Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

HDEW, are they grey imports?
No, not according to them, heres a response i got from an email this morning

All of the products we sell are UK specification ( i.e UK plugs and manuals.)

You will get a three year warranty which covers you for mechanical faults, breakdown, parts and labour and this will be repaired in the UK through a Nikon Repair agent. The full three years of the warranty will be with us as your retailer as opposed to being with nikon.

Therefore it is not a 'Grey Import' as it comes with a warranty valid in the UK and is sold to UK specification.

Excellent price. Mine was £1570 from Jessops and I thought that was reasonable. Interesting to see HDEWs definition of a Grey import. I wonder if its the same as Nikon's?
Having said that, Three year warranty is good whoever its with!

I used the D600 for a wedding for the first time on Saturday and was overall very pleased.

However, there is definitely some crap on the sensor which is showing up at F4. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Nikon asap to get it cleaned :(

ryanyboy said:
I used the D600 for a wedding for the first time on Saturday and was overall very pleased.

However, there is definitely some crap on the sensor which is showing up at F4. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Nikon asap to get it cleaned :(

It's not top left of the sensor by any chance, Internet is rife with this dust problem at the moment with regards the D600

Having read the article this refers to all of a particular batch, he will be testing a later batch when they arrive.
He seems also to think that the problem he has found may well be a temporary issue....
"The real question is: Will the dust eventually stop accumulating on the sensor? I think probably so. There’s some dust inside the camera that is getting blown out during early use through the shutter opening. But that’s just an educated guess; only time will tell."
Glad to say that mine hasnt displayed any of the issues mentioned.
Perhaps the title of the article should have read "Our D600s have sensor dust issues".

Interesting read, particularly about the potential gap. Focus issues with the d800 and now this with the d600, sure it may be a load of Internet hype being driven by people prone to hissy fits, but were there any complaints about canons new offerings like the 5d mk3? I don't remember seeing any, at least none with the same hype as the Nikon issues.

faddius said:
Interesting read, particularly about the potential gap. Focus issues with the d800 and now this with the d600, sure it may be a load of Internet hype being driven by people prone to hissy fits, but were there any complaints about canons new offerings like the 5d mk3? I don't remember seeing any, at least none with the same hype as the Nikon issues.

Hoping it is a load of Internet hype myself, gutted as I'am without a camera and ready to buy along with a 16-35mm f4, I just know if I hit checkout I will be very concerned and worried which shouldn't be the case when buying new, like they say if in doubt, so I'am just going to let the dust settle on this issue for the moment lol lol time to update my iPhone images folder it is then.
Regards
Kevin

Checking out the internet there are people with similar issues with their Canon cameras complaining of poor recent Quality Control, though the hype hasnt spread probably because there hasnt been a report on PetaPixel or whoever.
However the Canon 5d Mk 3 does have other issues......
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/13/canon-confirms-light-leak-issue-in-the-5d-mark-iii/
I have no problem wet cleaning a sensor but I wouldnt be able to do much about light leakage.
Perhaps we need a poll amongst D600 owners to find out what percentage have had real problems with dust or oil on their sensor.

Just heard back from Nikon, they are unaware of any issues ?? And assure me that if I do find any all I need to do is send it back to them and they fix any faults found etc

I think if you're intending to buy a new D600 then you can't really go wrong either way, if you wait, and Nikon fix it in a new batch (which they probably won't tell us about!) then you'll get one without the problem. If you buy one now, you can always send it in for the fix to be applied, which some/all of the current owners like myself may end up doing, which is not an issue.

This of course assumes Nikon will acknowledge that there is a problem (if indeed there is one - remember the D7000 suffered the same thing apparently).

You won't notice it in 99% of your images anyway, unless you regularly shoot blue skies at f/11 or above. I think in this day and age the Internet hype / scaremongering spreads like wildfire and in reality, most people wouldn't have noticed this unless they went looking for it. I agree however that Nikon need to address it but I'm still not convinced my own D600 has the problem anyway!

Don't know if its dust or oil but I have a large number of spots showing up the left hand side of images and also going towards the center.

If you buy one now, you can always send it in for the fix to be applied, which some/all of the current owners like myself may end up doing, which is not an issue.

I don't get this at all!
If I buy a brand new camera I don't expect that the first thing I will have to do is send it back for repair ... such an item is 'unfit for purpose'!

I don't get this at all!
If I buy a brand new camera I don't expect that the first thing I will have to do is send it back for repair ... such an item is 'unfit for purpose'!

I agree having to get something fixed so soon after purchase seems to suggest that there is something wrong in the manufacture or design processes. That shot I've just posted if from sub 500 frames, and its not that clear on that picture there are more less obvious spots as well.

In my view (and I must stress that it is just my opinion) everyone is over reacting. From a quick google you'll find all sorts of other camera bodies that suffered from some kind of problem, be it sensor problems, focus issues, banding, and plenty more besides.

What I meant with my previous post was this - if you want a D600 but are expecting Nikon to publicise this problem (if it really is one) and are prepared to wait, then you may be disappointed. They might fix it on the quiet, in the next batch or whatever, but how will you know? If you really want one, buy one, and if the oil spots really bother you that much, if indeed you can actually see them on your photos, then send it in for cleaning/repair/whatever.

Personally I'm happy to just clean my sensor a little more regularly than perhaps I'd expect, and get on with shooting with the thing. It's a fabulous camera, streets ahead of anything I've had before in terms of image quality (and that includes a D700 and 5D I and II) and far lighter and smaller than all other full frame bodies so far. If it proves to be a problem that comes back every few hundred shots, I might consider sending it in for repair under warranty - but only if I know that Nikon have acknowledged the issue, and will tell me what the rectification is (I.e. over and above a straight sensor clean).

Last edited:
Anybody else shooting with the D600 having an issue with the virtual horizon freezing? I use this feature a lot (and use to on my D7000 where it never failed); I've noticed after prolonged shooting it freezes and requires me to turn the camera off and wait a couple of moments for it to reset itself. It normally occurs after shifting from one shot position (on tripod) to another; perhaps this 'large' movement throws it out of whack or something?

Don't think its been mentioned by apple released a camera raw update this week that added support for the D600 and a bunch of other cameras.

Gary Coyle said:
No, not according to them, heres a response i got from an email this morning

I think there definition of grey import is a little "grey". I've used HDEW and have no issues with them. However, it's not a manufacturers warranty with a camera body so I think they are stretching the definition a little!

Lenses on the other hand given they come with a Nikon Intl warranty are identical to UK supplied lenses.

Yeah your right there is a big difference between a uk specification item and a uk market one.

Yeah your right there is a big difference between a uk specification item and a uk market one.

Very true, some sellers are wording their adverts very carefully, Shipped from the UK and UK spec basically means it's an import and will carry no Nikon warranty. not really a massive problem if they supply an aftermarket warranty with a reputable repairer though.

Very true, some sellers are wording their adverts very carefully, Shipped from the UK and UK spec basically means it's an import and will carry no Nikon warranty. not really a massive problem if they supply an aftermarket warranty with a reputable repairer though.
I confirmed the warranty statue today and HDEW confirmed that any warranty work required will be carried out by Nikon themselves, Fixation, Lehmanns or AJ johnstones all of who are Nikon official authorised service and repair centres.

The Grip warranty is direct with Nikon for the first 2 years

Ive purchased cameras for £3000 used with no warranty so im more than happy to get something a few hundred quid cheaper and get 3 years warranty into the bargain, if youre not then so be it, my money, my choice.

Hi Gary, wasn't commenting on your choice of purchase, it was more that the grey importers are being very crafty with their wording that implies something that it isn't.

I confirmed the warranty statue today and HDEW confirmed that any warranty work required will be carried out by Nikon themselves, Fixation, Lehmanns or AJ johnstones all of who are Nikon official authorised service and repair centres.

The Grip warranty is direct with Nikon for the first 2 years

Ive purchased cameras for £3000 used with no warranty so im more than happy to get something a few hundred quid cheaper and get 3 years warranty into the bargain, if youre not then so be it, my money, my choice.

So that just confirms what I said, No Nikon warranty but no problem as any work will be by a reputable repairer.

Last edited:
So that just confirms what I said, No Nikon warranty but no problem as any work will be by a reputable repairer.
Hmmm, dont really see any issues or any differences, Its a Nikon camera, if it breaks Nikon fix it or an official Nikon repair centre, no different if you had bought the camera from WEX or Jessops other than HDEW book the camera in for repair and not me, officially everyones warranty is with the retailler who sold you the camera.

For those with a D600 and flash could you answer me a simple question? Does the camera exposure take into the account the flash? I've got a Jessops 360AF and the camera recognises it and adjust ISO accordingly but is showing that the shot will be underexposed so badly that its flashing the exposure bar. Is this normal?

Mine arrived today, takes lovely pics, just getting to grips with it and trying to figure out how to set single point AF, bought the official grip and it fits like a glove unlike the D800 one.

I'm going to buy a D600, and have a quick question I hope you can help with:

I'm planning to get the SanDisk Extreme SDHC UHS-I (45MB/s) card, as a 32GB is available for around £20, unless I am advised I should get the Extreme Pro with this camera. I will be shooting in lossless RAW, but am unlikely to do many burst shorts and will not be using it for video.

Advice appreciated! thank you.

I use the 90MB/s ones as I got 16Gbs ones for about £20 each so have 4 of them. The RAW files from the camera are about 25-35MB a piece from what I saw from using it over the weekend.

Ive had mine a week and decided to sell it on, only used it once and it just doesnt sit right in my hand, tried with the grip as well (grip is a perfect fit to camera unlike the D800) but it just isnt comfortable to for me hold, lovely images with the 16-35mm f/4 Tamron 28-75mm and Nikon 70-200mm VR MKI.supposed im used to the bulkier D3S and gripped D700

I really like mine and one of the big draws for me was the smaller size. I tried the canons and found all of them too big and cumbersome and to a simliar extent the D800, where I find the D600 pretty much perfect size and weight.

Personally I think a camera can be too small/light, for me the D3S fits nicely, feels solid and helps me keep a steady hand.

Personally I think a camera can be too small/light, for me the D3S fits nicely, feels solid and helps me keep a steady hand.
Correct, im used to having a D3S with 400mm f/2.8 on a monopod as a first body then a gripped D700 or D3S with a 70-200mm f/2.8 plus a 1.4x extender for my second body which is handheld, the D600 even with a grip with the 70-200mm just didnt feel right, was better with my Tamron 28-75mm as thats a really light lens but felt very akward with the much heavier 16-35mm f/4 VR

Its what im used to i suppose

Back