Nikon D600 / D610 Official Users thread - Anything D6x0 related

Thanks - I wouldn’t need low light focussing usually. I’m just wondering why those 2 haven’t sold in 2 months

Hmm, can you a sensor clean with the shutter open? I will have to check tonight whilst I'm packing the camera up to go back to Nikon for a clean.

Got it back yet ?

i love my D610, it has character. I use it as a backup/2nd body. I always smile when I'm reviewing the images it makes. Only hunts for me every now and then, and if you 'help' it out, it soon sorts itself out. Don't be scared of it, the colours are lovely.

they are not the best to focus in low light, but other than that very, very capable cameras. if the oil issues arises then i think Nikon will replace with a d610.

So far they are steadfastly refusing to replace mine. I've just had it back from Nikon service after a sensor clean and it was just as bad as when I sent it in - they have offered to do it again but I'm not confident they will improve the situation.

Having said that, I think the D600 is a very underrated camera. People concentrate on the oil problem and ignore the great performance.

The oil problem was only meant to affect the first 1500 images.
I have not had a problem since I have had mine.
But, I'll be selling mine since I now have a 750. I'll use the 7200 as a back up.

Hi Kendo,

My D600 is way past the 1500 images mark - 20-odd thousand when I sent it into Nikon a few weeks ago.

TBH, I am seriously unimpressed with Nikon Service's standard of work and attitude. Not only did the sensor have many of the oil spots that were there when I sent it in (I compared before and after test images) but there were a number of new ones plus a very large smear of oil on the bottom left corner of the sensor too. There's no way it should have been returned to me in that state and their attitude to my complaint was very casual and amounted to send it back and we'll do it again. No thanks, I'll do it myself.

I did a clean and then shot about 100 images on Saturday and there are already a few spots showing up. this experience is seriously affecting my desire to go out and take photos so I'm also considering selling and maybe getting a used D800 or even going back to crop again. I have to do something to rekindle my interest.

Go back to them Steve and demand they replace with a D610.

@Bristolian , Hi Steve, sounds like you must have one of the bad ones. It looks like it should be replaced.
I've only cleaned the sensor once, a few weeks ago - just the usual two or three dust spots that were a bit annoying.

My 7200 is better in low light than the 600, and the 750 is much better.

Still umming and erring about venturing into FF. I see a pair of d600s in the classifieds for a long time - is this because of the oil problem ? Or they're pretty old ? Or rubbish ? Or... {insert another answer here}

I was thinking Sony but as I have a Nikon lens that would be ok, it would be cheaper for me to stay Nikon, especially as Sony glass is £££.

AFAIK the D600 & 610 are very similar, and those 2 come with grips IIRC. The biggest weaknesses of the D6XX is the *relatively* poor focussing and lack of flippy rear screen, but other than that they're pretty darn good. The D750 is also about 5oz lighter, if that makes a difference.

Thanks Toni. - d750 out of my reach at the moment but could be an aim

I'm not really gassing exactly, but I'm also aware that some of the slightly better cameras are becoming affordable thanks to newer models. I've come really close to a D810 but don't want the weight & lack of flippy screen & huge file size puts me off. I like the idea of a D750 with flip screen & better focussing system but it's still an enthusiast design instead of the pro design like the D8XX series, and that's disappointing. Wish it had things like the eyepiece shutter, single function buttons and a wider spread of AF points.

If I do upgrade then my 610 will be in the classifieds.

Go back to them Steve and demand they replace with a D610.
@Bristolian , Hi Steve, sounds like you must have one of the bad ones. It looks like it should be replaced.
I've only cleaned the sensor once, a few weeks ago - just the usual two or three dust spots that were a bit annoying.

Hi folks, I left Nikon a really bad review in their customer survey and they've responded via email. They maintain that the camera was tested before they returned it to me but don't have an answer to how there were so many spots (and a large oil smear) on the sensor after just one test shot. The person who sent the email suggests that if I send it back for cleaning again in the near future it will be replaced. So, starting tomorrow I will be taking the camera to work with me and heading off to the local marina for some practice with it - let's see how quickly the sensor gets gummed up again :)

A quick question folks: does anyone use a teleconverter with their D600/610?

In the past I had a Kenko 1.7x tc which I used on several DX bodies with a Nikon AF-S 70-300VR lens but sold the tc when I bought a Sigma 150-600. The Siggy is now long gone but the 70-300 remains and I was thinking of getting another tc to use with it - most likely a Kenko Teleplus HD DGX 2.0X but the D600/610 doesn't appear in the compatible camera list on their web site.

I know I will loose 2 stops of light and that might make the D600's AF even flakier and I won't get optimum IQ it might just be good enough for local airshows and motor sports. I don't pixel peep (as a rule) and being able to count the number of rivets holding a plane together isn't of interest so a slight loss of IQ won't matter to me :)

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated :)

If you aren’t in a rush I have a kenko x2 and a 610. I’ve just sent the 70-300 to mpb. If you want me to try a test let me know.

Hi gremlin, do you use the x2 with the D610 and does it AF and meter okay?

Cheers gremlin - guess I will have to look out for a used 150-600 lens then :( or maybe hire one when I know I'm going to need it :)

D610 now £619 at E finity...........thought I bought well at £649!!!

D600 has arrived, with ( according to previous owner ) a replacement d610 shutter

Not had a chance to use it yet apart from half a dozen snaps in the kitchen

Only got a 50mm 1.8g to use with it :tumbleweed:

Soo, FF. hmmm..initial impressions with a quick blat this morning

- needs more care when shooting than crop
- shallow DoF is not always a good thing as it’s easy to miss-focus
- keen to learn more and quickly !

Should be fun [emoji3]

Soo, FF. hmmm..initial impressions with a quick blat this morning

- needs more care when shooting than crop
- shallow DoF is not always a good thing as it’s easy to miss-focus
- keen to learn more and quickly !

Should be fun [emoji3]

Same with higher MP sensors that many desire, there's much less room for error. I think shallow dof is well over used too. It's just a matter of adjusting your technique, it'll become more natural with practice.

It definitely suits what I bought it for ie cars and coffee meets on a Sunday morning ( amongst other things )

So my D600 is heading back to Nikon service for another sensor clean :(

Less than 300 shutter actuations since I got it back at the beginning of February. If they don't offer a replacement this time the camera will be being traded in for something else - most likely a D610 but maybe a D800.

Less than 300 shutter actuations since I got it back at the beginning of February. If they don't offer a replacement this time the camera will be being traded in for something else - most likely a D610 but maybe a D800.

Let’s hope Nikon do the decent thing.

Real pain. Hope it gets sorted once and for all.

That’s excellent news. No it is really. Just make a fuss and push for that D610!

Yeah, I'm a little optimistic that it'll turn out okay. After the last time I was hugely critical in their customer satisfaction survey and had a conversation with one of their agents who suggested that if the camera went back in a reasonably quick time it would likely get replaced. Fingers crossed :)

Well, it just goes to show that being a pessimist is more aking to real life. My D600 was returned on Monday and a test show on Monday night shows 52 (yes, that's fifty-two) spots on the sensor :(

Either the technicians employed at Nikon Service are incompetent or there's an issue with this camera. Either way I'm having to borrow a friends D700 for this weekend as I'm due to shoot a charity event.

They really don't want to send me one of their customer satisfaction surveys right now :mad:

Do I send it back again or get it cleaned locally and PX it for something else? Maybe it's time to look at alternatives to Nikon :eek:

Can you phone and speak to a real person at Nikon ? Or is it all just email

I do have the name and phone number of one of their customer services people but I need to chill out a bit before I try to call. I'm going to get out with the camera on Saturday and see how the spots affect real images (as opposed to test ones of a white sheet of card).

Back