Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Just bought a D600 at the weekend and just joined the forum.

I read a lot about the D600 dust issues and it came close to putting me off the camera. Trouble is, as a Nikon user (D7000) I have all Nikon lenses, I wanted to go full frame, the D800 is too many megapixels and the D4 far too expensive so the D600 was really the only way forward.

So far just over 1,400 images and two dust spots. Just ordered a rocket blower and hoping that helps.

Really impressed with the quality of images though, so hopefully the dust thing won't become an issue and it will have been a worthwhile purchase.

Yes, I have. It's hard to quantify the difference but the D600 is better.

Fantastic in low light at really high ISO too.

I've got some sensor wipes but I didn't make the best job of it last time :(
Hi Diego, how did the 3-day job go? Sensor still clean?

Which probs did you encounter during the previous wet sensor cleaning? I'm now using the Eclipse fluid, works well for me.

But I'm beginning to think, I probably should not wet clean right away either, I should try to use other means first to remove the spots, and only if that doesn't work resort to wet cleaning.

Tony and architectfadi, thanks again for the info!

Hi Diego, how did the 3-day job go? Sensor still clean?

Which probs did you encounter during the previous wet sensor cleaning? I'm now using the Eclipse fluid, works well for me.

But I'm beginning to think, I probably should not wet clean right away either, I should try to use other means first to remove the spots, and only if that doesn't work resort to wet cleaning.

Tony and architectfadi, thanks again for the info!

If it is just dust a sensor brush works well. Best to get a proper brush and charge it with rocket blower or canned air before you use it.

Just bought a D600 at the weekend and just joined the forum.

I read a lot about the D600 dust issues and it came close to putting me off the camera. Trouble is, as a Nikon user (D7000) I have all Nikon lenses, I wanted to go full frame, the D800 is too many megapixels and the D4 far too expensive so the D600 was really the only way forward.

So far just over 1,400 images and two dust spots. Just ordered a rocket blower and hoping that helps.

Really impressed with the quality of images though, so hopefully the dust thing won't become an issue and it will have been a worthwhile purchase.

Welcome to the forum. The D600 is a great camera. I bought mine on here with the shutter coconut at just over 3000. Few thousands shots later and still no dust :).

The sensor contamination issue of the d600 is a strange thing indeed.

For the first 365 exposures, my sensor was flawlessly clean. Then, one single spot appeared in an image. When I looked at the sensor, I saw that there were actually two spots on the sensor, one white fluffy looking thing, and one black item. I wet cleaned the sensor, and it was clean again for around 150 exposures, when another three spots, this time smaller, appeared in an image. These spots I could not see on the sensor, even with a magnifier glass. I cleaned the sensor, took two test images, and they were flawlessly clean.

Now the real surprise happened:

Maybe 25 images later, I suddenly see a massive load of spots, dozens. I.e., the problem got massiveley worse after more than 500 exposures. Some of them were dust and removed by the built-in sensor cleaning, but most remained, and I had to wet-clean again.

Strangely, I had to clean a few times because new spots kept appearing, and I wonder whether this was something falling into the sensor from the mirror box while I was cleaning the sensor. Upon the previous cleanings, I had always vacuumed the box in front of the sensor, but not this time.

I went out to take pictures this morning, and a first quick look didn't show any new spots in those.

So I wonder, if the cause of the spots were oil viscosity or excess oil, shouldn't the problem occur all the time, and decrease with time?

Anyway, when there are no spots it's a great camera, but last night I thought ironically that a D800 might be cheaper in the end because those sensor swabs are pretty expensive :)

Last edited:
Here we go, two weeks and 1,800 actuations.

This is a crop showing 100% of the top left hand corner of the image.

004copyf.jpg

I have to remove a bit of dust every couple of trips out with the camera it seems. Quick blow and grab the dust with sensor brush usually does it, although it does need the occasional swab. Saw an image somewhere showing the coating rubbing off the shutter blades. Would imagine that there is only so much can rub off.

I have to remove a bit of dust every couple of trips out with the camera it seems. Quick blow and grab the dust with sensor brush usually does it, although it does need the occasional swab. Saw an image somewhere showing the coating rubbing off the shutter blades. Would imagine that there is only so much can rub off.

It's not very convenient if you're on a busy job out in the open taking 2,000 shots though, and really shouldn't be necessary.

Sent mine back for replacement as it shouldn't be necessary. Happened in under 300 shots but hdew happy to swap.

I'm not sure there's any point in doing this. Mine's brand new, I don't think it had been in the shop long (was the only one they had, they were happy for me to play with it in the shop, yet it only had 80 actuations on it so not many people had been, suggesting they hadn't had it long). So yes, I could swap it for anther new one but if its an endemic problem then surely it'll just reoccur with the next one?

The frustration is I need full frame, it has to be Nikon as all my kit is Nikon, and the only other options are D800 (way too many pixels) or the D4 (way way too dear)!

So given the dust/oil issue that is clearly still ongoing with the D600 I'm in the ridiculous situation whereby there simply isn't a Nikon full frame camera that I can buy, I can't go away from Nikon, yet I need full frame!

I'd rather return it than put up with it. For the price paid it should not need so much maintenance when I had a D90 for years and don't have to touch the thing. Maybe that's just me.

I've just swapped mine for a new one. And it is brand new, just took a photo and checked the actuation count and it said 001.

That said, the battery serial number states 2012, as did the previous one. I wonder how significant that is (ie have they modified production, but the old ones are still coming through).

I knew about the issue when I purchased the camera, but I had no way of knowing how bad it would be. Right now spots on the sensor keep coming back after just a few images, the camera is basically unusable for me, except doing a few test shots to see if the spots are back, and then to see they really are back :)

I agree by the way that this is not all oil we are seeing. If it were oil, it should get better after a while, and not start only after a couple of hundred exposures. I think there is a lot of different stuff in that mirror box and on the sensor, so some rubbed off material could in my humble opinion be part of that. Which is why Nikon replaces the shutter sometimes, apparently. Although also without major success.

I've given up and ordered a D800. Once it arrives, I'll send the D600 back to the vendor, asking them to send it to Nikon for fixing. It's a shame, I really like the D600. I still hope Nikon will offer a real fix for it at some point.

On a funny side note, I made a friend so crazy with my problems that he checked his Olympus OM-D at f22 and also discovered a few spots of dust :)

Last edited:
I saw that Amazon were selling D600's for under £1100 in their Warehouse deals so I jumped in and bought one.
It came today whilst we were out. It was out of sight so I wasn't worried about that but it had been raining so the outer box was a bit wet.
£1100 and not signed for - asking for trouble methinks.
Anyway I excitedly opened the box to find - no battery. Brilliant start.
My wife has a D7000 so that wasn't an issue really as we have a spare.
Next problem - the diopter adjustment wasn't functioning - everything was just a blur.
Took a photo - very blurred.
Talk about disappointed. Still at least Leicester got into the playoffs. That was a blo**dy miracle.

My advice is to avoid the Amazon Warehouse Deals for high end cameras.

I had 5, yes FIVE, D800s in a bid to get one that (to quote them) 'or taken a photograph or two'. A couple had missing batteries, one was missing a strap, but more importantly, they had all been used on an industrial scale.

Check the shutter count to see what mileage the camera has done. The highest of my cursed lot was well over 3000 actuations.

I was going to report them to the ASA unless they changed the website description and looked at ways to stop heavily used cameras being sold as 'used - like new'.

I presume yours is going back. If you get a replacement make sure you check that shuttercount. Remember that you are foregoing Nikon's 2 year warranty for a warehouse deal item as they have no Nikon warranty with them. Before the end of May Nikon have the cashback offer making the camera really attractively priced.

Good luck with the search for your D600.

Ray

Yes it's going back. They didn't give the option of a replacement.
Shutter count was over 2000.
I'm going to leave it for now I think.
I was considering getting one from the Airport if the price was OK. I don't suppose the cashback applies to those purchases though.

Yes it's going back. They didn't give the option of a replacement.
Shutter count was over 2000.
I'm going to leave it for now I think.
I was considering getting one from the Airport if the price was OK. I don't suppose the cashback applies to those purchases though.

I wouldn't count on good prices at the airport. I looked at Gatwick and could have bought for less on the high street. Don't see why the cash back shouldn't be valid though.

The deal was too good, got myself the D600 and a free gps dongle with the cash back is pretty sweet.

Doesn't work ,how weird.
Can I use this in aperture priority?
Or I have a bug:(
Works perfectly on mine. Mode shouldn't make any difference and I mainly use aperture priority too. Just to be clear, you are looking through the view finder and then pressing the fn button? You should see the - ----|---- + symbol bottom centre (if I could photograph the view finder I would!)

Works perfectly on mine. Mode shouldn't make any difference and I mainly use aperture priority too. Just to be clear, you are looking through the view finder and then pressing the fn button? You should see the - ----|---- + symbol bottom centre (if I could photograph the view finder I would!)

Your a star, I thought I was going to see the big colour thingy weel lol
I understand how it work now ,I'm an idiot but happy

1000 shot and the sensor as no dust or oil on it so far :)
Ordered the wet cleaning swab as they will come handy at some point.

1000 shot and the sensor as no dust or oil on it so far :)
Ordered the wet cleaning swab as they will come handy at some point.

I have spoken far to quick, did a proper check tonight and the sensor is covered dust and oil i think.
I'm just going to return it to John Lewis and ask for my money back, not sure how that goes , got the camera Tuesday???

I have spoken far to quick, did a proper check tonight and the sensor is covered dust and oil i think.
I'm just going to return it to John Lewis and ask for my money back, not sure how that goes , got the camera Tuesday???

Shouldn't think you will have any issues with JL.

If you want FF then the D800 of the latest offerings or S/H D700/D3/D3S otherwise.

Folks,

Looking for a little advice,
I've had a D7000 since the turn of the year and I'm very impressed with it, on my recent trip to Paris it really performed much better than I ever hoped.

However I've found a love of prime lenses and I took the Nikon 24mm f2.8, the 35mm f1.8 DX and the Sigma 17-50.

While the 17-50 was excellent I just didn't like the bulk, the 24mm remained almost an ever present alongside the 35mm.

I found the 24mm just wasn't quite wide enough on a DX body with the 17mm coming in handy a couple of times.

I've been considering an upgrade to the D600 as the full frame would give me A. really good high ISO and low light and also the removal of crap factor which would leave my 24mm (or possibly a 20mm) as wide enough for my needs.

Obviously I could add a 35mm f2 and the 50mm f1.8G to effectively give me the same focal lengths as I already have on DX and potentially an 85 f1.8G for some more length.

I'm just wondering if anyone has made a similar move and did you stick to primes?

Back