Nikon D5xxx Owners Thread

Can you share where you bought the 32Gb memory card as I need one.

Thanks

Peter

Nice one Crypto,

In sure you won't be disappointed.

I had to send mine back to Nikon after a sudden problem with the shutter. It was like taking pictures with the lens cap on.

From first contacting them to getting the repaired camera back took an amazing 6 days !! so a well done to Nikon customer services.

Also picked up a nice 32gb Samsung memory card for about £14 so I just need the time to get out there.

V

Cammyammy

You will need a remote release to do this.

1. Put the 5100 into M mode

2. in the shooting menu select Long Exposure NR to On.

3. In Release Mode select Quick response remote

4. Now use the command dial to select TIME this only appeares if you do step 3

Now when you press the remote release it will stay open for up to 30minutes or until you press the remote again.

Hope this helps

SUPERB ... thank you ... I have been using my Arduino to trigger sequential 30 second exposures and then stacking them up in Gimp ... this opens up a whole host of noctography and light painting opportunities (with the right ND filters)

Does anyone know the function or purpose of the little triangle plastic lug on the body next to where the lens mounts (between 7 and 8 O'clock as toy look at the front) ... I got a set of 3 Macro extension tubes for my birthday and although all have a metal lug that "meets" the plastic triangle on one of them it fouls and I need to manually depress the camera lug to get the tube to snap into position ... I have taken the metal lug off this problematic tube and it seems to work just fine without it!?

I'm using a D5100 with the 35mm Nikkor lens.

It's to do with the lens type, I'm no expert but I do believe it's to do with an older lens part pushing the lug in so the camera behaves better with the af

I'm also want to know if you can fix the camera in 2sec shutter delay.

When I put it into 2sec delay, it resets after each shot.

Hi Guys, Any of you heard of a Nikon MB-D51?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-C...t=UK_Camera_Battery_Grips&hash=item5af22f45c8

I'm pretty sure this is counterfeit.

Does anyone use a grip with the D5100 that can be recommended and has full functionality.

I'd agree it's a counterfeit ... and may not be worth the risk but may also work fine ...

I do have to ask why one would need to "double" the battery life at the expense of a bulkier camera? Personally I have 2 ... the original supplied battery and a correctly chipped aftermarket one from Amazon and I find they are more than adequate for 2 to 3k shots each (either an evening at a gig : LCD review, no flash, no focus light or a week in Wales for "typical" family photos) ...

What kind of things are you doing with your kit?

I'm of to Stonehenge for the solstice. I want to time lapse the day. That's 20.5hours.

Hi Guys, Any of you heard of a Nikon MB-D51?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-C...t=UK_Camera_Battery_Grips&hash=item5af22f45c8

I'm pretty sure this is counterfeit.

Does anyone use a grip with the D5100 that can be recommended and has full functionality.
Strictly speaking, it can't be counterfeit as it's not a copy of a genuine article but it certainly isn't made by Nikon. There are grips made by Meike that look very similar; I have one and, comparing the position and size of the label, I'm pretty sure this is a Meike grip with a new label and smarter box. I found that it fits well but made the camera much bulkier than I wanted. Nikon didn't design the D5100 to take a grip so the only additional functionality that's possible is the shutter release and this needs a cable from the grip to the camera to operate.

I'm only about 15 miles north of Stonehenge. Message me if you want to have a look at the grip while you're in the area and we'll arrange a meet.

Last edited:
Thanks, I may do that.
When you say shutter release, I guess you mean just a remote fire. In other words it has no 1st pressure= focius ae loc, 2nd pressure = fire?

Would you recommend that brand for my purpose?

No, it has both pressures, just like the normal shutter release.
There are only a two or three dedicated grips for the D5100 plus a couple that are common between the lower-end Nikons. Meike seems to get consistently good reviews and it's where I put my money.

Last edited:
I feel I should know the answer to this question but feel stupid for not. Can you use g and other lenses , ai and ais lenses etc . Had the camera 6 months now having changed from eos 400ds, have to say I really do like it. Image quality is superb.

Most F-mount lenses will fit but you'll only get AF with AF-S & AF-I lenses. TTL metering is only available with AF-S AF-I, AF & AF-D lenses. G lenses are all AF-S (possibly apart from the perspective control lenses). Pages 197 to 199 of the manual explain it properly.

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to the D5000 from the D3000? I've been offered a trade in price for my D3000 that I think is reasonable but wanted to know if anyone had done the same move and if they felt the upgrade had been a decent one?

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to the D5000 from the D3000? I've been offered a trade in price for my D3000 that I think is reasonable but wanted to know if anyone had done the same move and if they felt the upgrade had been a decent one?

Hi macs, see post 661 on this thread.

Hi just joined this forum today. had my D5100 for about 16 months now, very pleased with it, I have a couple of Tamron lenses 18~200 and 70~300. Brought from jessops altogether for £530. Getting to grips with it nicely, use A mode most of the time not fussed much with all the scene and effect modes(but that's just me)
Got a nice Canon printer and print my pics A4 and pleased with the results.
so in all a happy Nikon owner...

Bought d5100 and 18-105 after playing with d3100+18-55. £400 all in (free battery).

Very happy with purchase. Camera 'sits' in my grubby hands much better (can't rule placebo effect induced by spending more money) than d3100.

Now on the hunt for tripod.

Had to search to find this group. My D5100 is my first DSLR and I've had it about a year and very happy with it. I found sitting down and reading Nikon D5100 for dummies whilst the camera was next to me was most helpful.
I have the Nikon 35mm/f1.8 which I find a cracking lens for the money, light and very sharp. The lens I have on most of the time is the Nikon 18-105mm and this covers a lot of the shots I take, a great walk about lens. I bought the 18-105 together with the camera and the 70-300mm VR lens from the original Jessops. This lens is great when you need a little more distance and I use it to take photos of hockey games. I did however find it a little lacking in sharpness and range for bird photography. To cover the bird angle I went mad and bought the f4/300mm Nikon lens with a Nikon 1.4x teleconverter giving me 420mm before applying the crop factor. No VR (couldn't afford that option) but in good light can be used handheld no problem. All in all a 'happy bunny'.

I did the first time I tried, I'll have another go in the next day or two. Not a critical update so not too worried.

Hi Guys, had the D5100 for nearly a year now, does the latest update only improve battery life or are there any other advantages to the new firmware?

Hi Guys, had the D5100 for nearly a year now, does the latest update only improve battery life or are there any other advantages to the new firmware?

from the quick read I had about it - it only seems to let the D5100 recohnise the EN-EL14a batteries, which have a higher mAh rating (capacity) than the EN-EL14.

Great if you have these, of no use if you don't, and possibly the firmware may stop the camera recognising other 3rd party batteries.

I'm leaving mine as is

A 1.01
B 1.01
L 1.006

I have 1 x EN-EL14 and one 3rd party battery.

That was my thoughts as well Graham, in case a buy a 3rd party battery became useless after the firmware update.
Cheers

From Nikon:
  • The remaining battery charge is now accurately detected for Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL14a.
    With A firmware ver. 1.01/B firmware ver. 1.01 or earlier, the number of images that can be captured (battery life) when an EN-EL14a is used is less than when an EN-EL14 is used. By upgrading A firmware to ver. 1.02 and B firmware to ver. 1.01, EN-EL14a performance is maximized so that more images can be captured (battery life) than when an EN-EL14 is used.

Number of shots possible with the EN-EL14a (rated capacity: DC 7.2 V, 1230 mAh; with D5100 A firmware ver. 1.02/B firmware: ver. 1.01)
    - Single-frame release mode: Approximately 700 shots (CIPA standard*)
    - Continuous release mode: Approximately 2650 shots (Nikon standard*)
    *See the D5100 User’s Manual for details on test conditions.
This is the only item mentioned in the upgrade notes, so as Graham says, no point in upgrading if you don't have the EN-EL14a Battery.

Saving image on camera screen when zoomed in, any ideas pleas...

Saving image on camera screen when zoomed in, any ideas pleas...

Assuming you mean when just in playback mode....not possible.

Can do it via the trim option though. Press OK button and then arrow down to trim.

How are you guys finding the Nikon OEM strap?

Mine almost came completely undone when I on top of a Church in Salamanca, fortunately I caught the camera.

I'm finding that if I hold the camera with one hand, I can quite easily pull the strap out from the sides. There doesn't seem to be any locking buckle mechanism.

Back