Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

Nearly had a heart attack yesterday afternoon! :eek:

Had the 24-70 on the D700, and then, all of a sudden, it wouldn't focus! I pressed the shutter half way, and it just failed to focus, and i got an "ERR" message on the top LCD screen! :(

I then took the lens off, back on, no joy....then took it off, gave the contacts a quick wipe a couple of times, and it seemed to work again.....

Anyone have the same problem?

I'm hoping that it was a contact problem, and not a problem with the lens/camera! :(

Standard fare really. Happens quite a lot

Thats good to hear....I think!! :cautious::thinking:

Any ideas on what it could be, or maybe just the contacts were a little dodgy?

Contacts just get a little dirty. I use electronic contact cleaner and a johnson's cotton bud (the more expensive cotton buds don't leave bits of bud behind!).

One of my D700's has only ever been fitted with my 70-200 VR. Yet I still get this happening to me. Regularly have to clean the contacts. On my other body which I use a couple different lenses...never had it happen...

Cool, so looks like i'll have to get me some contact cleaner then, and nick some of the little one's cotton buds!! :D ;)

Thanks guys!

Cool, so looks like i'll have to get me some contact cleaner then, and nick some of the little one's cotton buds!! :D ;)

Thanks guys!

You can buy proper contact cleaning pads which are best but as mentioned cheap cotton buds will leave bits of cotton behind which might be worse than the original dirt. Cassette head cleaning kit should have both bits in it.

Cassette head cleaning kit should have both bits in it.

For younger members this is what a cassette looks like..

21962474.jpg

:LOL:

Is it a BASF C60, C90 or a stretchable C120 :shrug:

Crikey dont show them an "8 track" will you :LOL:

For younger members this is what a cassette looks like..

21962474.jpg

:LOL:

Is it a BASF C60, C90 or a stretchable C120 :shrug:

Crikey dont show them an "8 track" will you :LOL:

Looks like a C120

I have stacks of C90 cassettes, at one time computer programs were stored on them :D

I'll retreat back to the D90 thread now :)

Last edited:
Thats probably as good as you're going to get it....

If i remember correctly, thats the price it was when i was looking, which was a couple of months ago....Went up from £1550 :(

It's not from Nikon UK/Europe so the warranty won't be valid here.

Even if it is from the UK/EU, but the seller isn't an official dealer you still may have trouble registering the warranty as Nikon may consider you to be the 2nd owner.....

I did happen to see one at Edinburgh airport Dixons/Jessops/Other and was only something silly like £1100 or £1200. Wish I'd got it now.....!

I did happen to see one at Edinburgh airport Dixons/Jessops/Other and was only something silly like £1100 or £1200. Wish I'd got it now.....!

Mmmmmm - as they say "Thats life" - we've all done it at some stage...

It's now 18months since my 1st D700 purchase.
Still wearing a satisfied grin.
I've since added a second body and settled on my lens line up.

(lack of funds prevents me buying lenses I want but don't need), one day tho':cool:

trevorbray said:
It's now 18months since my 1st D700 purchase.
Still wearing a satisfied grin.
I've since added a second body and settled on my lens line up.

(lack of funds prevents me buying lenses I want but don't need), one day tho':cool:

Hmmm, I'm still not settled. Got a 60 2.8 today, but will soon be selling my 80-200 in favour of a 135 f/2. Then I just want a 351.4 (all £1400 worth!) and I may, just may, be settled. So far I'm on;

24-70
35 f/2
50 1.4
60 2.8
85 1.4
80-200

I would sell the 24-70 to get the 35 but I just can't bear to let it go. Funny really as it took me months to get used to it Will soon be my only zoom though.

Joined the D700 club yesterday:)

Hmmm, I'm still not settled. Got a 60 2.8 today, but will soon be selling my 80-200 in favour of a 135 f/2. Then I just want a 351.4 (all £1400 worth!) and I may, just may, be settled. So far I'm on;

24-70
35 f/2
50 1.4
60 2.8
85 1.4
80-200

I would sell the 24-70 to get the 35 but I just can't bear to let it go. Funny really as it took me months to get used to it Will soon be my only zoom though.

I absolutely love the 35G. I've only kept the 24-70 just in case I need the wide end as I have no other alternatives.

nickshek said:
I absolutely love the 35G. I've only kept the 24-70 just in case I need the wide end as I have no other alternatives.

I'm definitely going to get it, just got to find the money for it first! As a focal length it's ideal for me, but the f/2 doesn't cut the mustard in really low light for me, the IQ is very hit and miss for me.

:thinking: Whats the "ISO sensitivity settings" set up that most of you use for the D700 :shrug:

Do you have the auto ISO on or off - Whats the Max ISO & min Shutter speed set to.. Is your ISO set to 200?

Base ISO set to 200, max set to 6400, shutter speed dependant on the lens Im using. I tend to follow the 1/focal length rule or better, so on my 300 f/4 I had it set to 1/400th min shutter.
I only activate auto ISO in certain circumstances though, its not on all the time. Ive set it to the lower fcn button on the front, so 1 click and I can turn it on and off

I use the auto ISO on occasion, mainly when light is a bit limiting.

.... I tend to follow the 1/focal length rule or better, so on my 300 f/4 I had it set to 1/400th min shutter

:thinking: So if I was using a 35mm f2 then I would be looking at say 1/60th :shrug:

Back