Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

I have been reading this since the start and was switching back to Canon with the 5DMKII, however having read this and other threads from Alison and others i have taken the plunge and my D700 arrives tomorrow.
I am getting quiet excited and have fingers crossed the metering is ok, as the other one i used had to be knocked down by 1 stop in sunlight, was that a bad copy or is it something i need to just get use to?

Mine has arrived today (YIPEEE) and something that will be going straight onto my menu is, exposure delay mode, i use this on my D300s a lot, very handy when you cant be bothered to fit a cable release.

I find the metering on mine to be unbelievably accurate indoors but not ventured out in anything that could be construed as bright sunlight yet ;)

Hope you like yours :)

Mine has arrived today (YIPEEE) and something that will be going straight onto my menu is, exposure delay mode, i use this on my D300s a lot, very handy when you cant be bothered to fit a cable release.

Yes, I find puting the cable release on a bit fiddly and it's a Nikon model.

Welcome to the D700 owners club (y)

My biggest surprise was with the ISO... You can walk around a dim party minus a flash with ISO 1200 and a fast lens and get some really good shots that you just could not get previously without a flash and then the risk of over exposing when the subject was too close and having less control. I love my D200 but they are chalk and cheese when it comes to ISO..... Still not decided about selling the D200 to get a D300.....

I find the metering on mine to be unbelievably accurate indoors but not ventured out in anything that could be construed as bright sunlight yet ;)

Hope you like yours :)

i have decided not to get too hung up on the metering, LR will correct this in a flash or i could just key in -0.7 comp like others seem to.

Looking ouside today i think it will be a long time before i have to worry about sunshine and overexposure.

Ali can i ask how you have set up your ISO sensitivity settings please.

i have decided not to get too hung up on the metering, LR will correct this in a flash or i could just key in -0.7 comp like others seem to.

Looking ouside today i think it will be a long time before i have to worry about sunshine and overexposure.

Ali can i ask how you have set up your ISO sensitivity settings please.

They do tend to over expose, just had a surprise 21st party for my son's partner and took about 100 images. Virtually every one had to be adjusted between minus 0.3 and minus 1.0 !!

They do tend to over expose, just had a surprise 21st party for my son's partner and took about 100 images. Virtually every one had to be adjusted between minus 0.3 and minus 1.0 !!

I know, it was something that did worry me but i felt it was something i could live with for all it's other benefits.

lol coming from a 5D that underexposed like buggery I quite like it! Not had too many blinkies yet and those that I have managed to mess up have been rescuable so happy camper so far ;)

You can set them to over/under expose by a set amount on every shot you know. You could set it to underexpose by 0.3 or 0.5 and then a lot more of your 100 shots would be right :)

With ISO I do completely wing it :) I shoot in manual most of the time and have just got used to walking into a room and thinking ISO 800 f4 1/60 and I take it from there. If it's over exposed at those settings I'll drop the ISO and if it's underexposed I'll open the aperture to f2.8 and take it from there. I've not tried the auto ISO indoors at all because I'd rather mix the ambient manually anyway but I will try it on outdoor shots where the light conditions are variable, that's where I see me using it quite happily :)

Last edited:
Ok Ali thanks.
i think i will be using auto ISO once the sun comes out (or if the sun comes out) i am just not sure how to set up the ISO sensitivity settings to give me optimum exposure.

Regards the metering....

Has anyone installed the new firmware for the D700?? I seem to recall the metering was supposed to be improved in the recent firmware upgrade.

I ask because I find the D700 (with my old firmware) wants about -0.7 exoposure compensation for average scenes whereas the D3s is much more accurate and I I leave it at - 0.3 for average scenes.

I wonder if Nikon have matched the D700 to the D3s..........

I was going to download and install it today, just have not got around to it, i did read the fixes and metering was not mentioned but a fix for auto ISO was

Last edited:
I lurk around this thread with a serious case of the green eyed monster. I bought the D300 in September last year and I really wish I had bought the D700 instead! im a bit gutted, I do love my 300 but the ISO noise is pretty bad and I would love full frame. In the meantime i will continue to snoop here and save my pennies. ;-)

(I know I have a D3/D3x, but the metering is more or less the same) Reference the overexposure thing - I found that in bright sunlight I had to underexpose up to 2/3 stop...

Now that we're getting more overcast days, I've found that the metered exposure is spot-on with thick cloud right up to thin overcast. Only when the sun actually peeps out do I have to compensate drastically...

one of my D3's overexposes by about 1/3 of a stop, the other seems about right. Haven't had bright sunlight though :(

I haven't been brave enough to download the firmware update yet, (a) is it easy to do the update and (b) any issues/problems that can occur.

I've got an event to shoot this weekend and next and don't want to risk knackering a camera that's working fine at the moment!

I've already got a computer having a hissy fit every now and again since a few system changes but I can cope with that, camera is a different matter!

I'll have a go at this one.

If you don't chimp or want to review what youv'e just shot then simply turn off the picture review function in the playback menu (top of page 265 of the owners manual). If you do occasionally use the review function then set it as one of the functions to turn on an off in My Menu.

Can't try it myself as I'm at work.

Please don;t beat me if this is a load of gash cos I've only got the manual to learn from at the moment.

Can someone say what "chimp" means, please?

I haven't been brave enough to download the firmware update yet, (a) is it easy to do the update and (b) any issues/problems that can occur.

I've got an event to shoot this weekend and next and don't want to risk knackering a camera that's working fine at the moment!

I've already got a computer having a hissy fit every now and again since a few system changes but I can cope with that, camera is a different matter!

I did it before I took any pics with the camera.
It is quite straightforward.
Print off Nikon's detailed instructions and follow them to the letter.
Have a formatted CF card ready.
Make sure the battery is fully charged.
BTW, I use a card reader.

I've had a D300 for the last couple of years. I love it but I'm started to get frustrated by the image quality at higher ISO, so the D700 is looking more attractive by the month, as it's basically a D300 with a bigger/better sensor/viewfinder.

Theoretically, as I already own a 50mm, a 24-70mm, and a 70-300mm, I could sell my D300, and 3 DX lenses (35mm, 16-85mm, 12-24mm) in order to finance an upgrade. But this is slightly upsetting, as I'd just settled on a great team of zoom lenses, breaking at 24mm (36mm EFL) and 70mm (105mm EFL), which would all go to cock when I lost the 1.5x crop factor. I suppose I'd need to buy the new 16-35mm too, and put up with the lower telephoto break.

What makes this even more messy are my buying options: new and used. There don't seem to be many used D700 about - maybe I'm looking in the wrong places - and the ones I see aren't that cheap. Plus, the D700 is likely to be replaced this year; do I go for the new version, or hope there's a glut of cheap D700s flooding the market.

The other option is stick with my current set-up. Maybe Nikon will release a better high-ISO DX body sometime.

:bang:

There comes a point where you just have to take a punt Keith. I asked Nikon about a new D700 before I bought mine and it is not expected for a few months yet. Now this is just my guess but if they do go down the same route as the D3 > D3x/s then it's not going to be any cheaper than it is right now.

Like SimonTALM I may look at adding video to my output but that's not likely to happen until next year and i simply have to accept that it would be extra cost to do that.

I'm selling all my Canon gear to change over, at least some of your lenses would still work ;)

Can someone say what "chimp" means, please?

When you constantly check the back of the camera after each shot. You look like a chimp when doing it hence the name

Some Chimps ;D

chimpers_row-500x332.jpg

Wiki : Chimping is a colloquial term used in digital photography (especially when using a digital single-lens reflex camera) to describe the habit of checking every photo on the camera display (LCD) immediately after capture.

Last edited:
I've had a D300 for the last couple of years. I love it but I'm started to get frustrated by the image quality at higher ISO, so the D700 is looking more attractive by the month, as it's basically a D300 with a bigger/better sensor/viewfinder.

Theoretically, as I already own a 50mm, a 24-70mm, and a 70-300mm, I could sell my D300, and 3 DX lenses (35mm, 16-85mm, 12-24mm) in order to finance an upgrade. But this is slightly upsetting, as I'd just settled on a great team of zoom lenses, breaking at 24mm (36mm EFL) and 70mm (105mm EFL), which would all go to cock when I lost the 1.5x crop factor. I suppose I'd need to buy the new 16-35mm too, and put up with the lower telephoto break.

What makes this even more messy are my buying options: new and used. There don't seem to be many used D700 about - maybe I'm looking in the wrong places - and the ones I see aren't that cheap. Plus, the D700 is likely to be replaced this year; do I go for the new version, or hope there's a glut of cheap D700s flooding the market.

The other option is stick with my current set-up. Maybe Nikon will release a better high-ISO DX body sometime.

:bang:

No doubt the D400 will be better than the D300s/D300 at higher ISO but by that time your D300 will be worth even less, just like my D200 is now. You have lenses to sell BUT the reality is that glass holds it's value and if you bought any of your lenses more than 2 years ago they are probably worth what you paid! Looking through my lenses that I bought with the D200 (50mm f1.8 paid £55 new, 105mm 2.8 paid £440 new, 18-200 paid £400 new) they are all worth more now (well the 18-200 is still worth about what I paid!). Anyway take the plunge as if the D700s comes out you might find yourself looking at £1999 rather than £1799.

The D300 prices did come down, as the D700 prices will, but not for quite a while. You would have to wait till next year before D700 prices are falling and remember that this is the first FF Nikon in the pro-sumer level so there will still be a long list of D300 owners wanting one and keeping the price high.

When you constantly check the back of the camera after each shot. You look like a chimp when doing it hence the name

Some Chimps ;D

Wiki : Chimping is a colloquial term used in digital photography (especially when using a digital single-lens reflex camera) to describe the habit of checking every photo on the camera display (LCD) immediately after capture.

Is there an expression for a person that keeps looking at the back of their film camera after every shot and going DOH!

Is there an expression for a person that keeps looking at the back of their film camera after every shot and going DOH!

I still use Film at times and i am sad to say on the odd moment of madness i have done that. my Wife normally catches me and has a good laugh.

I still use Film at times and i am sad to say on the odd moment of madness i have done that. my Wife normally catches me and has a good laugh.

When I am shooting film and someone asks to have a look at the picture I show them the back of the camera, the look of confusion.......

Some Chimps ;D

chimpers_row-500x332.jpg

Thanks for that, James.
Monkey business(y)

I have just installed the 1.02 firmware update, all seems ok but it obviously does not fix the metering as just been out in the sun and had to key -0.7 to expose as i would like, but even so i have to say the images i got today on the estuary with the 24-70 were stunning

Last edited:
I'm jealous Tony, stuck here in an office block with a view of the Trafford Centre and the M60. grrrrr

Enjoy. ;)

I'm jealous Tony, stuck here in an office block with a view of the Trafford Centre and the M60. grrrrr

Enjoy. ;)

Hi Ali, i love the M60 it leads to the promise land that is,,,, Old Trafford, here you are this is what i saw this morning and can see from my garden.
4370326516_bfdc91c235_o.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice, everyone. I guess, if I ask in a D700 thread about upgrading to a D700, everyone's going to say "do it". So I'm factoring that into the equation. But your advice is very welcome, even if it makes me poorer :)

I thought of another sticking point, which is the 24-70 becoming my only walkaround - unless I use the 50mm a lot more. The 16-85 is an awesome lens for the money, and it would be like selling a friend.

Ahh, read this thread it will explain all.
Sorry, must have missed that page.

That's not good. One of the things I love about the D300 is its metering, and I never usually need much comp, unless I'm shooting something black, or the sky is incredibly white.

I would have thought the metering systems between the D300/700/3 were very similar, so I don't understand why this seems to be a problem. Are we talking matrix metering?

lol I've been up and down that train line a few times. I used to live in Diptford and got the train from Newton Abbott to London often enough :)

It's amazing when the waves are coming over the train! :)

lol I've been up and down that train line a few times. I used to live in Diptford and got the train from Newton Abbott to London often enough :)

It's amazing when the waves are coming over the train! :)

It is and it amazes me that they keep running despite the Weather, that would be the other side of the Estuary *** as i am in Exmouth so looking over to the Plymouth to london line.

Back