Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

then another tx on hotshoe to trigger OCF, just seems a bit borgish being used to the simple IR remote with my D90 ;)

then another tx on hotshoe to trigger OCF, just seems a bit borgish being used to the simple IR remote with my D90 ;)

Any remote will have a transmitter and receiver. Any receiver will be a small box with a cable attached. Not much difference really. I use the setup you are talking about and it works fine

Didn't mean it wouldn't work and I appreciate the responses, I've tested it before on the D90, I guess I'm just being a neat freak and don't want cables really but maybe it is the best solution...

Its the main thing I miss from my d40, that little remote is superb. I have now switched to using the RF602's.

@cowasaki @DpM Thanks guys going to see if I can get hold of an extra transmitter and cable and give it a go like you say.

hmm for some reason I thought my ML-L3 remote would work with the D700 but it doesn't, any recommendations for a wireless remote?

I use yongnuo YN-126 on mine it's suppose to have a 100 or 200m range- not that I'd wish to leave my gripped D700 & 24-70 or 70-200 VRII attached to it at that distance away :LOL:

Not sure how many people are doing HDR, but one of the things I liked on my D90 was the ability to use the Self Timer of 3 Shots combined with bracketing.

The D700 doesn't have this per se it's a bit different and I found this useful video explaining how to use the Interval timer to shoot 9 Brackets with one shutter press.

[YOUTUBE]g0Oa2zyYaJk[/YOUTUBE]

I really need to start playing around with the D700 more and exploring the settings etc.

Had it for 6 months now and haven't even delved in to the menu's a great deal. Might have to find a decent book on the subject :)

I really need to start playing around with the D700 more and exploring the settings etc.

Had it for 6 months now and haven't even delved in to the menu's a great deal. Might have to find a decent book on the subject :)

I got both David Buschs Nikon guide to the D700 (only cos I had the same book for the D300s) & Darrell Youngs - mastering the D700 out of the two books I prefered the Darrell Young book which seemed better althou I still havent completely read thru both for a wee while - saying that I havent a clue on where they are neither :cautious:

My personal pref was to forgo looking at a manual at all, instead choosing to buy a good beginners photography book (like Understanding exposure) and then figuring out how to apply things learnt about Photography to the camera I was using.

Off topic but lesson learnt after some scratches received on my D90 LCD (even with the plastic cover in place), I got some GGS screens for my new baby ;) also thanks to this thread have ordered a second set of RF 602 with shutter cable for remote use and a DK-17M.

....also thanks to this thread have ordered a second set of RF 602 with shutter cable for remote use and a DK-17M.

:eek: What no DK-19 :shrug:

Doesn't the DK-17M come with a rubber jobbie? Did in the pics, thought I'd check that out before looking at the 19 (besides they we're out of stock of the DK-19 I did look ;) )

Not with a DK-19 it wont (well mine didn't) - I ordered mine from WE & had to order the pair :LOL:

Keep meaning to get the DK-17M, but really wince at £20 for a tiny bit of glass.

Keep meaning to get the DK-17M, but really wince at £20 for a tiny bit of glass.

Yep just think of all the technology & manufacturing that went behind it :LOL:

Just got my D700 after trading my 5d MKII and I am glad I came back to Nikon. Everything is easier to change on the fly and all the buttons are where it feels right to me. Only thing is Nikon needs to make their menus simpler and maybe learn a thing or two from Canon there. But apart from that I am in love and won't leave Nikon again!

Just got my D700 after trading my 5d MKII and I am glad I came back to Nikon. Everything is easier to change on the fly and all the buttons are where it feels right to me. Only thing is Nikon needs to make their menus simpler and maybe learn a thing or two from Canon there. But apart from that I am in love and won't leave Nikon again!
good desision,
i find the menus nikon menus well easy compared to pentax, and canon i hated.

Thing with Canon is there are quite simplified. Initially when I played around with it it seemed basic compared to Nikon, but all the same functionality is in there. I generally prefer how Nikon works and feels. I bought a D700 knowing a new version is coming out, but to be honest who has seen tomorrow, might awell enjoy today!

Just received my second RF 602 transmitter & receiver with shutter cable for remote firing, is it just me and my settings or does the camera not AF when firing?

With my ML-L3 on the D90 I could just fire the cam when in Remote mode it would then AF and then fire.

I have the cam set to Self Timer 2 secs, but the AF wont move using AF ON or Half shutter press, when in this mode and it doesn't AF pre firing.

Do i have to either manually focus or AF before putting in to Self Timer mode?

Just received my second RF 602 transmitter & receiver with shutter cable for remote firing, is it just me and my settings or does the camera not AF when firing?

With my ML-L3 on the D90 I could just fire the cam when in Remote mode it would then AF and then fire.

I have the cam set to Self Timer 2 secs, but the AF wont move using AF ON or Half shutter press, when in this mode and it doesn't AF pre firing.

Do i have to either manually focus or AF before putting in to Self Timer mode?

You press the transmitter button half way down and it should auto focus then all the way down should open the shutter. If it doesn't then it's faulty :) This is the reason there are 3 wires

You press the transmitter button half way down and it should auto focus then all the way down should open the shutter. If it doesn't then it's faulty :) This is the reason there are 3 wires

lmao! I had switched the cam to Manual focus while attaching the shutter release cable ;)

lmao! I had switched the cam to Manual focus while attaching the shutter release cable ;)

We've all done it at some stage - or things very similar :thinking: well I have :LOL:

That reminds me of what I did yesterday. I kept thinking hold on, why are my images all blurred lol

I've lost track of the number of times I've pressed the shutter and thought Oh No it's broken......only to find I've still got the self timer on....(senior moment?)

I've lost track of the number of times I've pressed the shutter and thought Oh No it's broken......only to find I've still got the self timer on....(senior moment?)

Oh I've done that too, and it was really embarrassing to do it while photographing two people I was working with for the first time! :confused: :bang:

I've never done it since, though!

Or leaving 9 frame bracketing on... Many "D'oh" moments from that one.

Ordered dk-17m

dk-17m arrived

installed

nearly poked eye out

ordered dk-19

the end...

next on the list is a 24-70 but I doubt I'll be getting anything after that for a while ;)

I had a 70-200 and just found I didn't use it that much... not saying I wouldn't want it if you gave me yours Steve but if I'm paying then a holiday is coming next ;)

Just ordered my DK-17M. Should be here tomorrow. Still not amused by the price.

I had a 70-200 and just found I didn't use it that much... not saying I wouldn't want it if you gave me yours Steve but if I'm paying then a holiday is coming next ;)

Have yet to use mine properly - saying that I still have yet to use full stop :confused:

:thinking: Now thats a thought - but it seems that I will need it for the our holiday in the States in November :LOL:

Just ordered my DK-17M. Should be here tomorrow. Still not amused by the price.

Joys of owning a Nikon Tom (esp the 2nd time around) - but then again I bet you didn't have this hassle with Canon thou did you :LOL:

Well I got my Meike battery grip today and pretty ****ed off to be honest...

If I set the battery order to use the grip first the power will flick on and off, which is exactly the same problem I had with the Nikon mb-d80 grip on my D90 and why I got rid of it.

Any ideas? I can of course set it to use the internal battery first but whats the point if when that is depleted then the battery in the grip is going to be intermittent.... ;(

Sounds like one of the pins on the grip isn't making contact with the body. Have you tried it without a battery in the camera?

Are you using EN-EL3e's in the grip? The other possible reason is the battery isn't making proper contact with the grip.

Last edited:
Back