Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

Y15HAL said:
Simon is that new or used?

Digital rev have them on eBay for £1550....

Ring them first and see if they have stock. I picked up a D700 from digitalrev recently after spending a couple weeks looking for one. They said it was last one in stock. You might be waiting a long time if it goes on backorder.

BTW I thought production on the D700 stopped just before the events in Japan? I have heard we could be waiting until next year for new bodies and lens stocks.

I personally would prefer to buy from HDEW then Digitalrev eBay. I spoke to Tash at HDEW and the service was fantasitic. I know they do grey imports but I got a good UK service.

Thinking I'm gonna be after two d700s by the end of the year. I just pray by then that the price drops with a possible new d800 coming out / some great second hand offers come up like before!

Their sales may be good, but i wonder what they are like when it comes to dealing with problems.....

They do seem to have a good price on it though!

I'll see if i can get one used, otherwise i might have to buy new! :( :)

I couldn't afford the 24-70 so I went for the 24-120 f4 and it is actually a really good combo plus I wanted the extra reach of the 120. I used it the other day in fairly dark lighting and it was superb.

I've gt the 24-70 and 70-200! ;)

Hence being so broke and needing to save all the money I can! Otherwise I wouldn't think twice and would have bought the d700 new by now....

There is no question The Beast is just perfect on the D700. I absolutely love mine.

Last edited:
I've gt the 24-70 and 70-200! ;)

Hence being so broke and needing to save all the money I can! Otherwise I wouldn't think twice and would have bought the d700 new by now....
i had a 70-200mm but swapped it for a mint rare.
55704-foto1.jpg

and a 70-200mm is next on my list again.

Quick question.

This DK-M17, do I also need to buy the DK-19 as well? If not, what's the advantage to using both?

The problem with having two D700s is that it's double the expense on accessories!

Quick question.

This DK-M17, do I also need to buy the DK-19 as well? If not, what's the advantage to using both?

The problem with having two D700s is that it's double the expense on accessories!

The DK-M17 is a magnifying eyepiece. It enlarges what you see in the viewfinder.
The DK-19 is purely an eyeshade that stops extraneous light thereby making the viewfinder appear brighter. I find the data easier to read with the eyecup (easier to view illuminated symbols in full darkness).

Perhaps it is because I need glasses to read, but I find the combination of both accessories a distinct viewing advantage.

Beware that the rubber eyecup can separate from the ring (loose interference fit) if the camera swings against your clothes and can be lost that way.

Ive just removed my DK-19 (well it fell off actually) and I now prefer it with just the DK-17M and the orignal rubber.
I found the DK-19 trapped dirt and just generally got in the way and didnt offer a great benefit to the way I shoot.

Quickie for you chaps/chapesses!!

What CF cards do you recommend getting?

I'll be shooting the odd wedding as a second, and a few indoor events etc....so no sports or anything where i would need a high burst rate...

p.s. i don't have hundreds to spend! ;) This camera is going to make me skint!! :( And i'll have to buy a few cards aswell......

Y15HAL said:

I'll be shooting the odd wedding as a second, and a few indoor events etc....so no sports or anything where i would need a high burst rate...

p.s. i don't have hundreds to spend! ;) This camera is going to make me skint!! :( And i'll have to buy a few cards aswell......

I got the 8gb sandisk ultras for £20 from 7dayshop they have been fine shooting stock car racing and managed really well

I use the Lexar PRO 400x 4gb & 8gb UDMA CF cards in mine - Amazon have them in for £34.99 at the moment....

:thinking: Only because I have their dual card reader :LOL:

Thanks for the advice guys! :)

I think most of the 8GB's on the market should be quick enough then......

Simon...your link doesn't work.....

Its working now!! I tried clicking on both parts! It said "invalid http blah blah blah......"

I'll keep that sandisk one in mind come order time....Thanks! :)

Y15HAL said:

I use small 4GB sandisk extreme (60MB/s) cards in the D700 as it only has the one slot and I like to limit any potential losses.

Back