Nikon D5xxx Owners Thread

Hope I don't sound rude, but are you sure you have fitted it correctly? Not a lover of neck straps personally - I prefer a wrist strap.

AL

My OEM strap is still in the box.

I bought a Optech strap but wish I'd got a Black Rapid Sport.

I use the Optech atm attached to the camera vie one on the strap mounts. I am just changing over to the Manfrotto 200PL QS plate and will use Back rapid Screws so I can attach to them and also support a heavy lens via a 200pl screw on the second strap. Hopefully This will be useable.

Hope I don't sound rude, but are you sure you have fitted it correctly? Not a lover of neck straps personally - I prefer a wrist strap.

AL

As far as I can see it can only attach one way. Each side of the strap goes through the tabs on either side of the camera, then through the little plastic buckles (that aren't really buckles at all).

Might be worth looking at a wrist or other strap.

But as simple as it sounds there is a particular way that the straps go through the buckles.

Discovered something that really annoying me now especially when using a WA lens.

On the D5100 you can't lock the focus.

Pretty sure that my old D50 I could press AE/AF once to lock then press it again to unlock. On the D5100 this isn't an option. Instead you need press and hold AE/AF which is a massive pain.

Of course there is the option of setting AE/AF to focus rather than half pressing the shutter release, but doesn't seem intuitive.

I agree this is a bit annoying. You can set the ae button to af (last option on f2). This works by only AFing when tne AE/AF button is pressed. I'm sure there is another way to lock af though

Of course there is the option of setting AE/AF to focus rather than half pressing the shutter release, but doesn't seem intuitive.

No luck. This would appear your only option. You could add it to your custom menu for quick access. Other alternatives are using some remotes that have an option not to focus first.

Up to now i've been autofocusing as normal then switching to manual focus before adding my 9stop filter. This does stop the camera attempting to refocus but it's a ball ache process. Is it possible to program the AE/AF button to toggle AF/Manual instead?

Not that I've seen.

With my 35mm 1.8 I can just switch to manual focus, but my latest Sigma doesn't have a MF switch.

If it wasn't for that fact that this is the smallest body with flip screen (I find it really handy),and excellent sensor (same as the D7000) I'd get rid of it, as I actually preferred the old D50 as a camera.

Last edited:
Up to now i've been autofocusing as normal then switching to manual focus before adding my 9stop filter. This does stop the camera attempting to refocus but it's a ball ache process. Is it possible to program the AE/AF button to toggle AF/Manual instead?

You can set up back button focus, that way it only focusses when you press the af/ae button. So you would focus without the filter and then just press the shutter release after fitting your filter.

Do as you are told and press the info button not the i button ;) Top of camera.

I've been using a sandisk ultra class10

30mb/s and never found any problems others may be able to give you a better answer, but it keeps up no problem

Same as me but I have found a few occasions when it struggled. the new cards offer 90mbs (I think real world is slower as shown in chart I posted

Class 10 is a bit of a catch all for everything over 10mbs up to U1 so it's worth checking what the actual sustained speeds of the card are.

I rarely fill and 8gb card before uploading the images so I'm thinking of carrying multiple smaller cards instead.

Are we still watching this thread?

I'm just wondering what sustained frame rates you guys can achieve?

I get 4fps for 9 shots then about 5 at 1.5 fps then just under 1/s
This is on a Sandisk Ultra (30MB/s) 14 bit raw.

You can't get the grid in the viewfinder, a backward step compared with the D5000 where you could.

You can't get the grid in the viewfinder, a backward step compared with the D5000 where you could.
Thanks for that, I had a few looks through the manual and also the menus in the camera at different times, I also use a Coolpix S9700 and that has them, handy sometimes. I agree a backward step, the D3100 I owned previously had them.

hi d5100 owners, I've decided that this camera is the best option for my grandson who is doing a video course at college, (he also wants to take stills) what lens would you recommend for this type of work? and although I know there is a separate thread for values, how much should I expect to pay for a good low shutter count body, thanks in advance.

The 18-55mm kit lens is good enough for video work, IMO. Would give him a bit of reach without compromising on quality. No idea of the body cost these days, though, sorry. I think you probably wouldn't have to pay much more for body + kit lens, but I'm guessing.

OK, thanks for answering the question re. the lens Garry, that makes the search easier, I'll ask about the value on the appropriate thread, Cheers, Ken

After holding a sony a6000 yesterday, I have come to the realisation that my hands are just too big. While I was there I had checked out how comfortable the d5300 was too, and it was a perfect fit for my hands, so I looked into it. It's definitely the camera I want to get after I have recovered from festival expenses.
As it doesn't have an AF motor, I wanted to ask what zoom lenses that go upto 300mm or above have AF motors. Prefer not to spend much more the £150 and the cheaper the better to begin with as long as they have the AF motor and stabilisation.

Picked up a D5500 to compliment my D600. Took it to Bergen at the weekend with the 18-55 kit lens as I had my 2 year old with me and didn't want to carry heavy kit about. Hugely impressed with it, Live View AF has really come along and it was a joy to use. Haven't used a kit lens for about 12 years but again very pleased with how it went...

Bergen by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Bergen by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

After holding a sony a6000 yesterday, I have come to the realisation that my hands are just too big. While I was there I had checked out how comfortable the d5300 was too, and it was a perfect fit for my hands, so I looked into it. It's definitely the camera I want to get after I have recovered from festival expenses.
As it doesn't have an AF motor, I wanted to ask what zoom lenses that go upto 300mm or above have AF motors. Prefer not to spend much more the £150 and the cheaper the better to begin with as long as they have the AF motor and stabilisation.
the 200-500 be nice :)
otherwise
the 55-300
70-300
55-200

Now got myself a D5200 for an absolute bargain good as new with 18-55 kit and 50mm 1.8g lens.
Really appreciate the level of control for such a good value camera.
Getting a 70-300mm today, think I got one that doesn't have compatible AF though, can't complain as it was only £60 on MPB.

Now got myself a D5200 for an absolute bargain good as new with 18-55 kit and 50mm 1.8g lens.
Really appreciate the level of control for such a good value camera.
Getting a 70-300mm today, think I got one that doesn't have compatible AF though, can't complain as it was only £60 on MPB.

Decent. Would love a 300mm lens although no auto focus would be a deal breaker

I have a d5500. Just getting into photography and looking to buy myself a standalone copy of lightroom soon so i can enhance the photos i have.

I would post a couple up on here for others to have a play with, but im fairly sure they are shot in JPEG and not RAW which doesnt help!

Hi I'm new here so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, but I need some lens advice for my Nikon D5500. I'm starting to do weddings and did my last one with 2 D5500, a Nikon 35mm (my favourite lens which I tend to probably over use because it's so sharp and great in low light) and my Sigma 18-200 (which is not so great in low light, soft round the edges and causes really noticeable barrelling in the photos). I'm looking to get a 70-200mm lens to use when I don't need something so wide angle. Which lens is best? I know the d5500 is a cropped sensor, so should I factor that in when looking at lenses and go for a different lens that will offer the equivalent of 70-200? I want something that's going to be sharp, good in low light, fast (I missed some shots because my 18-200 was so slow focusing) and has a decent zoom. Thanks in advance!

Back