Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Folks,

Looking for a little advice,
I've had a D7000 since the turn of the year and I'm very impressed with it, on my recent trip to Paris it really performed much better than I ever hoped.

However I've found a love of prime lenses and I took the Nikon 24mm f2.8, the 35mm f1.8 DX and the Sigma 17-50.

While the 17-50 was excellent I just didn't like the bulk, the 24mm remained almost an ever present alongside the 35mm.

I found the 24mm just wasn't quite wide enough on a DX body with the 17mm coming in handy a couple of times.

I've been considering an upgrade to the D600 as the full frame would give me A. really good high ISO and low light and also the removal of crap factor which would leave my 24mm (or possibly a 20mm) as wide enough for my needs.

Obviously I could add a 35mm f2 and the 50mm f1.8G to effectively give me the same focal lengths as I already have on DX and potentially an 85 f1.8G for some more length.

I'm just wondering if anyone has made a similar move and did you stick to primes?

Just returned my D600 , great camera but could not leaves with the dust and oil:(
The 85 f1.8G will be amazing on it

I had a hankering for the D600 as it seemed to be perfect - FF in a small(ish) body. Now with all the problems (?) with the sensor I'm not so sure.
I've picked up a high mileage D3 now and am really tempted to keep this.
Has anybody used both and which do they prefer?
Has anyone gone from the D3 to the D600 and regretted it?
(also post on the D3 owners thread)

The size really attracts me as its little bigger than the D7000 which I actually found quite small compared to the Sony DSLR's I've used before.

But yeah the issues are a bit of a downer, I suppose if I make sure and buy a UK model from a good stockist then it shouldn't matter too much but its still a concern, especially when your spending £1400+

Couldnt you just clean the sensor every couple thousand shots till it clears up? Unless you shoot at F16+ all the time?

If you change lenses then you will get dust in the camera. Doesn't matter what camera either. For sure the D600 can have more than most but even the D3 etc had this when launched and iirc so did some of the Canons. I've been lucky so far in that I have no obvious signs of oil on the sensor, I've had some dust, but as said unfortunately dust is a fact of life. It is pretty easy to clean, even the oil is (although be better if it wasn't necessary).

Its certainly something I've come across with my D7000 albeit not the oil on the sensor, just dust.

I think a D600 with a 24mm f2.8, 50 f1.8G & the 85 f1.8G would be a cracking travelm camera, would maybe even throw in a 35mm f2 as well.

Really liked the 24mm on my Paris trip but would have preferred it to be just that little bit wider. Without having to carry a heavy zoom like the 17-50 or 11-16 I see FX as a good solution for me.

...<snip>
I think a D600 with a 24mm f2.8, 50 f1.8G & the 85 f1.8G would be a cracking travelm camera, would maybe even throw in a 35mm f2 as well.

Really liked the 24mm on my Paris trip but would have preferred it to be just that little bit wider. Without having to carry a heavy zoom like the 17-50 or 11-16 I see FX as a good solution for me.
That would be a good prime set imo the 24mm is plenty wide for most uses ... the latest 1.8 releases have all been good so another option would be 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 and I don't think you would then need a 35mm - if the 28mm isn't wide enough then there is the 20mm too albeit f2.8 (not that it is an issue imo) ... must admit I prefer using primes than zooms but my uwa is a zoom (if that makes any sense at all!)

That would be a good prime set imo the 24mm is plenty wide for most uses ... the latest 1.8 releases have all been good so another option would be 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 and I don't think you would then need a 35mm - if the 28mm isn't wide enough then there is the 20mm too albeit f2.8 (not that it is an issue imo) ... must admit I prefer using primes than zooms but my uwa is a zoom (if that makes any sense at all!)

Hmmm plenty to ponder! I might give the Nikon 20mm a try first and see if that would be wide enough for me on my D7000 for now, might be better for me to spend cash on building my lens kit and upgrade later in the year.

Took the plunge and ordered a D600 + 24-70 nikkor.

Upgraded from a D90 with 18-105mm kit lens. Hopefully should see a nice improvement.

Wish me luck, here's hoping I don't have too many oil/dust issues. :)

Just wanted to say hello. I finally decided to go full frame and got myself a D600 and a 24-120 F4 lens with it. To my surprise the lens was £70 off with the D600 camera, along with the cash back that had just ended, the grand total came to just under £2k. Pretty good for a FX starter kit, I think.

And maybe I say thank you Nikon for coming to your senses about switching to normality to your exposure indicator, no more + on the left and - on the right (I know you can customise it anyway, but that's not the point...) Minor change but it all adds up.

Just received my D600 that I bought on here this morning. Still waiting for my AF-S 50mm F1.4G to turn up though before I can start shooting with it! :(

Right my lens finally turned up so I've had a little play. First thing I've noticed is it handles completely differently to my old D3 lol. I keep pressing the lock button to zoom in, but otherwise I'm pretty damn happy with it. The AF points also aren't really an issue either from my point of view as they are wider than I was expecting them to be in the frame, which is a bonus, as it worried me from reviews.

Took the plunge and ordered a D600 + 24-70 nikkor.

Upgraded from a D90 with 18-105mm kit lens. Hopefully should see a nice improvement.

Wish me luck, here's hoping I don't have too many oil/dust issues. :)

I made that upgrade when my D90 broke.

You will be happy the difference in image quality is amazing and the D90 was good so had a lot to beat. Love being able to crop into photos and still have the quality.

I have had no issues with any dust

Unfortunately, have now encountered the dust issue :(

Quite a few bits, some quite large, appeared on sensor. Rocket blower removed most, but still a few small dust spots remain, which I'll have to take care off.

Not that upset, as it's still a great camera, so the dust issue is just an annoyance.

Could send to Nikon, but would be away too long, so need recommendations regarding best cleaning kit.

For me, the Visible Dust cleaning kit for oil worked well for these particular spots. I also tried the Eclipse liquid and swabs, but with the Eclipse liquid I had to use several swabs to clean one of these spots, and also, I found that I had to work more diligently to make sure the entire sensor really got cleaned and stayed clean everywhere.

Unfortunately, that specific Visible Dust liquid for oil spots leaves some streaks on the sensor, and you have to use another liquid (there the Eclipse liquid worked well, just like Visible Dust's own liquid for dust and water, which they recommend to use for this second cleaning step).

My personal favourite for these spots is the Visible Dust Oil cleaning liquid (so if you order this, be careful to order both types of liquid).

One criticism I have regarding the packs which contain liquid and swabs - there are only four swabs in one package with the liquid, but there is enough liquid for a lot more swabs. So you may want to try to buy those items separately, to save some money.

Well, i stepped in and bought a D600 to upgrade from my D90. I never had to clean the sensor on the 90 so this may be a new venture for me lol..

Btw, on the 90 i could set it so the big rear LCD show all the settings when i flicked the power switch to the backlight position. Anyone know if it can be done on the 600?, i've only had a quick look through the menus but cannie find it...

Hi folks,

Looking for a little advice.

I currently have a D7000 and a set of Nikon Primes
(20mm f2.8D, 24mm f2.8D, 35mm f1.8G and a 50mm f1.8G)

I really enjoy using my D7000 as its size and IQ are excellent but I've been pondering the upgrade to a D600 partly so that I can fully exploit the width of full frame and have 20mm, 24mm, etc rather than the 1.5x crop factor.

I know I'd need to swap out the 35mm for one thats full frame compatible but other than that I'd want to use my 20/24/50.

My question is, are these lenses up to being used on Full Frame? I've seen them used on a D700 but I wondered if the extra resolution of the D600 would be too much for the older lenses to handle?

Hi folks,

I really enjoy using my D7000 as its size and IQ are excellent but I've been pondering the upgrade to a D600 partly so that I can fully exploit the width of full frame and have 20mm, 24mm, etc rather than the 1.5x crop factor.

I know I'd need to swap out the 35mm for one thats full frame compatible but other than that I'd want to use my 20/24/50.

My question is, are these lenses up to being used on Full Frame? I've seen them used on a D700 but I wondered if the extra resolution of the D600 would be too much for the older lenses to handle?

They are perfectly usable on the D600. I even use the 35 f1.8 some times. you can some corner darkness on the d600 but centre is sharp thought. Those old lens may not resolve the full 24mp but the pictures they produced are still very good.

Hi folks,

Have a look here Chris http://bythom.com/2013 Nikon News.htm it may help.

Annoyed with Amazon! Ordered a D600 on Tuesday night with my Prime Membership (One Day Delivery) and its not even left the warehouse yet, arghhh!!!!

Normally, I've found Amazon to be very reliable. I'd be contacting them to ask about some compensation.

Did you make sure it is Amazon you are buying from? Sometimes when you order via the Amazon website, I think it is actually a dealer selling via the Amazon marketplace you buy from. Both my D600 and my D800 were ordered from Amazon, but it was another company actually selling, sending and invoicing them to me.

With the D800, it took more than a week to get the camera to me, I was getting quite nervous as one day after getting it, we were flying to Thailand for a month.

That said, while I don't want to complain, the D800 (ordered via Amazon.co.uk and sold and delivered by a British company whose name I forget) came with a German manual !!

I didn't complain, I am German :) but still, I wonder how a British customer would have felt about that :)

Its another seller but its fulfilled by Amazon, so its coming from there warehouse.
I've spoken to them this morning and they've given me a month free on my Prime Membership but they can't confirm where the camera is, total pain in the neck I could have gone literally across the road to Calumet for an extra £10.

I don't want to rub it in, but given the apparent frequency of the sensor contamination issues of the D600, I think a dealer across the street from your place would have been a good idea.

Often you can still cancel an Amazon order, while it has not yet been shipped. I had to do it once after noticing that I had ordered the wrong stuff by mistake. Maybe you could try that?

Truth be told it would likely have been sent back anyway for exactly the reason you outline.

I wanted to get one in my hand and see what I think with the ability to return it if I decide its not for me (7 day returns policy) particularly as its a lot of money.

If I do like it I'd have considered returning it and buying from Calument incase as you say there are any issues.

I've been swithering really between an upgrade to my D7000 or picking up an X-Pro 1 to go with my D7000 (for travel) but I really think the advantages of the full frame (width and low light capability) make it a no-brainer to go for a D600 and potentially keep the D7000 as well.

I've been swithering really between an upgrade to my D7000 or picking up an X-Pro 1 to go with my D7000 (for travel) but I really think the advantages of the full frame (width and low light capability) make it a no-brainer to go for a D600 and potentially keep the D7000 as well.
My opinion fwiw is that would make a very good combo (D7000 & D600) ...

Its another seller but its fulfilled by Amazon, so its coming from there warehouse.
I've spoken to them this morning and they've given me a month free on my Prime Membership but they can't confirm where the camera is, total pain in the neck I could have gone literally across the road to Calumet for an extra £10.

I jumped in last week and got mine from Jessops, ordered online and collected within an hour plus a Bonus of £60 Quidco cash back as well as the £150 offered by Nikon.

Love the camera so far and I moved from a D7000 but have found it s huge step up in the quality of my images.

Love the camera so far and I moved from a D7000 but have found it s huge step up in the quality of my images.

Recently upgraded, to D600, from D90. Wonderful feeling when you see the detail that the camera can record.

Only downside, for me, is that I'll have to upgrade my pc to deal with the additional processing workload I'm putting on it :(

Hoping to pick up a D600 tomorrow and some nice glass , still cant decide between the 16-35 or 24-70 though . The 16-35 i think would suit me better but the allure of the 24-70 is very tempting...

I went for the 24-70 and haven't looked back, it's a fantastic lens, and the rag makes it very versatile, the 24 end is wide enough for most landscapes, whereas the 70 end is great for portraits. If mine broke today I wouldn't hesitate in getting another. The 16-35 is on my things to buy list, but quite low down in the priority as the 24-70 does pretty much all I want from it.

Aled

Hoping to pick up a D600 tomorrow and some nice glass , still cant decide between the 16-35 or 24-70 though . The 16-35 i think would suit me better but the allure of the 24-70 is very tempting...
Really depends on your shooting style, which without stating the obvious (ok I am but ...) only you will know! As good a lens as the 24-70 is I'd get the 16-35 first, but that is because it suits me better. YMMV.

Well been playing with the D600 I received from Amazon, very very nice bit of kit but seems to be a grey import as the manual is foreign.
Will be returning it and buying a UK model from Calumet, my D lenses (20 f2.8 & 24 f2.8) seem to work really well on it, better than they did on my D7000.

Managed to leave it on ISO 3200 today by mistake but the images are still very good.

Managed to leave it on ISO 3200 today by mistake but the images are still very good.

That's what I'm finding I'm loving about the D600. Have had a few low light scenarios recently and the D600 has really shown how good it is.

Well been playing with the D600 I received from Amazon, very very nice bit of kit but seems to be a grey import as the manual is foreign.
Will be returning it and buying a UK model from Calumet, my D lenses (20 f2.8 & 24 f2.8) seem to work really well on it, better than they did on my D7000.

Was it actually bought from Amazon or from a 3rd party seller via Amazon.

Seems a bit odd that Amazon UK should sell any grey imports.

Back