Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

:thinking:

Why is it that there is a sudden influx of people wanting a D700 :shrug:

:thinking: Saying that - there seems to be almost the same in people selling them....

Just curious as to why really.... Not as in why they want one but as to the sudden on-slaught of "wants" in the wanted section...

Maybe because rumors of a replacement have gone away and been replaced by rumors of no replacement this year.

Apparently there's an announcement due thursday, should make things more clear.

Gotcha - Thought for min it was that they were getting mixed up with this new D7000 (D90 replacement) :LOL:

Nice one John. Long stay I hope !

Hand on heart, this is with me until it falls to pieces....

I've also sourced two nicely priced primes - 35mm f2.0 and an 85mm f1.8. I also wanted the 20mm but opted to save the money until I know where I stand over my job situation.

:):):)

Can't help but feel a little responsible for this John. :( Lol. Enjoy it fella, good choice with the lenses too! Maybe see you at this model meet-up if it goes ahead?

Can't help but feel a little responsible for this John. :( Lol. Enjoy it fella, good choice with the lenses too! Maybe see you at this model meet-up if it goes ahead?

You and William Lee, rotten scoundrels :LOL:

In fairness I was edging towards the D700 initially and changed my mind at the last minute - don't think I ever came to terms with that. Still picked up a good deal and what I hope are two cracking lenses. I really dig the idea of primes and love 35mm, something about it that really works. The 85mm I picked up as a backup so I could go long and also for portraits.

Was also thinking about the 20mm down the line but having looked on flickr it looks too wide for my style. So it's just the two lenses I'll be sticking with - had I have been able to throw caution to the wind I would have gone for the 85 f1.4 :LOL:

I should have it tomorrow (y)

Hand on heart, this is with me until it falls to pieces....

I've also sourced two nicely priced primes - 35mm f2.0 and an 85mm f1.8. I also wanted the 20mm but opted to save the money until I know where I stand over my job situation.

:):):)

I'll remind you of the above, the next time you falter :D

Both of those lenses are peaches. I've had a 85mm mounted on my D700 for about 80% of the time since mid-summer. Great as a general use lens when you've some distance to play with. The 35mm I like for shots with a little more context. Get close enough to your subject and you can still get some nice subject/background separation at f/2.

Maybe a 50mm f/1.8 as well, John?

You and William Lee, rotten scoundrels :LOL:

In fairness I was edging towards the D700 initially and changed my mind at the last minute - don't think I ever came to terms with that. Still picked up a good deal and what I hope are two cracking lenses. I really dig the idea of primes and love 35mm, something about it that really works. The 85mm I picked up as a backup so I could go long and also for portraits.

Was also thinking about the 20mm down the line but having looked on flickr it looks too wide for my style. So it's just the two lenses I'll be sticking with - had I have been able to throw caution to the wind I would have gone for the 85 f1.4 :LOL:

I should have it tomorrow (y)

I thought it was my fault you'd originally decided against the D700 to buy the 5Dmk2! Ah well, you've finally seen sense. ;)

Oh, and I'm glad you didn't end up buying that 85mm f/1.4 off Chris otherwise I wouldn't have been able to! :LOL:

I got one too but didn't like it. I found it difficult to see the whole of the viewfinder with it on. Must be the shape of my face or something! :LOL:

I don't think that they are for everyone to be honest. Mine is in addition to a DK17M though. Not sure if that makes a difference but the magnified viewfinder is WONDERFUL and the best twenty odd quid accessory I have ever bought.

Maybe a 50mm f/1.8 as well, John?

Had I've been able to stretch my budget just that little bit more I would have gone for a 50mm lens but with funds a bit tight at the moment I've had to draw a line at the body and two lenses.

I'm almost scared to ask what a difference the 85 f1.4 is compared to the 85 f1.8 lol

Had I've been able to stretch my budget just that little bit more I would have gone for a 50mm lens but with funds a bit tight at the moment I've had to draw a line at the body and two lenses.

I'm almost scared to ask what a difference the 85 f1.4 is compared to the 85 f1.8 lol

I think if you stick with just the 35mm and 85mm then you'll find yourself becoming more creative which should be an interesting journey in itself.

I would say the 1.8 is probably 80% the lens the 1.4 is, but at a third of the cost. Focusing wide open with a close subject is very tricky at times. The slightest movement from either the camera or the subject can mean missing focus. It's a great lens, but I wouldn't be too heartbroken if I went back to using the 1.8.

I brought the D700 and 35mm to work with me so I can take a long walk home and stretch it's legs.. I took a few sample shots yesterday in the house and was very impressed. My livingroom is really dark so I cranked up the ISO to 1600 and the files look amazing.

I brought the D700 and 35mm to work with me so I can take a long walk home and stretch it's legs.. I took a few sample shots yesterday in the house and was very impressed. My livingroom is really dark so I cranked up the ISO to 1600 and the files look amazing.

How do you find it compares to the 5Dmk2?

ordering a d700 as a backup camera on monday.
and was thinking of getting this lens with it.
anyone used this lens yet ???

The Nikon 24-120mm f4 G AF-S ED VR
£1047@ wharehouse express

<snip>

I think you may be the first member of TP to be getting this lens. Would love to hear your input on this lens, from everyday use. I love the range it offers, but can't see myself parting with my 24-70 AF-S for this one .. but then :thinking::shrug:

How do you find it compares to the 5Dmk2?

Not had enough of a chance to say with 100% certainty. My initial thoughts are positive, the feel of the camera is very good and seems to be of solid construction. I find the main and sub command dials easy to use compared to the command dial and scroll wheel of the Canon.

I have purchased the DK17 eyecup which has made life a lot easier (normally having to take off my glasses).

When I went out tonight I did struggle, more with the 35mm focal length than anything else. It's going to take some time to get used to but I will persevere because i know it will deliver.

It's also less forgiving than the 5D with it's 21MP given how easily I could reduce the size to sharpen up an image and still print it at reasonable sizes.

Haven't yet used the 85mm so I have that to look forward to.

I really want to focus on producing some excellent images now.

I think it's widely regarded as pretty much the worst Nikon lens currently available.

I really want to focus on producing some excellent images now.

That makes all of us :D

<I think it's widely regarded as pretty much the worst Nikon lens currently available.>

That was the old version.
The new version isn't available until 23rd September.

I think I will play it safe and go for a Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 G AF-S ED
as Im just changing to Nikon from Canon can any of you rate this lens for me
my main canon lens was a 25-70 2.8 L so should be similar ??
(y) :thumbsdown:

The Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 is a very highly regarded lens, Don't know how it compares to the Canon version.

Are you going for a name change? kennynikon has a ring to it.

Heavy, but the 24-70 is simply the best lens I've ever used.

The Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 is a very highly regarded lens, Don't know how it compares to the Canon version.

Are you going for a name change? kennynikon has a ring to it.

I thought of Numptynikon :nuts: ha ha

If you mean the 24-70L then yes, the Nikon equivalent is at least as good as the Canon if not better. I had the Canon and now own the Nikon. Both are great lenses.

I've now have upgraded my 70-200mm VR to the 70-200mm VRII :woot:

I'd like to know as I've already got a Nikon TC-14E (AF-I - MKI) I'd like to know whats the best Nikon TC for the VRII... Would it be the TC-17E II :shrug:

I've now have upgraded my 70-200mm VR to the 70-200mm VRII :woot:

I'd like to know as I've already got a Nikon TC-14E (AF-I - MKI) I'd like to know whats the best Nikon TC for the VRII... Would it be the TC-17E II :shrug:

I own the TC-17E II but only using the 70-200 VR I version and I would concider a deal on a swap for the 1.4 as i think its more suited to the VR I version of the 70-200

I own the TC-17E II but only using the 70-200 VR I version and I would concider a deal on a swap for the 1.4 as i think its more suited to the VR I version of the 70-200

Mmmm that's worth considering & out of curiousity what deal would you be looking at Ian :shrug:

edit: Just that someone I know is holding on to their TC-17E II for me....

Last edited:
Hi Steve.

Not sure to be honest but if your curious to see how the 1.7 performs over the 1.4, I am sure we can come to some arrangement

I've had a TC-17E II (at same time as the TC-14)- but that was with the 70-200 VR & sold it (TC-17) due to people/reviews that the images were soft with that combo...

The VRII hasn't arrived yet (postie - but he's got til 1pm) times gonna drag :bang: :LOL:

Is worth considering thou Ian - thanks (y)

Not to talk myself out of a possible arrangement - but have you seen this 70-200 & TC-17E II iirc its been posted on TP somewhere in the threads...

Its just a thought .....

:woot: A Nikon 70-200mm VRII is now sitting on my D700....

:confused: sorry peeps just have to show my excitement - as OH isn't that excited as me......:naughty:

:woot: A Nikon 70-200mm VRII is now sitting on my D700....

:confused: sorry peeps just have to show my excitement - as OH isn't that excited as me......:naughty:

:LOL: I'm pleased for you - I've been delighted with the same combo. Wasn't sure how much difference I'd notice between the Mk1 and Mk2 but it was there to be seen on the D700 (y)

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... :bonk:... sorry.

Just needed to let it out and tell someone that my D700 arrived today and I'm gob smacked by how good it is :bonk: My colleagues here at work are clueless and my wife gave up on me a long time ago :D.

Seriously, over the last 8 months I've moved from a D90 > D300 > D700 and was always a little dubious as to how much better the D700 would be from a D300s. But after snapping 3 (yes 3) shots here in my office under artificial lighting I'm literally shocked at how good the pictures look (y).

Shocked I tell thee... shocked.

All of my DX lenses are now sold, only the D90 and grip to go and then I can get a second one of these bad boys.

I can totally see the appeal! I just want to get out there and start playing now...

And Mathew, hand on my heart it's pretty much the best thing I've ever bought! Oh yeah I also picked up the 18-35 lens as well... oh how I've missed these angles :)

Last edited:
.....over the last 8 months I've moved from a D90 > D300 > D700

:thinking: Glad to see I wasn't or not the only one who does this :LOL:

Back