite up to the indoor shooting I need it for.

I would probably say the 35mm is a more useful all-rounder as a 50mm on a DX (Crop sensor) would be more of a portrait length.

Having started my own post yesterday http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=474763 and not heard anything, my fingers got the better of me today and I just bought a refurbished D5100 with 18-55 kit lens. I think I got it for a good price (£249) and it comes with a 6 month manufacturers warranty.

Now i'm just trying to decide on what accessories to get and my head is hurting!!

I'm looking for a good (but not expensive bag/case) which will carry the body and lens I have plus another couple of lenses when I decide which ones I want.

I want to make sure I get a decent (but not expensive) SD card that the camera likes and not one that reads/writes slowly when taking a burst of photos.

A decent (but not expensive) tripod that is tall enough for some studio work but also lowers light enough to use from inside a van (and will be getting lugged in and out everyday).

I'm not really sure what else I need right now so i'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Well my camera has arrived and oh my God I am excited!

I've sorted out my SD cards - Sandisk Extreme Pro 32Gb

I'm thinking of a Redsnapper tripod but can't decide between the RST-283 or the RSF-284 with the head RSH-61. Any recommendations? Is this kit good enough?

Lastly, bags or cases. Just can't decide so any help would be great!

so i had a play arounds with my friends canon 600d & speedlight yesterday...which has obviously led me to wanting one today.

But im reading that the d5100 cannot control an external flash unless its on the actual camera

with the canon i could hold the flash near a subject and the pop up flash would trigger it.

Was looking at the sb700 if it matters

Just visited myshuttercount.com to check what my shutter count was......194 (and i've taken 5).

Now for a refurbished camera that I paid £249 for that's got to be good?? Or, when they refurbish it can they reset the number?

so i had a play arounds with my friends canon 600d & speedlight yesterday...which has obviously led me to wanting one today.

But im reading that the d5100 cannot control an external flash unless its on the actual camera

with the canon i could hold the flash near a subject and the pop up flash would trigger it.

thats up to the other flash
the yongnuo will trigger on slave S1 or S2 which is a reaction to another flash going off on any camera.
so yes you can.

I have the Yongnou YN560 and D5100. It triggers in S1 and S2 (using the on-board flash as trigger). It also triggers with a hotshoe-PC sync lead adapter (plus lead - total cost £10). I am about to buy some RF602 wireless triggers for £25.

I have the Yongnou YN560 and D5100. It triggers in S1 and S2 (using the on-board flash as trigger). It also triggers with a hotshoe-PC sync lead adapter (plus lead - total cost £10). I am about to buy some RF602 wireless triggers for £25.

I have a set from ebay for £14 they work perfectly. T
omorrow I will post a link (on phone at the mo)

Buy the rf-603. They are loads better (y)

click here

If you want to see the ones I got. This is my second set, I've never had a problem with them (until I dropped my camera and it landed on the "sender") Hence the second set!

calling experienced 5100 owners to recommend me a lens...

I currently have the kit 18-55 lens, which is generally fine in respect of focal lengths for most of what I shoot, but obviously not the sharpest.

Whilst I don't have a particular subject to shoot in mind, I do tend to do a lot of urban/architecture and street stuff with some landscape depending on where I happen to be travelling at the time! So I'm thinking a small prime for the street stuff (a 50 or maybe a 35), but what are the sharpest lens's in your bags for a general purpose, doesn't need to be too long at the tele end so i'm maybe looking in the 18-105 range?

If you have experience with lens's in this type of bracket please share your thoughts!

Thank you!

If you want sharpest, then a prime is best. You might find the 50mm a bit limiting for architecture though it's good for street. The 35mm is better for architecture and some like it for street shots, though it might not be the best for candids.

Just upgraded my 3100 to a 5100, added a Sigma DG 70-300mm Macro for good measure. I love the camera, would just like some reasonable light to shoot in, was trying to take shots of ducks at a local canal this evening, but the shutter speed needs to be a little too slow for it to really come off (as a rank amateur you understand). The best I managed out of about 40 shots was this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94864305@N07/8641388452/

Last edited:
I got the Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G Lens lens this week - I already have the 18-55, the 55-200 AND the 55-300 - and I'm very happy with it, mainly because it has a wider maximum aperture that I can't achieve with my other lenses and because it seems to focus very quickly and quietly. Neither of these reasons would make me recommend it to you for architectural shots over the lens you already have - where I'm assuming that you will be on a tripod and want a deep depth of field - it might be marginally sharper (and in theory you will get a crisper shot with a faster shutter speed - hand held) but i've not seen a massive difference (yet) I'll keep you posted.

I have never used expensive lenses such as those that Gr8shot linked to so I can't comment on it's performance against lenses like that.

Last edited:

I currently have the kit 18-55 lens, which is generally fine in respect of focal lengths for most of what I shoot, but obviously not the sharpest.

Whilst I don't have a particular subject to shoot in mind, I do tend to do a lot of urban/architecture and street stuff with some landscape depending on where I happen to be travelling at the time! So I'm thinking a small prime for the street stuff (a 50 or maybe a 35), but what are the sharpest lens's in your bags for a general purpose, doesn't need to be too long at the tele end so i'm maybe looking in the 18-105 range?

If you have experience with lens's in this type of bracket please share your thoughts!

Thank you!

The Nikon 17-55mm 2.8 is incredibly sharp for a zoom. It's also expensive (around £550 second hand on the forums) and very heavy.

A compromise might be the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. I've just got back from Morocco and had this on all the time and found it be much sharper than expected. Will post some pics as soon as I've got through them!

The Nikon 17-55mm 2.8 is incredibly sharp for a zoom. It's also expensive (around £550 second hand on the forums) and very heavy.

A compromise might be the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. I've just got back from Morocco and had this on all the time and found it be much sharper than expected. Will post some pics as soon as I've got through them!

there are rumours of problems with the af, how did you find it? was it slow? Is it the VC version as apparently when you half press to shoot the VC is known to shake and cause blur? did you experience this with this lens?

thanks

there are rumours of problems with the af, how did you find it? was it slow? Is it the VC version as apparently when you half press to shoot the VC is known to shake and cause blur? did you experience this with this lens?

thanks

Non VC version.

Didn't experience any blur as far as I can tell but time will tell when looking at shots on PC at the weekend.

ok I think this is mainly on the VC version but I would be interested to know anyhow.

Hello all - just joined the forum, and just bought a Jessops stock D5100 for £220 - very happy with that! Have added the 35 1.8 and Tokina DXII 11-16 - and off to have some fun with it!

I started this hobby back in July with an Olympus PEN E-PL2. Lovely little camera, and excellent Zuiko 1.8 45mm lens (kit lens is a bit poor) - but felt the need to go DSLR, and wanted compact enough to carry around, hence APSC. Decided on the Nikon instead of an equivalent Canon, and was lucky to find mine at this price.

Hello all - just joined the forum, and just bought a Jessops stock D5100 for £220 - very happy with that! Have added the 35 1.8 and Tokina DXII 11-16 - and off to have some fun with it!

I started this hobby back in July with an Olympus PEN E-PL2. Lovely little camera, and excellent Zuiko 1.8 45mm lens (kit lens is a bit poor) - but felt the need to go DSLR, and wanted compact enough to carry around, hence APSC. Decided on the Nikon instead of an equivalent Canon, and was lucky to find mine at this price.

Hi Harry, that's a fantastic price. Can you link me to where you got it from please?

I have the same camera and a 18-105mm and have just bought an 35mm, which should arrive shortly.

I have found the 18-105mm to be a great all rounder. But sometimes the extra length would have been handy.

The 50mm will be too long for a lot of indoor. The 35mm is a smashing lens however I find that a little too long sometimes.

Try locking your kit lens at 35mm and 50mm and see what suits you best for the kind of buildings you shoot.

Nikon have cashback deals running on the 5100 at they moment with and without kit lens.

Might be worth looking out for in regards to buying new. Im amazed at how cheap this superb camera is at the moment.

Yes, I was thinking about getting a second one to save me having to change lenses so often... it was impulsive G.A.S. madness, must be the warm weather! Just ignore me.

Thank you!

The 10.5mm f2.8 DX Fisheye could be an interesting lens for urban and street shooting?

ok I think this is mainly on the VC version but I would be interested to know anyhow.

Apologies for delay in getting these up - very hard getting back into the flow of things after the wedding and honeymoon!

The Tamron (non-VC) is definitely not as sharp as the Nikon 17-55 2.8, but then again it is less than half the price and probably half the weight. It was a great carry around lens and I never felt like it was a pain to lug with me.

f2.8

Morocco-75.jpg

f4

Morocco-83.jpg
[/B]

Morocco-93.jpg
[/B]

f5

Morocco-4.jpg

f8

Morocco-2.jpg

Hello guys. Just got myself a Nikon D5100 today after going to the shop with the Intention of buying a Sony NEX5r. I have previously owned 2 Sony Dslr's in the past but this is my first time using Nikon. Will be giving the camera a tryout tomorrow when I go for a day trip to Cardiff with my son.

Nice one Crypto,

In sure you won't be disappointed.

I had to send mine back to Nikon after a sudden problem with the shutter. It was like taking pictures with the lens cap on.

From first contacting them to getting the repaired camera back took an amazing 6 days !! so a well done to Nikon customer services.

Also picked up a nice 32gb Samsung memory card for about £14 so I just need the time to get out there.

V

Back