Nikon D700 official owners/users thread, anything related to the D700

Some gorgeous shots there Guy ... you captured the nature of the bride beautifully.

So any news on this great camera being replaced anytime soon, or is it all really just rumours ?

I read Nikon Rumors, and there's been nothing about a new FX body. Official word is nothing 'til next year, but that could just be to keep people off their backs.

I was speaking to Nikon customer services yesterday and I asked the question about a new version of the D700 and was told officially there is nothing planned, but to keep watching early next year as there might be something announced then.

I was speaking to Nikon customer services yesterday and I asked the question about a new version of the D700 and was told officially there is nothing planned, but to keep watching early next year as there might be something announced then.

I was just curious really, as i can't see me needing to replace mine anytime soon, the current version more than suits my needs and skill level :)

And great usage too (y)

I wouldn't change my D700 for a slightly improved version but a new version with dual card slots and video is likely to be it's replacement as seen with the D300. The dual card slots would be good.

I joined the D700 owners club last week and although I haven't had much opportunity to use it yet I've found the My Menu and the two taps of the Info button to be really useful. Very pleased with the results from it so far and love the huge viewfinder - it's like using a film camera again!

The thing that really stands out, for me, in a D700 is the high ISO capabilities. Now that I'm in Saudi, this isn't a feature I'm in much need of! I'd happily take a D700x (a D700 with the D3x processor in it).

I have a feeling that we may see the D700s sometimes later this year, maybe in time for Christmas, and the D700x next year. At least, I hope so.

Well, I finally joined the D700 owners club today, going to relegate my D90 to a backup body now.

Apart from the obvious crop/full frame differences, will I really notice a big difference in terms of high ISO performance and overall image IQ?

Well, I finally joined the D700 owners club today, going to relegate my D90 to a backup body now.

Apart from the obvious crop/full frame differences, will I really notice a big difference in terms of high ISO performance and overall image IQ?

Welcome and you can change your camera bag now :)

Now that I'm in Saudi, this isn't a feature I'm in much need of! I'd happily take a D700x (a D700 with the D3x processor in it).

That's what I always hoped, and was surprised Nikon didn't do it.

Sony forums are full of either ex-D700 owners or dual shooters (keeping the D700) now shooting the Sony A900 as a result.

Nikon really missed a trick not getting something out sooner.

Having said that the D700 is still a fine camera if you are willing to trade high ISO for resolution.

Official owner now and love the D700 and 24-70G combo. Coming from Canon only I can now say I am a Nikon convert. I can't see myself upgrading the body anythime soon.

What profile do you all use for Lightroom? For my D90 I tended to go with Camera Standard, any tips for the D700?

I love mine with the 24-70mm, 50mm and 85mm lenses. Not so impressed with the 70-200 though. The tonal quality is fantastic although my D300s is very close.

Well, I finally joined the D700 owners club today.

Nice one Dave

will I really notice a big difference in terms of high ISO performance and overall image IQ?

I think you will notice a difference in your portrait work, you will certainly notice a difference in ISO capabilities, your Tamron 28-75mm will work great on it, as will your 50mm 1.4 :)

What profile do you all use for Lightroom? For my D90 I tended to go with Camera Standard, any tips for the D700?

You can install the Adobe DNG Profiles. These emulate the picture controls pretty well.

Just upgraded to the D700 from a Canon 1000D. I bought a 50mm f/1.8D AF lens whilst I build up funds for a 24-70mm and grip. Only problem I've found is I can't get this lens to autofocus, any help appreciated! :thinking:

Just upgraded to the D700 from a Canon 1000D. I bought a 50mm f/1.8D AF lens whilst I build up funds for a 24-70mm and grip. Only problem I've found is I can't get this lens to autofocus, any help appreciated! :thinking:

The lens has to be locked at f/22 and the aperture controlled by the camera - not sure if that is the cause?

You can install the Adobe DNG Profiles. These emulate the picture controls pretty well.

Ah, right, that's what I already have. I wasn't sure if there were any actual camera specific ones though.

Any views on third party grips for the D700 vs the Nikon branded one? I was going to post in the third party grip thread but it seems to have turned into some sort of bun-fight at the patents office.

im not going to be much use but a member of this forum 'oskanoears' bought a 3rd party grip that was identical to my nikon one one for half the price, i would have bought it

Talking of grips, well impressed with Nikon. I sent them my receipt for my D700 on Monday and DHL have just delivered my free MB-D10 grip (y)

Oh good, I sent them my receipt Monday too so hopefully I'll have my grip waiting for me when I get home :D

Did it arrive? Took me a while to work out how mine worked, totally different to my D90 in that one of the batteries still remains in its original chamber, whereas both batteries go into the grip on the D90. Love the look of a gripped D700 though, bigger than the D90 and nice to handle. Especially loving the 8fps :love:

Guy, I can honestly say that these are among you best EVER! Superb:clap:

Agreed, I didn't comment as the post was from a few months ago, but I was amazed to see they were taken with a D700, some of the best wedding stuff I've seen on here.

Did it arrive? Took me a while to work out how mine worked, totally different to my D90 in that one of the batteries still remains in its original chamber, whereas both batteries go into the grip on the D90. Love the look of a gripped D700 though, bigger than the D90 and nice to handle. Especially loving the 8fps :love:

Yep, and I'm a happy chappy :D:D:D

Any views on third party grips for the D700 vs the Nikon branded one?

Why spend so much on a great camera then put something unbranded on the bottom of it ?

Especially loving the 8fps :love:

Are you using AA,s or an ENEL4e battery on it ?

Why spend so much on a great camera then put something unbranded on the bottom of it ?

Are you using AA,s or an ENEL4e battery on it ?

AAs to get the 8fps, only got EN-EL3a batteries, which I don't think gives the full 8?

Guy, I can honestly say that these are among you best EVER! Superb:clap:

Agreed, I didn't comment as the post was from a few months ago, but I was amazed to see they were taken with a D700, some of the best wedding stuff I've seen on here.

Thanks folks - it's a great camera. Some more with lots of D700:

Bury Court Barn, Surrey (yesterday)

http://www.guycollierphotography.com/?p=4286

Paris, France

http://www.guycollierphotography.com/?p=4092

Gate Street Barn, Surrey

http://www.guycollierphotography.com/?p=3811

Thanks. I use 4 lenses really.

Most of the time it's a 24-70/2.8 and a 50/1.4. Other than that I'll use an 85/1.4 (only in the Bury Court one above) and a 70-200/2.8 VRII. I'll be adding a 24/1.4 next year.

I've got the 50, but the 24-70 is next on the list, I'll have to make do with the Tamron 28-75 2.8 for the time being.

Anyway, thanks for sharing those, amazing to see a D700 in action like that.

Back