Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

I guess it comes down to hand size and what your used to, just for me its pretty much perfect and I wouldn't want to go any bigger

I guess it comes down to hand size and what your used to, just for me its pretty much perfect and I wouldn't want to go any bigger
Dont get me wrong, its not tiny, in fact if it were just going to be used as a general everyday holiday type camera it would probably be fine but my cameras are working tools and earn me money and as such i must be 100% happy with how it feels.

Looks like ill have to flog a D3S and get a D4 or D3X for the extra mega pixels i required this for.

If it was me I would get a gripped D800 or a D4 over a D3x for MP. The D3x is great in the studio, but really struggles when you have to even remotely push the iso anywhere outside it.
Wouldnt need the ISO to go over 200 so thats not a concern, its for wide angle Rugby ground photos and some stitching work, it'll all be tripod work in controlled areas, ive been doing it with the D3S or D700 but theyve all been asking for increased res stuff, thinking the D3X as i wouldnt need to invest any further on cards, batteries etc, etc as ive already got loads, been offered a 40,000 actuation one for just under £1600 from a mate

Gary Coyle said:
Wouldnt need the ISO to go over 200 so thats not a concern, its for wide angle Rugby ground photos and some stitching work, it'll all be tripod work in controlled areas, ive been doing it with the D3S or D700 but theyve all been asking for increased res stuff, thinking the D3X as i wouldnt need to invest any further on cards, batteries etc, etc as ive already got loads, been offered a 40,000 actuation one for just under £1600 from a mate

If you know you'll not be pushing the ISO then it does make sense to get the D3X. £1600 is a great price for one with that many shots on it!

Dirt on sensors - how much is due to manufacturing problems or inadequate user precautions when changing lenses.
Not referrring to any specific posters, but without knowing how people handle their equipment it is impossible to decide upon a reason why sensors have acquired dust.

Picked up my D600 a little while ago - loving it :) Great low light performance especially stepping up from DX.

Very happy with it!

I got very close to returning mine and swapping back to the OMD EM5, but then had a proper play with it at the weekend indoors at a family party, and the low light capabilities, even with the kit 24-85 lens are amazing. So sticking with it now :D

Gary Coyle said:
Dont get me wrong, its not tiny, in fact if it were just going to be used as a general everyday holiday type camera it would probably be fine but my cameras are working tools and earn me money and as such i must be 100% happy with how it feels.

Looks like ill have to flog a D3S and get a D4 or D3X for the extra mega pixels i required this for.

I know what you mean Gaz, have the same issue with 5d v 1d, the feel of the 1d is unique and whilst in theory the 6d should be right for me, I know I will hate the feel of it!! So looks like a 1ds mkIII for me!

Is there something about the D600 I should know, this has got to be the most under-whelming owners thread ever to grace the forum

Is there something about the D600 I should know, this has got to be the most under-whelming owners thread ever to grace the forum
Its an underwhelming camera, i sent mine back and got a refund, i think lots of people were expecting a D700 replacement and its nowhere near that, it produces lovely images but feels like a toy in the hand.

Would i reccomend one, well yes if youre wanting a cheap FF camera, no if you already own a FF camera.

I sort of imagined that the D800 was the replacement for the D700 and the D600 was the opportunity for crop frame (ie D7000 etc) users to move into the realms of FF, it's no D3/4 thats for sure, but for built quality I don't think the D700 is either, but I do think it fills a niche in the market. As for the other problems that have been outlined how serious or widespread they are I guess only time will tell?

To me if Nikon could just put the D600 sensor in a D700/800 type of body then that would be the true D700 replacement that we're all waiting for!
The AF of the D600 isn't on a par with the D700 either, the buttons and menu system is very poor as well, many things which were to immediate hand on the D700 are buried deeply in the menu system on the D600, the top dial is terrible as well, you actually feel youre going to break it to turn it.

Like i say, lovely images and the HDR feature was excellent.

Maybe I had a different expectation of the camera than some people on here as I like it a lot. For me it was a step up from the APS-C DSLRs not a step down from the D700/D800. The build quality is very good and I have no issues with the controls or menu system. It's focus system is quick and accurate and for what I want works perfectly. Even in the few weeks I've had it the quality of some of the images I've got from it have far exceeded what I ever achieved on my other cameras. The FF sensor in doors and for family photos is superb.

Im liking mine too. I like the U1 and U2 setting that can recall anything you have programmed via the menu, I like the 2 card slots, Im happy with the size/weight as I dont subscribe to the heavy/big is best viewpoint. Its rugged enough for my use and so far has done everything I want it to. Not tried HDR yet.

The AF of the D600 isn't on a par with the D700 either, the buttons and menu system is very poor as well, many things which were to immediate hand on the D700 are buried deeply in the menu system on the D600, the top dial is terrible as well, you actually feel youre going to break it to turn it.

Which things?

A lot of people who might have bought a D600 had it come out concurrently or just before the D800 got a D800 instead as it was out 8 months earlier. Compound that with the ridiculous advertised price (aside from the bad impressions of claiming to price it within £150 of where D800s were at the time of release, it collapsed in days to nearer where it should be.) rt'll take a while for it to pick up, though pick up it will.

Had it been announced at £1500 (where it is now, barely 2 months after release) reception would have been much more positive.

Gary Coyle said:

Gary - you're entitled to your opinion, of course, but you're probably in the minority here. I'm no pro, and don't need an ultra rugged camera, but having had a 5D I and II, and a D700 before my D600, I have to disagree with your comments. Overall the camera feels like it will stand the test of time to me. In my view, there is nothing wrong with the buttons or the menus, they are just different. I haven't actually noticed any significant difference in the menus between the D700 and the D600, so I'm really not sure what you're referring to here. The top dial is robust and seems absolutely fine to me.

As for the AF - I think it is widely acknowledged that it isn't quite on a par with the D600. From my use so far however, over 1700 images, it has nailed pretty much everything - moving, low light, the lot.

I think you're probably the only person around who has sold your D600 within a week of buying because you're not happy - but making statements like those above isn't really helping anyone. No offence intended here - as I said it is just your opinion and your choice, which is fine.

Last edited:
Had wondered about getting one of these for landscape work, but reading about dust etc issues reminds me of what I faced with the Canon 5D Mk 1, notorious for being a dust magnet.

Instead of getting a D600, I'm tempted to get a used mint 5D (with 6 months warranty from a dealer) used 17/40mm L, 50mm f1.8, 70/200mm F4 L and a tripod for landscape work - suspect I'll pay less for that combo than for a D600 body alone and will still get outstanding A3 prints!

Gary - you're entitled to your opinion, of course, but you're probably in the minority here. I'm no pro, and don't need an ultra rugged camera, but having had a 5D I and II, and a D700 before my D600, I have to disagree with your comments. Overall the camera feels like it will stand the test of time to me. In my view, there is nothing wrong with the buttons or the menus, they are just different. I haven't actually noticed any significant difference in the menus between the D700 and the D600, so I'm really not sure what you're referring to here. The top dial is robust and seems absolutely fine to me.

As for the AF - I think it is widely acknowledged that it isn't quite on a par with the D600. From my use so far however, over 1700 images, it has nailed pretty much everything - moving, low light, the lot.

I think you're probably the only person around who has sold your D600 within a week of buying because you're not happy - but making statements like those above isn't really helping anyone. No offence intended here - as I said it is just your opinion and your choice, which is fine.
No worries mate, its just a personal choice thing, ive use the D3/D3S and D700 gripped exclusivly for 3/4 years so stepping down to one of Nikons non pro cameras was always going to be a difficult one foe me being used to the "large" full frame pro cameras

Im probably one of only a few to have sold because the D600 is really aimed at those coming from the prosumer DX cameras looking to upgrade to FX
, its not really aimed at guys like myself who already own what i do and as such just feels rather toy like in my hands, again, a personal preference.

I will reitterate that the D600 does produce some seriuosly lovely images, i needed it to be a direct replacement for my D700, ie a spare sports/action camera which was as fast as my D700 and an everyday use camera, it failed on the first count but more than excelled on the second but as 95% of the time it would be used as a spare sports/action camera then it really wasn't suitable.

Hopefully Nikon will produce a genuine D700 replacement but i doubt it very much as i think they realised the D700 ate into the D3 market, the D800 could be an option if i were to use it in DX crop mode for sport, the 15mp files are big enough for the sport i do and with a grip it can do 6fps which will be good enough if only used as a back up as my 2 DS's will be doing most of the work, the 36mp file is probably overkill but its nice to have if you ever need it.

Was probably wrong to say the menu system is no good, like you say its just a bit different

Each to their own. (y)

Oh and just to clarify, i did try to sell it but no one interested so called HDEW who took it back and gave me a full refund

Last edited:
Hello all, ive had my D600 for nearly a month now and keep having problems focusing with the Nikon 50mm 1.4G. It generally seems focus further back than where the focus point is. For example i was trying to take a portrait shot of my wife using AF-S, Spot Focus and Centre Weighted Metering in Aperture Mode f1.4, 1.6, 1.8 & 2.8. It was a head shot and i was focusing on her right eye nearest to the camera but except for the odd shot most have focused further back and her left ear was more in focus! I tried using the AF fine tune which seemed to help at -5 but its still very hit and miss.
Any help would be appreciated as im thinking of selling the 50 1.4 for a 1.8 to see if that improves things, or am i just doing something wrong..
Thanks, Matt

Hello all, ive had my D600 for nearly a month now and keep having problems focusing with the Nikon 50mm 1.4G. It generally seems focus further back than where the focus point is. For example i was trying to take a portrait shot of my wife using AF-S, Spot Focus and Centre Weighted Metering in Aperture Mode f1.4, 1.6, 1.8 & 2.8. It was a head shot and i was focusing on her right eye nearest to the camera but except for the odd shot most have focused further back and her left ear was more in focus! I tried using the AF fine tune which seemed to help at -5 but its still very hit and miss.
Any help would be appreciated as im thinking of selling the 50 1.4 for a 1.8 to see if that improves things, or am i just doing something wrong..
Thanks, Matt

Worse case, it might need recalibrating at a service centre.

Your best bet is to sit down one day and create a controlled environment, with a tripod and subject etc. and go through the whole process of using the af fine tune. You can find guides online, or I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction. If it is still being quite hit and miss, then it's time to contact nikon, box it all up and wave good bye to it for a week or two.

Matt-k said:
Thanks, Matt

Matt - I had the same issues with my 50mm 1.4G. When it worked it was great, otherwise it was unreliable. I tried AF fine tune but it wasn't the issue.

I sold it and bought a 50mm 1.8G - and it hasn't missed a single shot in terms of focussing - even wide open - regardless of the focal length. It is also lighter and considerably cheaper!

It is a stunning lens to use on the D600.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick replies.
Ive just had it on a tripod at f1.4 with a focus chart as instructed on a fine tune manual on the net. After many repeated shots at exactly the same settings it varies its focus from being occationally spot on to about 8-10mm out (usually behind) but sometimes 5mm in front. Obviously when im wanting to do portrait shots with the eyes Bang in focus its going to take far to many shots to achieve. So its looking like i might have to swap it for a 50 1.8. The reason i chose the 1.4 version was because i do a lot of low light shots and wanted a fast lens. In real terms is the 1.8 much slower? But i guess if its consistantly in focus its a no brainer.

Thanks, Matt

1.8 isn't really any slower, the liklihood of seeing a real life benefit is slim. If you're shooting with the 1.8 and you reach the point where you have it wide open, using a really high iso and a slow enough shutter speed to start worrying about camera shake, it's probably time to put down the camera.

Very good point! Well thats my mind made up! I'll buy a 1.8 and also im on the lookout for a 80-200 2.8 AF-D 2 ring. Im not allowed access to the wanted for sale thread yet as ive not enough posts. That does get my back up a bit actually as i often search the site for answers so i dont have to ask daft questions yet in doing so i havent got enough posts to acssess all areas.....Daft questions coming up!

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good point! Well thats my mind made up! I'll buy a 1.8 and also im on the lookout for a 80-200 2.8 AF-D 2 ring. Im not allowed access to the wanted for sale thread yet as ive not enough posts. That does get my back up a bit actually as i often search the site for answers so i dont have to ask daft questions yet in doing so i havent got enough posts to acssess all areas.....Daft questions coming up!

Thanks for the help.

Throw all the daft questions you want, just be mindful the mods don't look favourably at suggestive remarks about doing transactions away from the classifieds, the rules are there to help protect everyone. :rules:

To be fair, the classifieds aren't really any cheaper than the going rate for used gear elsewhere, so don't worry about missing out on something spectacular and amazing, I mean, afterall, no one has tried selling a D4 for anywhere near a price I can afford :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hopefully soon going to be buying a D600, I was saving for a D7000 when my D90 got written off. It had problems focusing - it would sometimes physically have difficulty focusing the lens and other times it would hunt all over the place. I had the currys 'what ever happens' cover and they took it away and 5 weeks later I was told they would give me £800 for it as it was not repairable.

So now thinking of putting D7000 money with the £800 and getting a D600

I'm waiting to buy as well, just holding out until Nikon sorts out the oil/dust/scratch issues.

It'll be a pain to keep sending it off for cleaning, especially if I end up buying a grey import.

The issue seems quite widespread judging from the comments on other popular forums.

Someone posted a video showing dust/oil accumulation without changing lens. Lots of spots showed up after 500 shots.

http://youtu.be/_cY30lEMv8o

What do you mean 'ran the clean' do you mean you got the camera to self clean ?

Yes sorry, was on my phone and missed the self bit out. Ran that a few times and pretty much all went. Last time I checked there were no oil or other deposits on the sensor.

It's also very, very easy to clean the sensor yourself. It takes about 2 minutes.

I don't think a few more dust spots (or oil or whatever) than expected would stop me from buying a D600. It's a fabulous camera. It may not suit people who are used to the D3/D700/D300 control layout, but in every other way it has blown me away so far.

Whether paired with the inexpensive 50mm 1.8G or 85mm 1.8G, or more serious tools like the 24-70 2.8G, it hasn't disappointed me at all - not in the slightest. It's a fantastic all round camera.

I have had to clean the sensor on my D7000 twice since I got it about a year ago and I cleaned my D600 sensor yesterday when I noticed one spot right at the right hand edge of the images. None of the reported dust spots on the usual top left quarter of the image yet though Ive only taken about 1500 shots. Theres nothing causing me any concern and as daveb99 points out it is very easy to clean the sensor yourself with the correct kit.

Hi, I need a self timer remote thing for the D600 so that I can try my hand at long exposure star trails and so on, I believe that it can only go to 30s in-camera. Can anybody point me in the right direction, my searches on the 'bay and amazon have proven fruitless as yet.

Also, are there any decent third party grips out yet or is it still a little early for them?

Cheers
Aled

Back