Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

Use Live View to see the effect/customise White Balance settings.
In Live View hold the WB button and using the rear wheel cycle through the settings, when you reach the Kelvin setting use the Front Wheel to adjust Colour Temperature and preview the changes.

Great for custom adjustments by eye,

Thanks to Bigsmiff for this tip.

Use Live View to see the effect/customise White Balance settings.
In Live View hold the WB button and using the rear wheel cycle through the settings, when you reach the Kelvin setting use the Front Wheel to adjust Colour Temperature and preview the changes.

Great for custom adjustments by eye,

Thanks to Bigsmiff for this tip.

Thats a great tip Trev i am going to try that out later (y) it seems there is still a lot to learn about this fantastic piece of kit despite me having it for a while now, and nice to see this thread bought back to life :D

Sounds like a good deal, go for it if you can (y)

I love my D700, it's simply the best camera I've ever had :) I'm very curious though towards that new 24-120mm. I'd like to see some photo's of it. Is it as good as the 24-70mm or even better?

Me too, i had the Canon 24-105 IS:clap: and only brought my Nikon 24-70 because i was not sure if the 24-120 was any good, now i am actually thinking of selling my 24-70 in favour of the 24-120 once the price levels off.(y)

I think I need to get convinced by photo's and more reviews before I make any steps towards that 24-120. I've got a wedding in May and I'm the wedding photographer. So plenty of time.

I keep thinking that the AF illuminator on by D700 is not working, until I re-read the manual :thinking:.

With the single point (or dynamic) AF mode selected and in AF-S mode, where my D700 pretty much lives, the AF lamp only works when the centre AF point (out of the 51 that I normally choose from :wacky:) is the active focal point. Why :shrug:!???

This is really frustrating when your doing close-up, large aperture work (especially with wide angle lenses) and you want to choose your own AF point without moving the camera to re-compose before shooting. In very low light (like when you are using flash guns to provide all of the lighting), the camera struggles to find focus and so I usually have to 'waste' one of my two SB900s, by sticking it on the hot shoe and using its built-in infa-red AF beam to ensure that I get the subject in focus, which then robs me of the possibility of having both flashes to use off-camera.

Shooting in scene recognition (or whatever Nikon call the auto AF mode) will ensure that the AF light on the D700 is always available, but I don't trust the camera's choice of AF points :|.

Anyway, I mention all this just as a reminder to people that the D700 (and probably other Nikons too) functions in this way. As I said, I really thought that my AF lamp was broken, until I went through the trouble-shooting guide in the manual again. I've also seen a couple of threads on this over the years and thought that a post here might serve to warn/remind newer users to this (damn fine) model of camera, that the AF illuminator is not designed to work with every focus mode/focus point ;).

That aside, I'm still in love with my D700 and the only thing that stops me from shooting with it even more is the terrible thought that I am wearing out the shutter and one day the camera will be uneconomical to repair :crying:. I tend to use my D90 instead, for the less important stuff :D.

I keep thinking that the AF illuminator on by D700 is not working, until I re-read the manual :thinking:.

With the single point (or dynamic) AF mode selected and in AF-S mode, where my D700 pretty much lives, the AF lamp only works when the centre AF point (out of the 51 that I normally choose from :wacky:) is the active focal point. Why :shrug:!???

This is really frustrating when your doing close-up, large aperture work (especially with wide angle lenses) and you want to choose your own AF point without moving the camera to re-compose before shooting. In very low light (like when you are using flash guns to provide all of the lighting), the camera struggles to find focus and so I usually have to 'waste' one of my two SB900s, by sticking it on the hot shoe and using its built-in infa-red AF beam to ensure that I get the subject in focus, which then robs me of the possibility of having both flashes to use off-camera.

Shooting in scene recognition (or whatever Nikon call the auto AF mode) will ensure that the AF light on the D700 is always available, but I don't trust the camera's choice of AF points :|.

Anyway, I mention all this just as a reminder to people that the D700 (and probably other Nikons too) functions in this way. As I said, I really thought that my AF lamp was broken, until I went through the trouble-shooting guide in the manual again. I've also seen a couple of threads on this over the years and thought that a post here might serve to warn/remind newer users to this (damn fine) model of camera, that the AF illuminator is not designed to work with every focus mode/focus point ;).

That aside, I'm still in love with my D700 and the only thing that stops me from shooting with it even more is the terrible thought that I am wearing out the shutter and one day the camera will be uneconomical to repair :crying:. I tend to use my D90 instead, for the less important stuff :D.

Do you find the AF illumination on your speedlight works regardless what focus point you're using?
I struggle to get my head round what makes the AF illumination work with my D3/SB800 combo. It seems that it doesn't work then I fiddle with a few setting, it still doesn't work so I put them back and suddenly it works.

As far as your shutter is concerned, you should find out what the expected shutter life is and calculate how many years you could shoot 100 shots a day for before you reach it. You won't worry about shutter life once you do that.

Think about all the old pro use 35mm slrs that are still going strong despite shutter counts that are probably in the hundreds of thousands if not millions. The only reason noone worries about them is because you can't find out what the shutter count is.

By the time you wear the shutter out, you will be able to buy a D700 for £200 off ebay. Just get out and use it as much as you can!

I bought a D700 yesterday to upgrade from my D300.

I took a few snaps of Dad's car to test it out earlier, but can't work out how to get the photos off the CF card onto my mac. I don't have a CF card reader here, so want to do it via usb.

I can't find the setting on my camera to change it to mass storage device so I can see the files. Can anyone help?

Do you find the AF illumination on your speedlight works regardless what focus point you're using?
I struggle to get my head round what makes the AF illumination work with my D3/SB800 combo. It seems that it doesn't work then I fiddle with a few setting, it still doesn't work so I put them back and suddenly it works.

As far as your shutter is concerned, you should find out what the expected shutter life is and calculate how many years you could shoot 100 shots a day for before you reach it. You won't worry about shutter life once you do that.

Think about all the old pro use 35mm slrs that are still going strong despite shutter counts that are probably in the hundreds of thousands if not millions. The only reason noone worries about them is because you can't find out what the shutter count is.

I assume that the SB900's infa-red AF works with the individual AF selection and single servo AF, as when I put it on the camera never seems to hunt for focus, whereas without it, I'm lost :shrug:!? To be honest though, I never really notice the faint red beam on the subject, as I'm usually looking at the composition and trying to select the best AF point with the thumb-wheel :thinking:.

As for the shutter, it's rated at 150,000 actuations. So far, I've taken about 15% of that figure in under two years. So, the shutter could last for another 15 years, I suppose. By then, I guess that all photographs will be taken in 3D, using auto-HDR on something like this :D ...

Canikon.jpg

Another fun way to look at this is that every click of the shutter costs you 1p (150,000 clicks for 1,500GBP and 1,500x100 = 150,000) :D!

By the time you wear the shutter out, you will be able to buy a D700 for £200 off ebay. Just get out and use it as much as you can!

I know, you're right ;)! It was only semi-humorous remark on my part, but I do tend to use the D90 in its place, when it comes to doing various lens tests or flash gun settings experiments around the house (which can add a surprising amount of actuations to the total :naughty:).

For 'proper' photography though, the D700 is always my 'go to' camera, unless it's for travel or wildlife, when the D90's smaller size (and smaller lenses) and 'cropped' 12MP sensor are more suitable :).

In fact, I have two complete separate kits - one DX and one FX. Using the DX stuff is liking having a little holiday (as everything is light and easy), but once I pick up the (often 'gripped') D700 and the large zoom (70-200mm f/2.8), then I really remember what a joy it can be to work with such solid, professional equipment (y).

Hopefully, the D700 will carry on doing its thing for a long time to come, as I really don't have the budget to replace it any more (having spent so much money on glass).

Andy - re D700 shutters, I'm not sure how reliable the info is but I read somewhere that a replacement shutter costs around £300.

Andy - re D700 shutters, I'm not sure how reliable the info is but I read somewhere that a replacement shutter costs around £300.

Really, that's pretty good :).

As I said before, wearing the shutter out is not really a serious concern of mine - I just posted that remark as it was the only vaguely negative thing that I could think of saying about the D700 and I wanted some balance in my post :D.

I've just got an 85 1.4 to go with my D700, all I need now is another flash and a second D700 and my kit is complete!

LOL, NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) is kicking in. I was reasonably happy with what I had (D70), but then I went full frame so a whole new set of lenses was required. At first it was Sigma's as I didn't have the funds for the Nikons, but gradually the Sigma's have gone and I'm now fully Nikon again. But I wouldn't mind a grip, as I love using the one on my Nikon F100 and I shoot so much of my stuff in portrait. And an extra flashgun would be really useful......;)

Don't get me wrong, it's not acquisition for acquisitions sake, I always regard gear as just tools in a toolbox, but without a doubt, the upgrades and additional lenses have increased the capability of my gear, and the image quality is better than on the Sigma's.

Don't get me wrong, it's not acquisition for acquisitions sake, I always regard gear as just tools in a toolbox, but without a doubt, the upgrades and additional lenses have increased the capability of my gear, and the image quality is better than on the Sigma's.

The first symptoms of NAS are denial and self convincing....

My name is Tom, and Im a NASoholic.

I've been enjoying using my D700 over the festive period. Bought an SB900 and a Giottos tripod recently, looking to get a new lens though. It's a toss up between the 85mm f/1.4 G or the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II.

I've been enjoying using my D700 over the festive period. Bought an SB900 and a Giottos tripod recently, looking to get a new lens though. It's a toss up between the 85mm f/1.4 G or the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II.

Gotta be a tough decision. Looked at 85 1.4 myself. Decided against it. Don't really NEED it and given the low light performance of D700 and razor thin DOF at 1.4 I'm sticking with The Beast and 70-200. VR1. Still get enough separation at 2.8 for my stuff, happily live with the bokeh.

Go with the VRII - you know you want too :naughty:

I have just bought a D700 and Nikon 28-300FX lens and a Nikon SB900 Flashgun. I am finding my way round all the functions, and looking forward to getting out and using it. I still have my D200 and Nikon 18-200DX kit. I have my eye on a Nikon 14-24 g lens. But it could be Very costly..............as the wife say "a new three peice suite first".

I have just bought a D700 and Nikon 28-300FX lens and a Nikon SB900 Flashgun. I am finding my way round all the functions, and looking forward to getting out and using it. I still have my D200 and Nikon 18-200DX kit. I have my eye on a Nikon 14-24 g lens. But it could be Very costly..............as the wife say "a new three peice suite first".

So she's given the go ahead??
14-24 f/2.8
24-70 f/2.8
70-200 f/2.8

Thats what she meant, right?

:LOL:

Is it posible to set the FN button to do fore than one function. I have set mine to "live view" when pressed. But without trying "the idea" on my camera. Could I say press the FN button and turn the comand wheel and lets say bring in "erm" spot metering. Or is the FN button only there for one "quick function".

You can only assign one function to the FN button. If you want more the best option is to set it to access My Menu (having added the functions you want to My Menu).

You can only assign one function to the FN button. If you want more the best option is to set it to access My Menu (having added the functions you want to My Menu).

Cheers. I did think after my post I wonder if I can do it "via" my menu.(y)

just jopined the club,should be picking upmy new d700 and 24-70mm lens on friday.
cant wait

excellent combo big jump from a d90, weight may be an issue with the 24-70, would also consider a 50mm . enjoy the ca,era as it's a fantastic bit of kit(y)

ive still got a 50mm 1.8d version.
when the wifes madness wears of i may look at getting the 1.4g version,but ive been told ive been banned from buying anymore kit for a year(it was here that bought me the new cam and lens)

The addition of a 80-200 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8 makes it even nicer :) My AFS 50mm f1.4G lives on my F80 (soon to be F5 or F6) as the 24-70 is so good the 50mm doesn't get a look in.

I'm not blown away by the 24-70. Although I still use it as my main lens for weddings, I just don't seem to have clicked with it and there was an anti climax with me having lusted over it for so long. I love the 80-200 though, can't get enough of it for portraits. I'll soon be selling to get a 70-200 VR instead I reckon.

Back