Nikon D5xxx Owners Thread

Yes! Managed to trawl through my ebay history! They are posted from Portsmouth but the seller is Chinese;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-Battery-Ni...550559380?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamBatt_RL

Neil

Thanks, those batteries look ideal :)

same here got it from ebay via china, look at their shop though, there are some for £22 after a bought mine for £30....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Battery-Grip-...317459938?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamBatt_RL

No batteries with the £22 one though ;) Cheers for the link.

haha i never looked, well i got 2 batteries for £8 then..... woop woop lol

When you say it like that it sounds a bargain...not sure I actually need a battery grip though :shrug:

...not sure I actually need a battery grip though :shrug:

you dont really need a second battery unless shooting a shed load of flash I found

I added a grip as - with my Sigma lens - it felt a bit "front heavy"...but it does make the package large
BTW the grip is made for a D40
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

ps to all - take care removing third party batteries from carrier in grip
mine is very slightly wider than Nikon original and it is easy to snap off the retaining clips

I find having the extra batteries very useful. We go away in a tent with no access to 240v and having the three batteries means I can take photos for a week (roughly). Just seems a sensible thing to carry around anyway.

Neil

you dont really need a second battery unless shooting a shed load of flash I found

I added a grip as - with my Sigma lens - it felt a bit "front heavy"...but it does make the package large
BTW the grip is made for a D40
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

ps to all - take care removing third party batteries from carrier in grip
mine is very slightly wider than Nikon original and it is easy to snap off the retaining clips

How are you getting on with the grip John? Is it a good fit etc?

Also, anyone know if there is a Sigma or Tamron 300mm with a version of VR?

Last edited:
How are you getting on with the grip John? Is it a good fit etc?
Also, anyone know if there is a Sigma or Tamron 300mm with a version of VR?

yes i like it - I did email Hahnel USA about D5000. Was told not available - so use a D40 which is ok fit but no vertical use shutter release ....:shrug:
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

had thought about the Sigma 70-300 APO HSM...£174 at Amazon
not decided if i need 300 and will prob go for Nikon 55-200 "VR"
if you do - make sure you get the APO version [red band] - better optics
consensus is the Nikon 70-300 is BY FAR the better choice

Took the camera for it's first outing yesterday to Whipsnade Zoo. I am very impressed with the battery, I had the camera switched on for 5 hours apart from 20 minutes for lunch and it's still showing 3 bars after 250 photos!

I think it's time to get that book that was recommended as I struggled with some of the settings and wasn't sure what I should have it on. I also had problems with using the flash, I was in aperture mode and when inside the camera was recommending I use it but it wouldn't fire?

Hi Rich, was that the David Busch book, if so then look on Amazon as it is only £9.99 down from £20.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep that's the one, will order it next week as away this weekend :)

Just purchased the David Buschs D5000 Guide so ive got that and the Nikon 55-200mm lens coming next week:D

Last edited:
I got some welding glass etc last year but I couldn't work out how to set the white balance so failed miserably using it - will be interested to see how to do this on a D5000 ;)

I did some welding glass shots a while ago. Even after setting a Pre WB from a photo in the memory they all still came out with a green colour cast. What I did find was as long as I shot in RAW they were easily corrected by using the WB eyedropper in Photoshop RAW.

Lee which of the WB's did you settle for in the end?.

Can you stick some before and after shots up please.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Lee which of the WB's did you settle for in the end?.

Can you stick some before and after shots up please.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, haven't got access to my portable HD with my pics on.

Just ran outside to take some pics for you. Apologies about the content and quality, but it was just to give you some idea.

1. Standard pic no processing
Before.jpg

2. With weld glass attached and stopped down. No processing
Weld.jpg

3. Using last pics as a PRE WB you get this
pre.jpg

The pic does go lighter, but that's the best I can get it in camera. I've even tried using a white card with the welding glass on as a PRE WB but still stays with the green colour cast.

4. After using the WB eyedropper in Camera RAW
After.jpg

Whats happened to the clouds after the original? Theyve went blurry.:thinking:

i've been lookoing at them macro lenses myself. let me know if they are ok and i think i'll give them a go for that price. cheaper than a macro lens from jessops!!
Ive got a few new things today....

Filters
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....94466&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3708wt_1137

Close Up & Macro Lenses
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....69275&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2401wt_1137

And a few various welding glasses from work, just a word of warning to everyone. Theses glasses are very brittle!:)

I think i may get these next time.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....94&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT#ht_5427wt_1137
Phil

i've been lookoing at them macro lenses myself. let me know if they are ok and i think i'll give them a go for that price. cheaper than a macro lens from jessops!!
No prbs mate, have you seen michelles pics with them? I think theyre in my thread about getting a 2nd lens in this section.
Phil

Whats happened to the clouds after the original? Theyve went blurry.:thinking:

Thats the idea with using welding glass or a ND filter....it reduces the amount of light that enters the camera so you can use very long shutter speeds to create movement in the photo without overexposing it. Have a look at the link in my previous post to see some of the photos that others have taken....some are amazing.

Neil

Thanks Lee for posting the piccy's. I see what you mean about the white balance problem.

Well, all the bits arrived in good condition this morning. Need to light seal the glass on the holder now. Oh and wait for some suitable weather too. Took one earlier and with no PP was very green. Need to suss out now how to mess around with NEF/RAW files....

Neil

I used a step up filter ring and superglued the glass onto it. I also put some tape around the edges of the glass to prevent any light leakage.

Think I might have to do something similar. The glass is a real tight fit in the holder. Might glue it to the 67mm adaptet ring then use a bit of filler or tape to light proof it completely.
How do you store yours? I reckon I'll end up shattering it if I cant find a decent solution.

Neil

Does anyone adjust the picture control for different subjects or do you do this in PP? I've had it on standard for all of my shots and then changed it to vivid to try out. Forgot to change it back when I took a few shots of the family and they looked abit loud colour wise.

Thats the idea with using welding glass or a ND filter....it reduces the amount of light that enters the camera so you can use very long shutter speeds to create movement in the photo without overexposing it. Have a look at the link in my previous post to see some of the photos that others have taken....some are amazing.

Neil

Ofcourse, it wasnt till after i realised my clanger lol. Obviously you need to up the exposure time to see through the very dark glass.:bonk:
Thanks, Phil

My 1st thoughts were that they were pap but it was me using them wrong. Pretty impressed! If you look in my thread about a second lens you'll see some pics from them by michelle. Awesome.
Phil

Last edited:
......... I also had problems with using the flash, I was in aperture mode and when inside the camera was recommending I use it but it wouldn't fire?

my D5000 manual is in the car ... but dont you have to physically raise the flash [press little button above D5000 logo] in A mode...?

in Thom Hogans excellent review of the D5000 (c), "here" ----he says
"One aspect of lenses that doesn't get mentioned much with the D5000 is an intriguing one: you can mount any Nikkor on it. That's right, any, as in pre-AI lenses can be put on this camera and used without damaging it. Of course you'll be metering and focusing manually, but the presence of Live View can make focusing easier. "

decided to take a chance, so I did some bidding
and won a pre-Ai Nikkor-H Auto f2 50mm Nippon Kogaku lens.........£31.:D.. serial number puts it in circa 1970
- it is some sexy lens for a 40year old ! ..the one halfway down "this" page

mounts smoothly on the D5000, the green "focus light" in the viewfinder works, a few shots, check the LV which shows the f-stop to select
house interior shots of a bookcase look WAY sharp...i'll post some outdoors IF the sun comes out

so for 50mm manual...you cannot get much cheaper than that.....(y)

***BEWARE*****

if you do this, make sure you checkout the compatibility on any other Nikon bodies you may have

the pre-Ai lens I bought above will mount, but JAM, on a Nikon F3 for example

ERROR
it will mount ok ...but the small aperture tab at about 1o/clock on the F3 lens mount has to be raised out the way first

added 09/04/2011

Last edited:
my D5000 is now at Nikon for repair ... something very odd has happened with its ability to focus.

Thought it was the lens, but after replacing the lens it was clearly the Body... awaiting the verdict from Nikon ??)

It was less than a year old !!

Will keep you all posted ...

NIce one John, looks like you got yourself a bargain. Had time to take any photos yet? The image in the link looks fantastic and I look forward to seeing some of yours. Looks like a whole new world of lenses has just opened up for us D5000 owners!

Neil

Back